2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

1 hour ago, QCS said:

These are about as good as it could be (which still isn't good, but whatever) because the logos are already either white or in the team's colors, meaning they fit with the jerseys already. As soon as we get a Harley-Davidson/Bucks scenario or a Blue Diamond/Kings scenario where the logos are completely different colors, they'll be far too noticeable and thus bad-looking.

I'd be surprised if the NHL doesn't have strict guidelines on this like most of the guidelines around uniforms they have. They take uniform aesthetics more seriously then most other major sports leagues.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Oh come off it. If I see a shirt that I like with a Nike logo on it, I'm implicitly being advertised to buy Nike shirts. CCM/Reebok/Adidas having their logo on the jersey is just as much an ad as a small CapitalOne patch on the helmet of the Caps or, indeed, a Nike-produced shirt having a Nike logo on it.

It doesn't matter that they make it, it's still a company logo either way. Adidas isn't some nonprofit thing, it's a corporate entity that benefits from having its logo on :censored: to advertise the brand.

False equivalence. You buy a Nike shirt, not a Nike shirt with a Dunkin Donut logo slapped on it. Also, no one is forcing you to buy their shirts with the big logo on the front. They sell lots of clothes with very minimal or no branding at all. Stop trying to make this comparison, it's not working at all. I'm tired of the incessant intrusive advertisement everywhere I look, if you like it, good for you. I don't have to bow down and accept it

On 12/11/2020 at 1:04 AM, M4One said:

To me, the Kings are a black and silver team.  Their best years were in those colours and shouldn't change.  They do need to update their current home.  Maybe go back to Gretzky era jersey with different logo.  I am opposite of you in that I prefer teams in a city having their own colour.  With purple and yellow, those are Laker colours.  Blue for the Dodgers.  With the Raiders long gone, black and silver for the Kings.

As for the retro, I think the logo maybe should have been primarily yellow instead of white, otherwise it looks pretty good.

The Lakers were originally Blue / White when they moved to LA from Minneapolis, the Kings uniforms were Purple / Gold from their inception in '67, the Lakers colors changed to Purple Gold that same year. Sure the Lakers had more success than the Kings but I hate when people say well Purple and Gold are Laker colors or (since I am from Pittsburgh) Black and Gold are Steelers and Pirates colors first, ignoring the fact that the NHL Pirates Hockey Club (1925-1930) were Pittsburghs first Pro team to wear the City colors of Black and Gold, not the MLB Pirates(Blue / white / red uniforms) nor the NFL Steelers (not born until 1933)

On 12/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, Ridleylash said:

Oh no, you might see a glimpse of an ad for like 4-5 seconds before a replay, how horrible and sacrilegious /s

The fact is the NHL has to recoup the loss of gate and the financial hit from the pandemic somehow. This is just the way they want to do it; and if keeping the league's finances healthy means an ad on the helmet, I don't really see the big problem here. And really, it's not like helmet logos have ever made or broken a uniform design, either.

They have made north of a billion dollars in expansion fees in the past few years and they boast about their billions in annual revenues every year. I think they can afford to keep ads off their uniforms.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

They have made north of a billion dollars in expansion fees in the past few years and they boast about their billions in annual revenues every year. I think they can afford to keep ads off their uniforms.

by this logic, there shouldnt be ads on the dasher boards surriounding the rink or on the ice, and yet there are. cant have one without the other

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

5 minutes ago, RichardWitham said:

by this logic, there shouldnt be ads on the dasher boards surriounding the rink or on the ice, and yet there are. cant have one without the other

i think a lot of it comes down to taxes and other local fees that just happen to come up when the city/state needs money. 

so long and thanks for all the fish.

9 minutes ago, RichardWitham said:

Sure, get rid of them too, I know of lots of people who would if they had their way.

I think anybody who doesn't have an issue with corporate logos on uniforms and/or equipment is a consumer whore, but hey that's just the 2¢ of a stranger on the internet. Personally, I would never buy a basketball jersey or a soccer jersey with a corporate sponsor logo on it, even though it's " official gamewear". But hey, everybody is free to spend their money how they want.

21 minutes ago, RichardWitham said:

We have had one without the other for a very long time. They already have enough ads everywhere else. They should not be putting ads on the uniforms too. I think it is greed and I do not trust the NHL to get rid of them once things return to some type of normal again. 

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

We have had one without the other for a very long time. They already have enough ads everywhere else. They should not be putting ads on the uniforms too. I think it is greed and I do not trust the NHL to get rid of them once things return to some type of normal again. 

actually... with equipment manufacturer logos on helmets and stuff. we've had sponsor logos for years. the equipment companies pay the nhl to have their logo on stuff... they already HAD ads on the uniforms.. people are jsut losing their crap over other sponsors being put on the helmets for one season as a make good for their contracts that didnt get fufilled  cause of the pandemic. the sky is not falling, chicken little. the NHL is not gonna turn into europe 

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

The NHL in five years:

European hockey fans, how did jerseys become massive billboards? : hockey

Well, it probably won't be that quick - the NBA's already heading into their 4th year with jersey ads, for instance.

11 minutes ago, RichardWitham said:

people are just* losing their crap over other sponsors being put on the helmets for one season as a make good for their contracts that didn't* get fulfilled* cause of the pandemic

"That free couple of million we got last year from selling ad-space, we can do away with that now, no need for that going forward" -corporations, famously

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Exactly. We're definitely getting jerseys patches next year because of this kind of resigned attitude

Umm. I'm feeling like you're attacking me for something very banal I said. 

Ultimately, I stand by both things I said.

They honestly don't look horrible, and we/I don't have any say, so...

This is really getting ridiculous. So, (I know we are talking helmets here) but when I wear a jersey with an ad on it, shouldn't I be compensated for free advertising? Also, how many pictures of athletes do we see on TV or a picture and an advertisement is washed out because I'm assuming it clashes with the contract the player or league has. Seriously, I really think we are giving free ads to these giant companies. I WANT MY 💰.

17 minutes ago, RichardWitham said:

the sky is not falling, chicken little. the NHL is not gonna turn into europe 

I get the impression that people seem to think that European hockey's ad-buried nightmare happened overnight. But let's actually take a look, eh? 
tym_1973-1974.jpg
H.C. Sparta Praha, 1972-73

Bryn%C3%A4s.jpg
Brynäs IF, 1977-78 

aHn7qu0.jpg
Färjestads BK, 1985-86 

282b111b46394212b6c46d937648995d.jpg
Kiekko-Espoo (Blues), 1991-92 

tym_1994-19951.jpg
H.C. Sparta Praha again, 1994-95

hannover-hannover-scorpions-adler-mannhe
Hannover Scorpions, 2001-02

pah-200103-99-341440-dpai.jpg

Eisbären Berlin, 2019-20 

Now I do apologise for the wall of photos, and obviously this isn't comprehensive; for one thing Helsinki Jokerit had jersey ads as far back as the 70s, and have toned it down considerably since the days of these monstrosities in the early-90s; and for another the KHL (which Jokerit is part of now) of all leagues seems, based on the teams I looked up (Jokerit, Spartak Moscow, Lokomotiv) to be the least jersey-ad dependent hockey league on the entire continent? But still, something to think about as we start down this path ourselves, I feel.

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Nobody actually complains about Bauer using their own logo on their equipment, this guy is just trying really hard to be a contrarian. False equivalence

4 hours ago, RichardWitham said:

my point is we already get ads, the teams already work with these companies that are now on the helmet, which have had sponsors on them for DECADES... and just NOW people are complaining...

[Agreed that it's false equivalence between the ads themselves.]

Eh, people (here, at least) DO absolutely moan and complain about manufacturer's logo on stuff. Did you see the threads on Nike's MLB takeover? But ultimately, it's way more forgivable than what the NBA and now NHL are planning to do, because the point of adding an ad to a uniform is to draw attention, because otherwise there's no point in paying out to get it on there.

Anyway, I side with the negative Nancies. :censored: this :censored:. More bottom line bull :censored: for billionaire owners. If you aren't bothered, congrats I suppose, but IMO it's obvious that the slow creep of advertisement onto the uniforms is a long term detriment to the art we discuss here. 

Archived