Arena Football News & Updates

17 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Youtube...I've since switched over to Duluth-Iowa, mostly out of curiosity and partially out of disgust at how often the Lunkers kept shooting themselves in the foot (granted, not like the Woo's doing that much better).  And now ruthlessly having to smack down the impulse to think I could possibly make a team in this league with the reality that the worst player in the TAL is about 15-20 years younger and in much better shape than I am, so no, no I couldn't.  

I haven't gotten to watch any of the Lunkers live, but I grew up in the Springfield area. I've seen a couple highlights.

The way both of these games have looked, Arenamania's gonna be between Duluth and KC.  I don't see Iowa hanging with the Goats at all, so I'm hoping Duluth-Ozarks is at least halfway competitive next week.

EDIT: aaaaaaand now I'm tuned into the IFL playoff game between the Knight Hawks and Rattlers.  Haven't really watched much IFL ball, but it's interesting to see the differing style of play compared to both the AFL and TAL.  

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't watch either league's streams this weekend, but we have matchups for ArenaMania and the IFL championship game...

In the TAL, Duluth blew out Ozarks 50-18 to advance to ArenaMania...and in Kansas City, we have an upset as the Iowa Woo shockingly beat the Goats 59-58.  Over in the IFL, the Massachusetts Pirates will be heading to Vegas, beating the host Green Bay Blizzard 51-28, while in Arizona, the Rattlers had a similarly easy time with San Diego, shooting down the Strike Force to the tune of 58-23.

So this Saturday, the Iowa Woo will try to pull off another upset as they trek to Duluth for ArenaMania I against the Harbor Monsters, and then next Saturday sees the Arizona Rattlers and Massachusetts Pirates converge on Sin City to decide the IFL champion.

Indoor champions so far in 2024:

AFL: Billings Outlaws (def. Albany Firebirds 46-41)

NAL: Omaha Beef (def. Sioux Falls Storm 47-46)

AIF: Columbus Lions (def. Corpus Christi Tritons 46-20)

AAL2: Wheeling Miners (def. Peach State Cats 61-14)

GLAF: Michigan Avengerz (def. West Michigan Ironmen 32-12)

The GLAF, amusingly enough, reminds me of my uncle buying the houses neighboring his own to control who his neighbors are, with the West Michigan Ironmen basically doing an impression of my uncle if he was in charge of a football league.  I'd also nominate the GLAF for the Worst Collection of Names award, because you can't tell me Extreme Shamrocks, Boom, and Avengerz with a Z should be legitimate team names.  

2016cubscreamsig.png

In case you're interested, ArenaMania I is live on TAL's Youtube channel...and the Woo have just drawn first blood in Duluth as I type.

Halftime Update: it's been a good game, both teams are playing hard, as Rasheed Wallace would say.  Iowa leads Duluth 18-15 at the half.  Given like 6 people have CBSSN and I'm not among them, somebody else is welcome to be the IFL championship update guy next week, unless they stream it too.

2016cubscreamsig.png

1 hour ago, Discrim said:

In case you're interested, ArenaMania I is live on TAL's Youtube channel...and the Woo have just drawn first blood in Duluth as I type.

Halftime Update: it's been a good game, both teams are playing hard, as Rasheed Wallace would say.  Iowa leads Duluth 18-15 at the half.  Given like 6 people have CBSSN and I'm not among them, somebody else is welcome to be the IFL championship update guy next week, unless they stream it too.

I've got it, but I might head to Horlick for the Raiders game. Meet me there?

It's where I sit.

I make no promises, but very tempting.  On a semi-related note, I hope the stations that carry TAL games improve their camera work next season...granted, it's not really a shock that IFL games generally have much better camera work, but I've literally seen better camera work for a Racine Raiders game.  There's a lot of room for improvement.

Gotta say one thing, despite things getting a bit chippy, this has been a close game the whole way through, though Duluth has been just a bit better than the Woo.  So my 2 minute warning update: the Harbor Monsters just scored to make it 39-31, though they flubbed the 1 point conversion, opening the window for Iowa to possibly tie things up.  I'm very much looking forward to following the EC Jammers next year.

I figure one thing, the TAL's brand of football feels like a style Europeans would like, given they're not allowed to huddle and to a great extent, it feels somewhat positionless, as given that like outdoor sixman, the QB can't run past the line of scrimmage, so it's common to toss it to another player who can pass or run...and as I type, Iowa scored to make it 39-37, but couldn't make the 2 point conversion...and then tried the onside play, but that was incomplete, so Duluth has it at the Iowa 5 with less than a minute left.

UPDATE:  Harbor Monsters run it in and get the conversion to make it a 2 score game with 43 seconds left, Duluth 46, Iowa 37.

FINAL UPDATE: Woo score with 2 seconds left to cut it to 46-44...but they were just 4 yards short of the 25 yard line on the onside try...so TAL's first champions are the Duluth Harbor Monsters 🏆  ArenaMania, indeed.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't watch live, but the Rattlers posted the IFL championship game on their youtube channel.  I can very much see why, they took Massachusetts to the woodshed, final score Arizona 53, Mass 16.  Granted, clunker title games happen, but still a disappointing end to the indoor season.  The Pirates' main issue was they kept turning the ball over, they drove down the field several times but only managed to score twice.  

With that, let the indoor offseason shenanigans begin!  Who lives, who folds, who plays next season?

2016cubscreamsig.png

5 hours ago, Discrim said:

Didn't watch live, but the Rattlers posted the IFL championship game on their youtube channel.  I can very much see why, they took Massachusetts to the woodshed, final score Arizona 53, Mass 16.  Granted, clunker title games happen, but still a disappointing end to the indoor season.  The Pirates' main issue was they kept turning the ball over, they drove down the field several times but only managed to score twice.  

With that, let the indoor offseason shenanigans begin!  Who lives, who folds, who plays next season?

I’m glad that the Rattlers found their niche in the IFL. What is their 7th championship overall?  Impressive season for the Rattlers to boot. 

• Like 1

So, here's where we stand with all the leagues as of today...

Arena Football League - They're still at eight teams with expansion teams in Arizona and Chicago planned.

Indoor Football League - They're still at 16 teams with an expansion team in Fishers (Indianapolis area) and the return of the Dakota Bucks next season.

National Arena League - This league has been busy with adding teams as they added Wheeling, the entirety of American Indoor Football (Which were the teams in Corpus Christi, Harrisburg and Columbus [GA]) and in just the past week, the league added teams in Shreveport and Amarillo.

The Arena League - The next two teams joining are in Hot Springs and Eau Claire.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 7:27 AM, Gary said:

I’m glad that the Rattlers found their niche in the IFL. What is their 7th championship overall?  Impressive season for the Rattlers to boot. 

Shoulda clarified, I was disappointed as I was hoping for a much closer game, but as I said, these things happen.  The Rattlers played a hell of a game, and the Pirates should have executed better than they did.

The NAL's wasting no time, eh? 

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

37 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Shoulda clarified, I was disappointed as I was hoping for a much closer game, but as I said, these things happen.  The Rattlers played a hell of a game, and the Pirates should have executed better than they did.

The NAL's wasting no time, eh? 

The NAL is a weird group. One year they'll look like they're moving forward, and the next year they have teams jumping off left and right. Hopefully all three "major" arena leagues are much more stable next season. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Arena Football League - They're still at eight teams with expansion teams in Arizona and Chicago planned.

Indoor Football League - They're still at 16 teams with an expansion team in Fishers (Indianapolis area) and the return of the Dakota Bucks next season.

National Arena League - This league has been busy with adding teams as they added Wheeling, the entirety of American Indoor Football (Which were the teams in Corpus Christi, Harrisburg and Columbus [GA]) and in just the past week, the league added teams in Shreveport and Amarillo.

The Arena League - The next two teams joining are in Hot Springs and Eau Claire.

You're not wrong, but it's way too early in the silly season to say that any league has a set number of teams.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

8 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I'm surprised that Arena Football League survived, they managed to turn this league around and even hosted a Championship game in a mall! Although, I'm still skeptical of this league lasting long.

Indoor Football League when from being a small league in the early 2010s to possibly 18 teams, kudos to them! (I want an IFL team in NY so bad! 😭)

• 2 weeks later...

Didnt we do this before?

https://arenainsider.com/2024/09/all-remaining-teams-separate-from-arena-football-league-to-form-arena-football-one/

Well, yes. The 8 surviving teams (Albany, Billings, Washington, Salina, Southwest Kansas, Nashville, Orlando, and Wichita) of the laughingstock that was the Arena Football League are leaving to form a new league to form a new league called Arena Football One.

If you recall back in 2009 the original AFL shutdown and its minor league AF2 followed following the 2009 season. The surviving clubs of both leagues formed Arena Football One, which changed to the Arena Football League before the 2010 season began.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

This AFLone thing has the potential to start looking at saved photoshop files:

AFLone_second.psd

AFLone_second_revised.psd

AFLone_second_revised2.psd

AFLone_second_revised2_final.psd

• LOL 1

On 9/5/2024 at 10:03 PM, schlim said:

This AFLone thing has the potential to start looking at saved photoshop files:

AFLone_second.psd

AFLone_second_revised.psd

AFLone_second_revised2.psd

AFLone_second_revised2_final.psd

And of course the AFLone_second.revised2_final_final_FINAL.psd.