NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

7 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

And drop the name "Canucks" and go with "Vancouver Orcas" - "LET'S GO ORCAS!" Clap, clap! "LET'S GO ORCAS!!" Clap, clap!

Honestly, Orcas isn’t nearly as bad as you make it out to be. That’s a top-tier name in any league. It’d also be good for a Vancouver NBA or MLB team.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Canucks ownership is clueless and inept. An ownership that "gets it" would have a primary brand that looks like this:

6a5726e4b2c252db481cb69c065e8219.jpg_cf.jpg.0ba2a53ab3b439f1fc3bfc576fb75843.jpgVLLkXHd.png_cf.png.60b91fbfddc36d6f73b93e640a22d720.png

For what it’s worth, the Canucks have also done a ton of brand research over the past few seasons, and the overwhelming fan preference for Stick-in-Rink and Johnny Canuck that you keep trumpeting is simply not supported by the data.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

For what it’s worth, the Canucks have also done a ton of brand research over the past few seasons, and the overwhelming fan preference for Stick-in-Rink and Johnny Canuck that you keep trumpeting is simply not supported by the data.

Depends "what" data. The majority of the Canucks fan base, which is 30 and over, want the orca gone and replaced by Johnny Canuck/Stick in Rink. The Canucks are a 1970 franchise with a 25-year pre-NHL history.

Penguins - Penguin crest.

Sharks - Shark crest.

Bruins - Bruin logo on the shoulders with Spoked B as primary.

Blackhawk - Chief Black Hawk crest.

Canadiens - CH(Club De Hockey Canadien) crest.

Golden Knights - Golden knight helmet with V for Vegas.

MLS Whitecaps - Whitecapped mountains w/VW reflection crest.

BC Lions - Mountain lion head logo.

Canucks - Johnny Canuck>>>>>>Orca.

My biggest problem with the current Orca is how its colors don’t match the team’s blue and green. Really sticks out on an otherwise classic design. 

Fix that, and it can stay. 

(Though my preference would be the modernized Stick in Rink to become the primary.)

3 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

My biggest problem with the current Orca is how its colors don’t match the team’s blue and green. Really sticks out on an otherwise classic design. 

Fix that, and it can stay. 

(Though my preference would be the modernized Stick in Rink to become the primary.)

The modernized Stick in Rink should look like this:

20170329_123918.thumb.jpg.3ae831c721a4e04815182723f04e35c9.jpg

21 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Not a fan of this guy? (I don’t love the silver outline.) 

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

This is the best version of the SiR.

I love the C part in the negative space but the stick is crooked and the end of the blade isn't accurate in comparison to an actual hockey stick's blade.

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

There should be no stick-in-rink. How bout that.

Much better. Heck, both of these options are markedly better:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Much like EVERY time the Atlanta Falcons’ logo receives serious discussion here, we fight over why hidden letters in logos should emphasize city names over team names. Emphasize the city, but without the wordmark over the crest.

3 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Bruins - Bruin logo on the shoulders with Spoked B as primary.

But their namesake isn't represented on their primary crest!  They should probably replace the Spoked-B with a cartoon bear in a roundel right away.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:49 AM, selby56 said:

Carolina will be the team getting a new road uniform if I'm not mistaken. I know our new owner isn't the biggest fan of the current white jersey and tries to get us to wear red as often as we can on the road.

Could Carolina make the Black Alternate the home, the Red for away, and then use the Whalers as the alternate?  I'm not sure of the home/away rules for jersey color.

3 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The modernized Stick in Rink should look like this:

20170329_123918.thumb.jpg.3ae831c721a4e04815182723f04e35c9.jpg

I dunno. This just has no presence on a blue background. Everything is so thin and dainty. Squint and you might miss it.

I definitely think the mark should be white on a blue background, as it appears much bolder and makes sense (it being a rink and all).

This modification still doesn’t work to create a C. It’s no better than the original’s unsuccessful attempt to turn the keyline into a letterform. It’s actually executed just like the “C” in the modern version, which isn’t very successful, either, in my opinion.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

19 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Canucks ownership is clueless and inept. An ownership that "gets it" would have a primary brand that looks like this:

6a5726e4b2c252db481cb69c065e8219.jpg_cf.jpg.0ba2a53ab3b439f1fc3bfc576fb75843.jpgVLLkXHd.png_cf.png.60b91fbfddc36d6f73b93e640a22d720.png

Fun fact - I made that Canucks logo some years ago now.

8prlQWA.png

8 hours ago, Morgo said:

But their namesake isn't represented on their primary crest!  They should probably replace the Spoked-B with a cartoon bear in a roundel right away.

B for Boston and for Bruins. I already mentioned that the bruin is on their shoulders. 

On 2/27/2019 at 10:19 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Eh, I'd be happy to do away with the Stick-in-Rink forever. It would be better to use a different, updated 2D Centurion-style lumberjack logo (portrait with neutral expression) in front of a simple backing shape, paired with the Millionaires' "V" logo on the shoulders (because they won a cup, unlike the Stick-in-Rink Canucks). A cleaned-up flying skate, like the one illustrated by @vtgco would also work well in this scenario.

I'm really honored that you like my Flying Skate enough to pitch it as a potential permanent look!

That said, I personally dislike the idea of the Canucks returning to that logo and/or color scheme.

Red, black, & yellow feels way too Calgary, and the skate is pretty generic.

IMO, the West Coast Express has been the best scheme the Canucks have had. Blue & maroon has history in the WHL era Canucks, and it just feels like Vancouver.

Blue and green is a good second option, though.

I agree with you about having a flat, neutral Johnny, though! The current Johnny is a bit too busy to work alongside the rest of the Canucks logo set.

8 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

B for Boston and for Bruins. I already mentioned that the bruin is on their shoulders. 

C for Canucks... I think shoulder patches are a whole other wormhole, especially for Vancouver.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Archived