2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Might not be "scrapped" so much as "delayed". This is pretty clearly a move to recoup money from the loss of gate in most buildings; I'd be surprised if this wasn't designed as a temporary measure until they can be sure of playing seasons with fans in attendance.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/12/22/washington-capitals-will-release-design-of-their-new-third-jersey-after-january-1/

And there it is!

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd be surprised if the NHL doesn't have strict guidelines on this like most of the guidelines around uniforms they have. They take uniform aesthetics more seriously then most other major sports leagues.

We're talking about the NHL from 20 years ago. This NHL here is much different than that. The whole sport is locked into tradition.

Nevertheless, strict guidelines could save it from being aesthetically ugly. If not, by a single step.

Pro soccer teams. All of their identities are defined by two things an two things alone: their colors and the giant sponsor plastered across the front of their jersey.

Sad to see the North American "Big Four" moving in this direction.

6uXNWAo.png

Just now, Cujo said:

Pro soccer teams. All of their identities are defined by two things an two things alone: their colors and the giant sponsor plastered across the front of their jersey.

Sad to see the North American "Big Four" leaning in this direction.

Heh, I've been used to this.

But on North America, it's a different game altogether. Any sport not named soccer/rugby feels out of place the moment ads start creeping up.

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

I get the impression that people seem to think that European hockey's ad-buried nightmare happened overnight. But let's actually take a look, eh? 
tym_1973-1974.jpg
H.C. Sparta Praha, 1972-73

Bryn%C3%A4s.jpg
Brynäs IF, 1977-78 

aHn7qu0.jpg
Färjestads BK, 1985-86 

282b111b46394212b6c46d937648995d.jpg
Kiekko-Espoo (Blues), 1991-92 

tym_1994-19951.jpg
H.C. Sparta Praha again, 1994-95

hannover-hannover-scorpions-adler-mannhe
Hannover Scorpions, 2001-02

pah-200103-99-341440-dpai.jpg

Eisbären Berlin, 2019-20 

Now I do apologise for the wall of photos, and obviously this isn't comprehensive; for one thing Helsinki Jokerit had jersey ads as far back as the 70s, and have toned it down considerably since the days of these monstrosities in the early-90s; and for another the KHL (which Jokerit is part of now) of all leagues seems, based on the teams I looked up (Jokerit, Spartak Moscow, Lokomotiv) to be the least jersey-ad dependent hockey league on the entire continent? But still, something to think about as we start down this path ourselves, I feel.

It's a slow, gradual process when it comes to plastering ads on jerseys. Five years from now, it might be a small patch somewhere in the jersey.

9 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Besides, we have an idea of the way they'd likely do ads on jerseys anyways, because practice jerseys have had ad patches on them for a while now;

spacer.png

Uh, it's more than just a small patch. Believe me, it's going to be more than that.

Otherwise, this doesn't look too bad...at least when it's not up close.

3 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Uh, it's more than just a small patch. Believe me, it's going to be more than that.

Otherwise, this doesn't look too bad...at least when it's not up close.

The AHL has done this for years, and it's a small patch. Hasnt gone further than that, so I hardly imagine the NHL would do something the AHL hasnt.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

So far it's been only companies that have the naming rights for the arena, maybe it's been limited to those? Not sure why exactly, but that might be for the best. Most of those companies have logos that can be displayed in black or white.

the user formerly known as cdclt

4 minutes ago, QCS said:

So far it's been only companies that have the naming rights for the arena, maybe it's been limited to those? Not sure why exactly, but that might be for the best. Most of those companies have logos that can be displayed in black or white.

I think the wording is lost monies or something like that, because of no fans in the arena.

or perhaps do goods, but same principle. PPG Paints wont be bad for the Pens either.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

7 minutes ago, QCS said:

Exactly; this seems to be limited pretty heavily. Why wouldn't a team want an ad with Amazon or something that'd pay huge bucks if there were no restrictions in place? 

So far, every single ad has been the name sponsor of the arena; Bridgestone, CapitalOne and Prudential. I wouldn't be shocked if the rest are the same line of operation; so TD on the Bruins, maybe Wells Fargo on the Flyers, Ball for the Avs, etc.

49 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Exactly; this seems to be limited pretty heavily. Why wouldn't a team want an ad with Amazon or something that'd pay huge bucks if there were no restrictions in place? 

So far, every single ad has been the name sponsor of the arena; Bridgestone, CapitalOne and Prudential. I wouldn't be shocked if the rest are the same line of operation; so TD on the Bruins, maybe Wells Fargo on the Flyers, Ball for the Avs, etc.

I guess that's the only way Toronto makes it deep in the playoffs.... 

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived