NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

I wonder what the jerseys will look like for next years winter classic. Do the Stars dare go the North Stars route? I think I see them pulling a fauxback or going to what they wore in the early years in Dallas. I think I'd expect the Predators to likely go fauxback, their original uniforms dont exactly scream winter classic.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I’m starting to :censored: ing hate Canucks uniform “discussions.”

If I wasn't a Canucks fan I would too. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Just now, Bayne said:

If I wasn't a Canucks fan I would too. 

I mean I don’t even like the orca and I’m at the point where I’ll accept it so long as they lose the “VANCOUVER” script. 

At least that would remove the thing that seems to bother everyone. It may not be the perfect change, but it would be enough to shut everyone up and make most people sort of happy. 

7 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Or you get something like this concept posted on Reddit a while back... Turning the C into a V sure is something.

a8bithxm49l11.jpg

Is this the same feeling of nausea and horror that Hollywood execs get when a Vancouver-specific sign or landmark makes its way into a movie?

Whatever happens to the Canucks uniform next year, I think it will likely be better than what we got now.  Just removing the "Vancouver" script would be enough to make me happy.  Could be pleasantly surprise if there is more.  Just give us the the blue/green/white gloves back!

spacer.png

The Orca isn't what you'd consider a classic logo but that doesn't mean it's entirely without merit.  The Haida Art style is eye catching, the silver highlights are striking and it just looks more professional than any of the other options.  Hearing that the 'C' was inspired by collegiate art and that Trevor Linden was instrumental in the design process puts it in a better light as well.

You remove the script and the jersey no longer looks cut-and-paste.  The numbers don't feature green so who says the primary logo has to.  The green stripes are bold enough to keep everything balanced and grounded.

Ra21wGp.jpgZMRpWuJ.jpg

I like the script, it’s okay without it, but I think I actually prefer it. Sometimes things that shouldn’t work or don’t follow the rules of design work. Like the Isles logo it’s horrible for all intensive purposes however I like it. I’m not sure the rhyme or reason, but it works for me.

On 3/1/2019 at 2:11 AM, vtgco said:

IMO, the West Coast Express has been the best scheme the Canucks have had. Blue & maroon has history in the WHL era Canucks, and it just feels like Vancouver.

Blue and green is a good second option, though.

Cannot agree with that one, the Canucks have to be royal blue and kelly green, in my opinion. That's the only scheme they've had that has felt PNW to me.

Still hate that orca logo, trying to grasp the physics behind it makes my head do a Scanners.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, Morgo said:

The Orca isn't what you'd consider a classic logo but that doesn't mean it's entirely without merit.  The Haida Art style is eye catching, the silver highlights are striking and it just looks more professional than any of the other options.  Hearing that the 'C' was inspired by collegiate art and that Trevor Linden was instrumental in the design process puts it in a better light as well.

You remove the script and the jersey no longer looks cut-and-paste.  The numbers don't feature green so who says the primary logo has to.  The green stripes are bold enough to keep everything balanced and grounded.

Ra21wGp.jpgZMRpWuJ.jpg

Very nice. 

If there's one team that could justify having text arched above their logo permanently, it's the Wild. I don't think the Canucks logo needs it, and I can't stand the way it forces the logo to either be down way too low on the chest of jerseys, or shrunk smaller than it should be in sports graphics to accommodate said text.

9 hours ago, Morgo said:

Hearing that the 'C' was inspired by collegiate art and that Trevor Linden was instrumental in the design process puts it in a better light as well.

Ra21wGp.jpgZMRpWuJ.jpg

Trevor Linden was only toeing the corporate Orca Bay line. Orca Bay wanted their corporate stamp on the Canucks' brand. Minority owner Arthur Griffiths and team president & GM Pat Quinn both wanted Johnny Canuck. Majority owner John McCaw and his corporate "yes man" Stan McCammon(the guy who screwed up the Gretzky signing with Vancouver) wanted their beloved orca. 

Too bad the Lightning don't look something like this already incase they go onto win the cup. I still think they need way more black in their identity. That jersey could really pop, not to mention be unique again.

spacer.png

I like the orca logo, but not on these jerseys. They worked well with the West Coast Express set it was designed for. 

If they could come up with a new Johnny Canuck logo maybe that would work. I actually don’t mind the updated stick in rink with the current unis. 

1 hour ago, B-mer said:

If they could come up with a new Johnny Canuck logo maybe that would work. I actually don’t mind the updated stick in rink with the current unis. 

What I like about the updated Stick in Rink is the white negative space that forms the C. The crooked stick with the cartoony blade ruin what should be a great update to a timeless classic. That's why I created this:

20170329_123918.thumb.jpg.3ae831c721a4e04815182723f04e35c9.jpg

On 3/2/2019 at 12:01 PM, Morgo said:

Ra21wGp.jpgZMRpWuJ.jpg

It’s just such an unnatural pairing with this uniform so long as the logo contains dark blue and silver *and* no green. It’s like they took the logo from a completely different uniform set and put it on their classic one. 🙂

Not that it looks terrible in its current form, especially from afar, but this mark could easily work with a royal blue orca, a green C, and a single white keyline to trim it (plus a few minor adjustments to the linework itself).

It needs one of two things: it either needs some green *or* it needs to ditch the non-team colors. Right now, it fails both of those tests and that’s why it doesn’t look right.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Personally I'm on Team Johnny Canuck, for the simple reason that maybe the team named after him should actually feature him somewhere. If they do make him their primary logo, it only took 'em 50 years! 😛

Archived