NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ColeJ said:

That's a candle?! I thought it was a retro 70s-looking maple leaf. It looks oddly familiar but I can't place it. Like maybe an old Canada Cup leaf or something.

Only joking.  It obviously is the top part of the leaf, but to me, it did resemble a candle.  The blue part would be the flame.  It does have a retro look about it.

As for the Canucks, if they aren't going to get rid of the Orca, then just keep it as is.  If they were going to tweak it, then they should have done it for this season.  

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I wish they would finally just get rid of the Orca. 

Make your life a bit more pleasant and just learn to accept it. Its not bad. I like it and Im interested to see what a tweaked version of it may be. Trust me its a lot more fun to see the positives of what is than to constantly bemoan things that are out of your control.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

55 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Trust me its a lot more fun to see the positives of what is than to constantly bemoan things that are out of your control.

So according to you we should spend our time going "everything is great!" because we lack the ability to actually change it? Sorry man, that sounds awfully dull 😛

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Of all the possible alternate logos they could have come up with...that one is pretty awful. A rare whiff from the Leafs. 

I appreciate that it's not another "TML" attempt. My preference for letter-based logos is for them to reference the locale rather than team name, and so this one has that going for it. 

I'm not sure if I want to see this logo on the shoulders or not. The Leafs put the classic leaf on the shoulders twice, paired with the Ballard leaf. With the classic Leaf making a comeback as the primary? It's left them without an alternate. 

This isn't the best idea out there but it's worth seeing if it lands. 

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

Make your life a bit more pleasant and just learn to accept it. Its not bad. I like it and Im interested to see what a tweaked version of it may be. Trust me its a lot more fun to see the positives of what is than to constantly bemoan things that are out of your control.

I do not want to accept it though. I do not like the Orca on the Canucks jerseys and as a lifelong Canucks fan - who grew up with the Orca uniforms and the West Coast Express with Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi and Brenden Morrison, I honestly never have. It just does not look like it belongs on their jerseys at all and I do not like the look of it. I know what the Canucks do is out of my/our control, however, I thought the point of these threads was to discuss our opinions on logos and uniforms with other people, whether it is out of our control or not. I respect your opinion about the Canucks uniforms and the Orca, however, I respectfully disagree with you.

I know you would hate that, But I'm one of few people actually liked the Orca. It's very fitting in this region and honouring the native art of Pacific Northwest. Honestly, Stick n' Rink looks better as a alternate logo. Should've the Primary? NOPE. 

Sorry, but it's just my opinion.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

9 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

So according to you we should spend our time going "everything is great!" because we lack the ability to actually change it? Sorry man, that sounds awfully dull 😛

I appreciate that it's not another "TML" attempt. My preference for letter-based logos is for them to reference the locale rather than team name, and so this one has that going for it. 

I'm not sure if I want to see this logo on the shoulders or not. The Leafs put the classic leaf on the shoulders twice, paired with the Ballard leaf. With the classic Leaf making a comeback as the primary? It's left them without an alternate. 

This isn't the best idea out there but it's worth seeing if it lands. 

I wouldnt mind if they put a (for lack of more concise phrasing) blank Ballard leaf on the shoulders.

I KNOW(think?) that I am in the minority, but i really like the Ballard leaf and wish it stayed around in some form.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

3 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I KNOW(think?) that I am in the minority, but i really like the Ballard leaf and wish it stayed around in some form.

You are 😛 It needs to stay gone, imo.

10 hours ago, retro said:

I think it’s perfectly fine if they don’t have an alternate logo.

Sure, but I grew up during the 90s and 2000s, when the Leafs had some form of alternate logo. Be it the old style leaf or the TML monogram. I'm well aware that the Leafs went decades without an alternate logo on the uniforms, but personally? The shoulders just look empty without something there.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:50 PM, ColeJ said:

I LOVE that Stars logo. I'm just now terrified the sweaters will feature red instead of green now.

Call it Mooterus PTSD if you must.

I just want to see it in kelly/yellow/black for some controversy. 

Also, if we're talking an alternate logo for the Leafs, I have a fantastic idea!

27879426614_290d9933fc_z.jpg 

Take the '67 leaf and combine it with the Toronto Arena's "T" insignia.

14 hours ago, Bayne said:

This is one of the dumbest, smarmiest, most obnoxious posts I’ve seen anywhere in a long, long time. It’s especially tone deaf considering the entire point of this message board.

4 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

I know you would hate that, But I'm one of few people actually liked the Orca. It's very fitting in this region and honouring the native art of Pacific Northwest. Honestly, Stick n' Rink looks better as a alternate logo. Should've the Primary? NOPE. 

Sorry, but it's just my opinion.

Love the Orca, hate the Drake.

The logo SF posted would be slick.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

You are 😛 It needs to stay gone, imo.

I agree there; I think the Ballard-era leaf is just too angular and rigid. It feels like a overly-"modern" take on the logo and lacks the sort of vintage look that the Leafs should embody. They're among the original NHL franchises, and I feel they look the sharpest with the more jagged-edged leaf. I like the last alternate logo they had a lot, personally.

Plus the jagged leaf is what's associated with the cup wins, while the angular Ballard leaf is more often associated with the team being absolute garbage

15 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

So according to you we should spend our time going "everything is great!" because we lack the ability to actually change it? Sorry man, that sounds awfully dull

No, not what I said. Its fine to criticise a logo and have opinions, thats obvious. What Im referring to is the comments that lack any consideration of what the real life context is. Its just so easy for people to continuously state how they would want to see this instead of this without evaluating what the reasons are for why things are the way they are. I guess I'm just a bit tired of reading opinions that are based on nothing else other than "I wish they'd use my favourite logo instead of the logo they're using now" and repeating the same opinions ad nauseam.

15 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I do not want to accept it though. I do not like the Orca on the Canucks jerseys and as a lifelong Canucks fan - who grew up with the Orca uniforms and the West Coast Express with Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi and Brenden Morrison, I honestly never have. It just does not look like it belongs on their jerseys at all and I do not like the look of it. I know what the Canucks do is out of my/our control, however, I thought the point of these threads was to discuss our opinions on logos and uniforms with other people, whether it is out of our control or not. I respect your opinion about the Canucks uniforms and the Orca, however, I respectfully disagree with you.

You dont want to accept it? Sorry, that to me is a bit of an entitled way of saying "its not the logo I'd like to see them use". Its the logo they've been using for 23 years. Do you not accept reality?

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

This is one of the dumbest, smarmiest, most obnoxious posts I’ve seen anywhere in a long, long time. It’s especially tone deaf considering the entire point of this message board.

Lol ok.

16 minutes ago, Bayne said:

No, not what I said. Its fine to criticise a logo and have opinions, thats obvious. What Im referring to is the comments that lack any consideration of what the real life context is. Its just so easy for people to continuously state how they would want to see this instead of this without evaluating what the reasons are for why things are the way they are. I guess I'm just a bit tired of reading opinions that are based on nothing else other than "I wish they'd use my favourite logo instead of the logo they're using now" and repeating the same opinions ad nauseam.

You dont want to accept it? Sorry, that to me is a bit of an entitled way of saying "its not the logo I'd like to see them use". Its the logo they've been using for 23 years. Do you not accept reality?

Lol ok.

How about you making sweeping declarations about a person’s disposition based on a difference of opinion over a sports logo, then trying to offer sagely advice despite the fact nobody requested it and you’re in no position to give it. Seems like an extremely passive aggressive and petty way to say “I don’t like your opinion.”

I also don’t know where you get off saying people don’t accept reality when you try to wave away everything that contradicts your version of it.

6 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

How about you making sweeping declarations about a person’s disposition based on a difference of opinion over a sports logo, then trying to offer sagely advice despite the fact nobody requested it and you’re in no position to give it. Seems like an extremely passive aggressive and petty way to say “I don’t like your opinion.”

I also don’t know where you get off saying people don’t accept reality when you try to wave away everything that contradicts your version of it.

Sweeping declarations - that's a bit overblown. It's really got nothing to do with a difference of opinion about a sports logo at all, that's kind of irrelevant. Again, it's about the relevance of an opinion in terms of its real world application. I thought I made that fairly clear.

My version of reality? I don't get it. Reality is reality, that's what I was getting at.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I just want to see it in kelly/yellow/black for some controversy. 

Also, if we're talking an alternate logo for the Leafs, I have a fantastic idea!

27879426614_290d9933fc_z.jpg 

Take the '67 leaf and combine it with the Toronto Arena's "T" insignia.

Let's not... Sorry

Archived