NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

IMO the stick in rink is the most overrated hockey logo . if someone came out with that today as their main logo we would all think it was a joke.

Probably, but it didn’t come out today. Design doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and context informs a logo or uniform’s value. 

In regards to the script on the Canucks jersey, I think it's probable they were attempting to integrate elements of the Canucks' pre NHL history. 

I've posted this jersey before, but I don't think I've seen a colour image of a surviving jersey 

103249a_med.jpeg

DNkM5tyVAAAsdDY.jpg

^yes thanks, that has been established about 12 years ago when it was first unveiled.

It has historical meaning, sure, whatever. It's been done. Congratulations. Time to get rid of it.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:38 PM, njdevs7 said:

IMO the stick in rink is the most overrated hockey logo . if someone came out with that today as their main logo we would all think it was a joke.

Sure but the inverse of that is true as well. I can point at most “untouchable” or “classic” logos that if they didn’t have Father Time on their side we’d all be calling a joke too.

8 hours ago, Corvus said:

In regards to the script on the Canucks jersey, I think it's probable they were attempting to integrate elements of the Canucks' pre NHL history. 

I've posted this jersey before, but I don't think I've seen a colour image of a surviving jersey 

103249a_med.jpeg

DNkM5tyVAAAsdDY.jpg

I remain convinced that the reason the script was added, and that it was changed to “Vancouver” instead of keeping the original “Canucks” was with the intention of selling more merch during the olympics. Along with the rest of the jersey’s design.

17 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I remain convinced that the reason the script was added, and that it was changed to “Vancouver” instead of keeping the original “Canucks” was with the intention of selling more merch during the olympics. Along with the rest of the jersey’s design.

The Aquilini ownership also didn't own the rights to Johnny Canuck. Common sense would have been that if the orca were to be kept long-term, the Orca Bay-era template would have been kept with the royal blue and green replacing dark blue and burgundy. The greenless orca, the arched VANCOUVER and the sterile Agency font have dumbed down the classic mid 70's uniform.

14 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Aquilini ownership also didn't own the rights to Johnny Canuck. Common sense would have been that if the orca were to be kept long-term, the Orca Bay-era template would have been kept with the royal blue and green replacing dark blue and burgundy. The greenless orca, the arched VANCOUVER and the sterile Agency font have dumbed down the classic mid 70's uniform.

You’re thinking of the millionaires, they always had the rights to Johnny Canuck.

On 3/3/2019 at 2:15 PM, andrewharrington said:

This mark could easily work with a royal blue orca, a green C, and a single white keyline to trim it (plus a few minor adjustments to the linework itself).

That's actually a really good idea.  Ice can be green, especially in Canada, so I see no issue there.  Unsure if the use of the white keyline means ditching the silver entirely. 

V8r8tue.png

I really don't get the hate for the Orca. "Canucks" can have anything as a logo so a Haida-style orca is a perfect logo for where they are located.

If it was their original logo it would be beloved.

4 minutes ago, Ark said:

I really don't get the hate for the Orca. "Canucks" can have anything as a logo so a Haida-style orca is a perfect logo for where they are located.

A lot of tourists and people from other countries think that a Canuck IS an orca. Vancouver is primarily known for the mountains, greenery and surrounding waters. The actual reason for the Orca was because the former ownership from Seattle, Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment, wanted their corporate identity on the Canucks' brand. The Canucks are named after Johnny Canuck.5564_vancouver__canucks_-primary-1953-1.png.0838556ac3f875a6aff9338290007d8e.png

10 minutes ago, Ark said:

But it wouldn't be. The aesthetic conventions of the time would not include the type of linework present in the current Orca design, nor would it be as aggressive or use metallic outlines. It'd look a lot more like this:

9530_seattle__totems-jersey-1967.png

I could buy the Orca as a sports-ified/modernized version of the Haida artwork presented here. I'd prefer it if they'd use a First Nations artist to design an Orca to incorporate more Haida influences, but oh well. 

To bring up @vtgco's thread again,

salish_display.png

I like that idea to bring in a more direct Haida influence.

28 minutes ago, Morgo said:

That's actually a really good idea.  Ice can be green, especially in Canada, so I see no issue there.  Unsure if the use of the white keyline means ditching the silver entirely. 

V8r8tue.png

I rather like that. I'd prefer it with some clean up on the left spikes and a bit more white within the green section, but that's a minor complaint. 

I like the orca a lot. Dropping the wordmark will make their jerseys so much better.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Ark said:

"Canucks" can have anything as a logo so a Haida-style orca is a perfect logo for where they are located.

This is where the problem is. Every sports team can in theory have anything for a logo. But the orca is bad (apart from how poorly designed it is) because it misrepresents the name. The amount of tourists who think a Canuck is a slang term for whale is surprising. This is the problem with a nickname that’s kind of vague like “Canucks”. You can have a literal representation like Johnny Canuck which represents the names etymological origins and the significance of the forestry industry to BC, or you can have a more symbolic and vague logo that doesn’t inherently tie into the name but doesn’t skew it either, like the skate, stick-in-rink, interlocking VC, or whatever else. But having something like an orca just feels entirely misplaced. Plenty of things represent Vancouver, that doesn’t mean plenty of things make sense as a Canucks logo. For comparison, you could make plenty of logos to fit “New England Patriots”, but a minuteman fits. A lobster doesn’t, even though lobsters are symbolic of New England. It misrepresents the name. The New Orleans Saints cover the other side of that, the Fleur de Lis represents New Orleans, but doesn’t misrepresent the name Saints. A Gator coiled into the shape of an ‘S’ would.

Honestly the more I think about it and the more info we get the more I’m starting to think the only change we’re going to see is an updated collar. Chicago is getting new jerseys as well and nobody suspects they’re doing anything but fix the toilet seat collars.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

I agree, much like Chief Blackhawk, it would be tweaked over time much like it as well. And yeah the Orca fits perfectly for a team named Canucks who play along the Canadien Pacific  Coast.

14 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

This is where the problem is. Every sports team can in theory have anything for a logo. But the orca is bad (apart from how poorly designed it is) because it misrepresents the name. The amount of tourists who think a Canuck is a slang term for whale is surprising. This is the problem with a nickname that’s kind of vague like “Canucks”. You can have a literal representation like Johnny Canuck which represents the names etymological origins and the significance of the forestry industry to BC, or you can have a more symbolic and vague logo that doesn’t inherently tie into the name but doesn’t skew it either, like the skate, stick-in-rink, interlocking VC, or whatever else. But having something like an orca just feels entirely misplaced. Plenty of things represent Vancouver, that doesn’t mean plenty of things make sense as a Canucks logo. For comparison, you could make plenty of logos to fit “New England Patriots”, but a minuteman fits. A lobster doesn’t, even though lobsters are symbolic of New England. It misrepresents the name. The New Orleans Saints cover the other side of that, the Fleur de Lis represents New Orleans, but doesn’t misrepresent the name Saints. A Gator coiled into the shape of an ‘S’ would.

Honestly the more I think about it and the more info we get the more I’m starting to think the only change we’re going to see is an updated collar. Chicago is getting new jerseys as well and nobody suspects they’re doing anything but fix the toilet seat collars.

I’d compare it more to the Yankees using the Statue of Liberty as a logo.

2 hours ago, Ark said:

It's a corporate logo that doesn't particularly tie in with the name, is done in the "overly aggressive" 90s styling* most animal logos of the decade were done in, and the logo is a C, not a V. Which bugs people who think logo monograms should represent the city and not the team name.

I don't like the orca. I think it's the inferior option compared to both the updated stick in rink and Johnny Canuck. You know what though? I'll begrudgingly accept the orca if they drop the VANCOUVER script and just reach "good enough" status uniform-wise.

I'm just tired of talking about the Canucks' uniforms. We've all said the same crap for over ten years, and no one's opinion changes. So fine. Keep the orca. I don't even care. Just lose the stupid arched wordmark so we can all move on.

*to echo what @SFGiants58 said...the orca could never be the Canucks' original logo, not unless history changes so that they're a 90s expansion team.

Archived