2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

42 minutes ago, henburg said:

More than anything else I already knew about general corporate greed, this whole debacle has emphasized the fact to me that hockey has pretty much never treated the helmet as an actual part of the uniform. It's just another piece of equipment, like gloves or pads, with little to no thought going into its appearance. That's sort of a shame, because while most teams likely look best with the plain helmets and a small logo, it could have been cool to see more teams experiment with things like striping or different finishes. It seems to translate surprisingly well for some teams-

10179018.jpeg

To be fair, the NCAA teams who have experimented with helmet designs have just been homaging their iconic football programs (OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State). If that design was unveiled without that context I'm not sure how well it would go over.

The last Stadium Series tried out some unique helmet designs. It wasn't bad as a one-off, but not sure if it'd work on a permanent basis. 

spacer.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

To be fair, the NCAA teams who have experimented with helmet designs have just been homaging their iconic football programs (OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State). If that design was unveiled without that context I'm not sure how well it would go over.

The last Stadium Series tried out some unique helmet designs. It wasn't bad as a one-off, but not sure if it'd work on a permanent basis. 

spacer.png

Pretty sure it's only a matter of time until a team tries matte helmets. Easton did it a few years ago and it didn't sell that well but in the right context, it could look alright I think. Or maybe not that good but thematically consistent at least, like with the all black "stealthy" Lightning and Sharks third jerseys maybe

26 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Pretty sure it's only a matter of time until a team tries matte helmets. Easton did it a few years ago and it didn't sell that well but in the right context, it could look alright I think. Or maybe not that good but thematically consistent at least, like with the all black "stealthy" Lightning and Sharks third jerseys maybe

I always liked Jonas Hiller's plain, matte mask.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Either of Florida's, for that matter

According to an article by Elliott Friedman on Sportsnet, teams have an option for a third ad on practice helmets.  Teams have already had ads on practice jersey for years.  And, all the deals are for one year only to see how things go.

There's a bunch of other stuff they plan on doing to get back $80 to $90 million in sponsorship money they would have lost out on without these new advertising routes.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-will-aggressive-trying-new-initiatives-amid-hunt-grow-revenues/

It seems like the NHL and NBA are using the small ads as a way to get people desensitized to the idea of ads. "Look how small they are. You can hardly notice them." How long will this grace period last? And which will happen first; larger advertisements -or- multiple advertisements? The NFL will be the last league to put ads on uniforms, but all four major leagues will do this 😔

50 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

It seems like the NHL and NBA are using the small ads as a way to get people desensitized to the idea of ads. "Look how small they are. You can hardly notice them." How long will this grace period last? And which will happen first; larger advertisements -or- multiple advertisements? The NFL will be the last league to put ads on uniforms, but all four major leagues will do this 😔

NBA ads aren't small

55 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

NBA ads aren't small

In relativity to the team logo and in comparison to a lot of international leagues ad placement they're small. My main premise is that they're being used to condition people for a future with multiple ads and possibly bigger ads.

5 hours ago, M4One said:

According to an article by Elliott Friedman on Sportsnet, teams have an option for a third ad on practice helmets. Teams have already had ads on practice jersey for years.

And these are fully acceptable ads because we talkin' about practice not a game and we rarely see those uniforms so imo they can put as many ads as they want on them.

4r2eer.png

9 hours ago, M4One said:

According to an article by Elliott Friedman on Sportsnet, teams have an option for a third ad on practice helmets.  Teams have already had ads on practice jersey for years.  And, all the deals are for one year only to see how things go.

There's a bunch of other stuff they plan on doing to get back $80 to $90 million in sponsorship money they would have lost out on without these new advertising routes.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-will-aggressive-trying-new-initiatives-amid-hunt-grow-revenues/

So in a year the owners will just go “you know what we don’t need this extra money,” this one year trial to recoup lost money due to the pandemic is a farce. They will keep them as long as they make money from them, and keep adding ads little by little as fans get use to the last ones they’ll add another and do on. All with the false premise of “making the game more affordable for the fans” while selling nose bleeds for $300 per ticket

11 hours ago, B-mer said:

Not really anything new but a picture of McKinnon in most of his blue gear

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJKLuqpFBEs/?igshid=mdstmeylr1t4

I know its probably just the picture but that shade of blue looks more like royal than steel/slate blue.   It appears to match the practice sweater perfectly and those are royal..

Did they say how goalie helmets will be treated?

As much as I hate advertisements on uniforms, this is probably the most benign way to do it, since as mentioned, helmets have never really been 'designed' and part of the uniform - it's just either white or a color, and some teams have stickers on there, others have wordmarks, some flip-flop between seasons, but either way, it's an afterthought.

I'm 100% against ads on our sports uniforms (including the existing "manufacturer" ads) but even knowing full well that these aren't going anywhere, I can live with it (provided the size stays reasonable.)

Hockey helmets, unlike football or baseball helmets, aren't used interchangeably with logos, so it's not as tragic as if there was a Rocket Mortgage logo on the side of the Browns helmet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I know its probably just the picture but that shade of blue looks more like royal than steel/slate blue.   It appears to match the practice sweater perfectly and those are royal..

Yeah it doesn't look like light royal/steel blue, but I think that's because of an Instagram filter. The colors and lighting seem a bit off. I'm already not liking the decision to go with blue gear but if it doesn't even match the blue on the jersey it's gonna go from lateral move at best to an unambiguous downgrade

4 minutes ago, NYRFan said:

From the folks who brought you helmet ads, this Christmas...

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2020/12/NHL-Edge-Wraps.aspx

I don't get it. Basically they're just saying the already existing ads on the boards will now be controlled by the NHL instead of the home team?

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I don't get it. Basically they're just saying the already existing ads on the boards will now be controlled by the NHL instead of the home team?

No, I think it's an additional ads that will wrap around the bottom of the glass where it meets the top of the boards. I'm picturing something like this(?), like a long thin sticker that wraps around the top of the boards.

HxHZDlr.png

It also says the teams will control these new ads for the regular season, minus national broadcast games if the ads are competitors with any of the NHL sponsors, and the NHL willt ake it over for the playoffs.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, NYRFan said:

From the folks who brought you helmet ads, this Christmas...

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2020/12/NHL-Edge-Wraps.aspx

It's either this or no hockey

I don't like it but I can live with it

They need to make up for lost revenue

It's just for this season

You won't even notice it during the game

The NHL is a business folks

Did I miss any?

Archived