NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

5 hours ago, Bayne said:

I don't think it matters if the level of authenticity is lowered slightly in order to achieve an 'interpretation' of the style. In fact, I respect that more. You're using a native art style as inspiration for a modern mark, paying homage to it while not overtly re-appropriating it with little to no modification. I like the fact that the Orca isn't exactly what you would expect from a logo that is trying to elicit a native art style, yet there are clear indicators that it is inspired by exactly that. It is its own thing. As far as the cracked ice and the opposing graphic styles within the logo - sure, I guess that's valid. But without getting too caught up in the level of accuracy of what is and isn't proper native art, I think it works. It's got a 90's look, but it's not a gross 90's look (especially since the recolouring) and I appreciate the relatively aforementioned harmonious merging of styles that it has accomplished. 

That’s exactly what I was getting at, in a much more concise package. 🙂

I have much more respect for a great interpretation of an artistic style or movement compared to a direct lift of a sculpture or other piece of art. Looking at traditional or fine art through the lens of sports, if you will. Being authentic is nice, and it’s important, but you can’t steal to get there. You have to do it through your interpretation; your audience should be able to understand your inspiration by reading the image. I think the Canucks’ orca and the Seahawks’ logo both do well by that measure.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto at home is in their St. Pat's uniforms and the Flyers are in their alternate blacks, and the NBC Sports Philadelphia scorebug also shows Toronto in green instead of blue

On March 15, 2019 at 8:52 PM, monkeypower said:

Doesn't matter what teams are playing, all the fans will be in green. I'd say just have the Flames wear Stampeders jerseys and the Jets wear Bombers jerseys.

Wedding attire in Saskatchewan is their fanciest Roughriders jersey.

Don't forget the watermelon head...

10086918.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Would make sense for the Jets to wear the blue uniforms they wore during the 1980s (Hawerchuk days) and the Flames wearing the white throwback 1980s uniforms.  Old Smythe Division memories.

Though would love to see the Jets wear the royal blue version on the last WHA uniforms.  Not only because that uniform looked great, but a subtle nod to the WHL's Regina Pats, who wore that similar design for many years.

spacer.png

22 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

If the Jets wore the blue versions of their Heritage jerseys, and the Flames wore the white versions of their alternate jerseys (then upgraded them to primary status), I think we would all be happy.

you should make a set with ur new template showing us what that would look like with home and away.

hvmY186.png

What I'm gathering from those tweets, mainly the second and the last, is that the Flames are going to be wearing the retro whites in the Heritage Classic and then continue to wear them a few times during the season. If I had to guess, they would definitely wear them against the Oilers, a rematch against the Jets and maybe the Leafs and Habs if the schedule works out. 

Then maybe in two seasons, it's full retro home and away.

As for Blasty the Horse, I don't know where he could be returning. He does say not on a jersey, but I'm hoping he misspoke and meant not on the front of the jersey because I hope it's replacing the flags on the shoulders.

IbjBaeE.png

12 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Some tweets with interesting info from the Flames director of marketing:

This could mean a lot of things.

1) The NHL will allow for two alternates or throwbacks for all teams (most unlikely, but we'll see) 

2) Buying a red sweater now and a new white alternate next year will give you a Home and Away set

3) Calgary will change its road white jersey to a throwback, keep the red primary home, and continue to have one red throwback

4) The white throwback jersey will be the Heritage jersey

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

This could mean a lot of things.

1) The NHL will allow for two alternates or throwbacks for all teams (most unlikely, but we'll see) 

2) Buying a red sweater now and a new white alternate next year will give you a Home and Away set

3) Calgary will change its road white jersey to a throwback, keep the red primary home, and continue to have one red throwback

4) The white throwback jersey will be the Heritage jersey

I'd be okay with teams getting an alternate and throwback jersey as long as they are limited to a few games.  Just don't be like the NBA where some teams have 5 different options and new versions coming out each year or every other year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are going with the white vintage for the Heritage Classic and would certainly end up wearing them for a few more games.  I don't think they should switch to them full time without switching out the home, if the plan is to eventually go back to the throwbacks full time.  Just wait it out if that's the eventual plan.

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

What I'm gathering from those tweets, mainly the second and the last, is that the Flames are going to be wearing the retro whites in the Heritage Classic and then continue to wear them a few times during the season. If I had to guess, they would definitely wear them against the Oilers, a rematch against the Jets and maybe the Leafs and Habs if the schedule works out. 

The retro whites would also be great against the black Canucks skate uniforms.  Which will be worn for games next season.

4 hours ago, monkeypower said:

As for Blasty the Horse, I don't know where he could be returning. He does say not on a jersey, but I'm hoping he misspoke and meant not on the front of the jersey because I hope it's replacing the flags on the shoulders.

My money would be on a goalie mask. Perhaps the one of them will wear a mask with retro logos of the past on it for the Heritage Classic.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

19 minutes ago, DrAwesomeberry said:

The name "Blasty the Horse" makes me like that logo less. Sounds like a bad Sonic the Hedgehog character. 

It would still be pretty tame as far as bad sonic characters go. That’s a world you don’t want to peer into.

I was thinking one of the animal friends from Donkey Kong Country, like Rambi the Rhino and Enguarde the Swordfish. But how can that make you like the logo less? I don't have any room left to think less of it than I already do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived