NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2020 at 8:39 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I see him joining Scientology and how that becomes a big narrative in the season. Then he tries to leave the church and it turns into a truly big legal battle. That’s far more fun than anything football-related.

Oh God this is definitely going to happen. Some reporter will see a copy of Dianetics in his stall, ask what the hell that's doing there, million-dollar smile, "oh that? Hey, I'm just trying to read whatever I can for inspiration on the field, I'm all about keeping an open mind and a positive attitude and listening to everyone's side of the story," six months later, his wife is missing

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• officeglenn changed the title to NFL Offseason Thread

Oh come on mods, the title was changed to honor, not to take a shot.  He's been doing all the twitter research that nobody else has time for.  This is his shining moment!  Lighten up.

GDAWG - I for one appreciate all the twitter posts.  There's no way I'd be able to keep up with what's going on without having it consolidated here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Jordan Ta'amu, formerly of the XFL St. Louis BattleHawks, signs with the Kansas City Chiefs.

This one puzzles me a bit. He looked great in the XFL (as short as the season was). Thought he'd go somewhere where he'd have a chance to compete for a starting job (probably not a contending team) or at least for some playing time as a back-up. Instead, he goes to the team with quite possibly the least questionable quarterback situation where he's only gonna play any if Mahomes gets hurt again. Although, I guess spending a year learning under Reid and Mahomes may benefit him going forward.

39 minutes ago, McCall said:

Jordan Ta'amu, formerly of the XFL St. Louis BattleHawks, signs with the Kansas City Chiefs.

This one puzzles me a bit. He looked great in the XFL (as short as the season was). Thought he'd go somewhere where he'd have a chance to compete for a starting job (probably not a contending team) or at least for some playing time as a back-up. Instead, he goes to the team with quite possibly the least questionable quarterback situation where he's only gonna play any if Mahomes gets hurt again. Although, I guess spending a year learning under Reid and Mahomes may benefit him going forward.

He'll get the lions share of snaps in preseason though, and that could lead to a trade down the line if he does well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

40 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

He'll get the lions share of snaps in preseason though, and that could lead to a trade down the line if he does well. 

This. 

If the Chiefs are able to swing him for even a 7th Round Draft Pick, it would be well worth seeing what he can do against NFL talent. 

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Plus, if he can stick, you get paid a lot more to be a third stringer QB in the NFL than you do to be the starter in the XFL. If the NFL comes calling, you take that call.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

46 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane love bringing in former Panthers players and coaches to Buffalo. It's very unlikely to happen, but I wonder if they'd consider signing Cam Newton as a backup.

You're a Bills fan, right? Would you want to see that?

I wouldn't. Newton is presumably still close to his prime, and it would be a controversy all year long. Jameis would almost be a better option; Dalton would be the best one.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

There are certain guys you would absolutely not want to have as a backup, even if the alternative had significantly less talent.  

I almost think that "backup quarterback" is its own position, separate from 'quarterback'.  A 'quarterback' is someone that is either a starter or believes he should be a starter (maybe a rookie, maybe a guy like Cam) while "backup quarterback" is someone that's very comfortable in the role, doesn't have the same ambition, isn't going to make waves, understands he's not going to get first-string reps but still knows how to stay prepared.  

There's no problem with starting a "backup quarterback" for an extended period of time if you need to, but there could absolutely be a problem with making a quarterback a backup.  There's a certain maturity level that's needed to be a "backup quarterback".  Probably more than what's needed to be a regular quarterback.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, McCall said:

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Plot twist: Andy Reid and Eric Bienemy have been watching how Sean Payton and the Saints have been deploying their [supposed-to-have-been] third-string QB Taysom Hill, and are envisioning something similar for Ta'amu. Could happen...(& I feel like that trend really might pick up across the league--provided it gets back to playing.)

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I wouldn't. Newton is presumably still close to his prime, and it would be a controversy all year long. Jameis would almost be a better option; Dalton would be the best one.

Hmm...I mean, both Allen and Winston are big ol' boys with a dang-near similar skillset, so I could see that happening--but would you really want The Bakery to open up for business in Buffalo??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

7 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I would be happy if they signed him to a one-year deal. The Titans brought in Ryan Tannehill on a one-year deal last year and look how well that turned out for them. The same with the Saints and Teddy Bridgewater. There's no guarantee that Allen won't take a huge step backwards (ala Trubisky or Mariota) in his development or get hurt for an extended period of time, especially with the way he runs. And I don't know about you, but I have very little faith in Matt Barkley as a solution. McDermott would know better than most whether it would be a good fit. Assuming that Cam is mature enough to handle a backup role, I'd be willing to roll the dice on him for a year. The Bills could actually be a contender in the AFC for the first time in 25 years and I don't want to see that opportunity wasted if Allen gets hurt. I just pray that Belichick doesn't get to him first.

And I would take Cam over Jameis "30 picks" Winston in a heartbeat. If you think Winston (with all his recent controversies and off-field legal troubles) would be less of a distraction than Cam, I'm not sure if I agree with that. Dalton would be a great option.

I know GMs want to push the draft back (probably so they can do more in-depth scouting and ask weird questions about sexual activity and how to count gumballs or whatever), but I think holding the draft a month from now will give all of us -- the NFL, ESPN, etc. -- something exciting to look forward to.

It kind of feels like going back in time like 20 years when there were far fewer sports entertainment options. The NFL draft being the One and Only Thing that weekend will feel like a spring Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I know GMs want to push the draft back (probably so they can do more in-depth scouting and ask weird questions about sexual activity and how to count gumballs or whatever), but I think holding the draft a month from now will give all of us -- the NFL, ESPN, etc. -- something exciting to look forward to.

It kind of feels like going back in time like 20 years when there were far fewer sports entertainment options. The NFL draft being the One and Only Thing that weekend will feel like a spring Super Bowl.

What about doing one round per night?  Make the 1st round the "spring Super Bowl", and have it in prime time on Sunday.  Then all the other rounds each day for the rest of the week.

Archived