NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

22 minutes ago, eRay said:

Hornets posted a teaser on Instagram showing just white pinstripe lines on a teal sky background. I’m guessing that means they are getting completely new home and road uniforms, kind of an updated take on the throwback pinstripe designs.

interesting indeed. 😉

now on twitter as well...

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

interesting indeed. 😉

Conrad you tease!

Should be interesting. Their current set is clean, but I thinking bringing back pinstripes in some sort of way to the days where they had more swagger is smart.

2 hours ago, Conrad. said:

interesting indeed. 😉

Oh my god, this would be a dream come true. Give me the old purple, give me the pinstripes, give me the Hornets

the user formerly known as cdclt

New primary jerseys confirmed!!!!

https://www.nba.com/hornets/video/teams/hornets/2020/08/25/3390491/1598385289327-jerseyteaserfinal1920x1080-3390491

No confirmed specifics, though pinstripes are very likely. Hopefully the clouds are a reference to the airport and "CLT" instead of CHA like some speculate. Another thing I noticed is that the purple at the end of the video appears to be brand new:

spacer.png

I like it, it's much closer to the original and is honestly a better color than "Dark Purple", which is what the Hornets have been using. The background color is I assume what happens when teal and a blue sky mix, so I'm not worried about the teal changing. The only thing that could make this better is a return to Hugo, but it seems unlikely, unfortunately.

Interested to see how close to a straight throwback these will be. In the year of the Tampa Bay Bucs doing that, and Atlanta bringing back my least-favorite font style of the 90s, wouldn't be completely surprised? Personally hoping for something that has clear references to the old days but doesn't fully eschew the current trends either.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Interested to see how close to a straight throwback these will be. In the year of the Tampa Bay Bucs doing that, and Atlanta bringing back my least-favorite font style of the 90s, wouldn't be completely surprised? Personally hoping for something that has clear references to the old days but doesn't fully eschew the current trends either.

Judging by the teaser image they posted, I'm thinking the pinstripes will be white only, forgoing the classic quad-colored ones for something more consistent. What's also of interest is the collar and shorts, and if they'll be using the old colors in any way. I imagine for merch reasons it won't be one-to-one and will probably be more like the Jazz update than the Bucs one, returning to the classic template with new colors. The one sad part of it is that Hugo won't be returning, instead we're stuck with the soulless remake version. 

8 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Keep in mind, the Rams players liked their new look too.

But so did the Chargers and Bucs as well, and those turned out great.

Besides, teams are never going to post videos of thier players saying things like “ehhh”, “trash!”, or “what the hell is this?!”.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'm scared but excited. Pinstripes would be awesome but any change beyond that would most likely be a downgrade. I actually love the Hornets' current uniforms, which seems like an unpopular opinion. I guess most of the hate comes from them just not being the old unis. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think the new ones are better. But the old ones have so much attached to them that they should be the primaries. That being said, aside from reverting a la Bucs, there's nothing (pinstripes aside) to improve upon their currents. Hopefully they keep their number font and don't put the name below the number.

PS - They've been using that cloud background for at least a few months with their #AllFly. I'm pretty sure it's a reference to that and not the airport. I feel like they would've been more direct than that. But the CHA has always been outrageously stupid, even on the scorebug. CLT would be infinitely better, but even better yet would not be including an abbreviation on the jerseys. Just say Charlotte or Hornets. No Buzz City either.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

17 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

I'm scared but excited. Pinstripes would be awesome but any change beyond that would most likely be a downgrade. I actually love the Hornets' current uniforms, which seems like an unpopular opinion. I guess most of the hate comes from them just not being the old unis. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think the new ones are better. But the old ones have so much attached to them that they should be the primaries. That being said, aside from reverting a la Bucs, there's nothing (pinstripes aside) to improve upon their currents. Hopefully they keep their number font and don't put the name below the number.

PS - They've been using that cloud background for at least a few months with their #AllFly. I'm pretty sure it's a reference to that and not the airport. I feel like they would've been more direct than that. But the CHA has always been outrageously stupid, even on the scorebug. CLT would be infinitely better, but even better yet would not be including an abbreviation on the jerseys. Just say Charlotte or Hornets. No Buzz City either.

I'm not a fan of the current jerseys, not because they're not the old ones, but because they feel soulless, in fact, the whole brand does. It feels like everything from the logos to the jerseys to the slogans were focus-grouped to hell and back, and yet with no one that was actually a fan of the team or lived in Charlotte. Here's what the current brand does wrong, in my opinion:

Color Scheme: The original teal returns, while the purple is darkened to "Dark Purple" and the extra colors are replaced with gray and light blue. The darker purple is duller and not as vibrant as the originals, which is a theme throughout the set.

Logos: The new logo, while well-made, isn't anything special. RARE Design is a very talented studio, but you can tell it was them behind it. The primary is built in the exact same way the New Orleans Pelicans' logo is: wings on the side, spread out, mean animal facing forward, custom typeface stating team name. Additionally, they've got so many logos that are useless: the honeycomb C/crown/H, the primary without the wordmark and only an "H", and especially the "Buzz City" logo. The only logos they really need are the primary and side-facing hornet, maybe the single-color hornet for some small applications. Compare that to the original Hornets logo, which was unique and bold. They only had one logo because they only needed one logo. Hugo was perfect as the primary and shorts logo, nothing else was needed.

Font: It's fine, I guess. It's got the whole hornet theming down, which is neat, I guess. The little notches are neat, I guess. It's very angular and sharp (which matches the logo, which is neat, I guess) compared to the original Hornets logo and font (Rockwell Condensed, brilliant font, I love it) which is round and fun. But like I said, the modern is fine, I guess. It serves its purpose well enough, I guess.

Jerseys: Oh, where to start. Let's start with the original Adidas primaries: white and purple(!), both reading "Hornets", and the iconic four-stripe pinstripes reduced to side paneling on one side. Even as a modernization of the original brand (which this was supposed to be), it failed. The decision to make purple the primary road was baffling (thankfully fixed when Nike took over) and there's no way the pinstripes just disappear like that. Why doesn't the primary road jersey say "Charlotte"? Every single original Hornets jersey read Charlotte, no reason to stop now. Instead, it's relegated to the teal alternate, which is just... depressing. Even now, as of 2019-20, there's only one Hornets jersey that actually reads "Charlotte" and it's the throwback. Next, there's the sleeved jersey, which has three major problems: it's black, it says "Buzz City", and the side panels are dumb. Not a single soul in Charlotte, North Carolina calls it "Buzz City" outside of the Hornets org. Its nickname is the Queen City, which is a great and dignified nickname. Buzz City sounds like the entire city is a little drunk every day, which Hornets fans probably are after paying attention to this team. Of course, those thankfully went away after Nike took over, but the plague remained. New set switches the teal and purple jerseys (good) puts Charlotte on the alts again (bad) and keeps black + Buzz City (worse). Finally, this year, changes were made. What did they do to improve the set? Well, let's start with the good: "Buzz City" and black are no more! The new city jersey is "Cloudy Gray"(cause if there's one thing NC is known for, it's the cloudy skies) and reads... CHA. What is CHA? Where is CHA? If you wanted to abbreviate the city (there's no need to, it's a fine length) you could've used, you know, the accepted three-letter abbreviation for the city, CLT. Oh, but we can't use that, what if immature losers snicker to themselves? Tough luck, the city government has gotten over it, you should too. What's even worse, it somehow made its way onto the alt, which replaced "Charlotte" with "CHA" and got rid of the four-stripe side panels, further disconnecting this team from what it should be. 

Slogans: I've already talked about how bad Buzz City is, now let's talk about the team's marketing. Their slogan for this year is "All Fly" which isn't inherently bad, but is a little corporate, don't you think? Why not something more appropriate, like "Nest of Rebellion" or something like that, referencing the team's namesake? 

MJ: God, I hate Michael Jeffrey Jordan. He's ruined this team. I won't talk about his FO abilities or lack thereof, but instead how his hubris caused the downfall of the NBA's greatest brand. In Spectrum Center, there's a timeline of Charlotte basketball. It's pretty neat, it's got some cool moments like the buzzer beater over Boston to win the first playoff series, some Charlotte Sting stuff, it's neat. In 2015, it reads as thus: "MJ brings back the buzz". Not "Bobcats renamed to Hornets" or "Hornets return to Charlotte", but specifically MJ is the one who gets to take credit, as if anyone with half a brain wouldn't have done the same thing. It's his refusal to change that has lead the Hornets down this dark path, and it's one we may never climb out of. 

In conclusion, the brand is wholly uninspired, takes risks in all the wrong places, and completely misunderstands its target audience, which is the absolute worst thing you can do as a graphic designer. Nothing about it captures the spirit of the original Hornets, who were fun and different, while the modern Hornets are bland and retreads. Nothing about it particularly looks bad, I suppose, and in a vacuum wouldn't be awful, just middle of the road, but when you compare this set to the classics that were the originals, it's not even close.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I actually think the jerseys will be closer to the second jerseys the '90s Hornets wore, from '96-'02. Those featured side panels and more striping, but more importantly, had the double pinstripes that the teaser uses. I suspect they want to keep them distinct enough from the originals to keep selling those as throwback stuff, and side panels and double pinstripes will do that. Given how the pinstripes aren't colored in the teaser, my guess is that the teal jersey will feature four sets of white double pinstripes and purple side paneling, while the white will have the pinstripes in purple and paneling in teal. Hopefully the alternate is purple, with white pinstripes and teal paneling, but that one I'm less sure of. The City jersey could be anything, probably some stupid cloud thing or whatever. The single best thing they could do though is put Charlotte on at least the teal ones, it should be a requirement that at least one of your two primary jerseys have the city/state name on them. 

4 hours ago, QCS said:

I'm not a fan of the current jerseys, not because they're not the old ones, but because they feel soulless, in fact, the whole brand does. It feels like everything from the logos to the jerseys to the slogans were focus-grouped to hell and back, and yet with no one that was actually a fan of the team or lived in Charlotte. Here's what the current brand does wrong, in my opinion:

Color Scheme: The original teal returns, while the purple is darkened to "Dark Purple" and the extra colors are replaced with gray and light blue. The darker purple is duller and not as vibrant as the originals, which is a theme throughout the set. 

Logos: The new logo, while well-made, isn't anything special. RARE Design is a very talented studio, but you can tell it was them behind it. The primary is built in the exact same way the New Orleans Pelicans' logo is: wings on the side, spread out, mean animal facing forward, custom typeface stating team name. Additionally, they've got so many logos that are useless: the honeycomb C/crown/H, the primary without the wordmark and only an "H", and especially the "Buzz City" logo. The only logos they really need are the primary and side-facing hornet, maybe the single-color hornet for some small applications. Compare that to the original Hornets logo, which was unique and bold. They only had one logo because they only needed one logo. Hugo was perfect as the primary and shorts logo, nothing else was needed.

Font: It's fine, I guess. It's got the whole hornet theming down, which is neat, I guess. The little notches are neat, I guess. It's very angular and sharp (which matches the logo, which is neat, I guess) compared to the original Hornets logo and font (Rockwell Condensed, brilliant font, I love it) which is round and fun. But like I said, the modern is fine, I guess. It serves its purpose well enough, I guess.

Jerseys: Oh, where to start. Let's start with the original Adidas primaries: white and purple(!), both reading "Hornets", and the iconic four-stripe pinstripes reduced to side paneling on one side. Even as a modernization of the original brand (which this was supposed to be), it failed. The decision to make purple the primary road was baffling (thankfully fixed when Nike took over) and there's no way the pinstripes just disappear like that. Why doesn't the primary road jersey say "Charlotte"? Every single original Hornets jersey read Charlotte, no reason to stop now. Instead, it's relegated to the teal alternate, which is just... depressing. Even now, as of 2019-20, there's only one Hornets jersey that actually reads "Charlotte" and it's the throwback. Next, there's the sleeved jersey, which has three major problems: it's black, it says "Buzz City", and the side panels are dumb. Not a single soul in Charlotte, North Carolina calls it "Buzz City" outside of the Hornets org. Its nickname is the Queen City, which is a great and dignified nickname. Buzz City sounds like the entire city is a little drunk every day, which Hornets fans probably are after paying attention to this team. Of course, those thankfully went away after Nike took over, but the plague remained. New set switches the teal and purple jerseys (good) puts Charlotte on the alts again (bad) and keeps black + Buzz City (worse). Finally, this year, changes were made. What did they do to improve the set? Well, let's start with the good: "Buzz City" and black are no more! The new city jersey is "Cloudy Gray"(cause if there's one thing NC is known for, it's the cloudy skies) and reads... CHA. What is CHA? Where is CHA? If you wanted to abbreviate the city (there's no need to, it's a fine length) you could've used, you know, the accepted three-letter abbreviation for the city, CLT. Oh, but we can't use that, what if immature losers snicker to themselves? Tough luck, the city government has gotten over it, you should too. What's even worse, it somehow made its way onto the alt, which replaced "Charlotte" with "CHA" and got rid of the four-stripe side panels, further disconnecting this team from what it should be. 

Slogans: I've already talked about how bad Buzz City is, now let's talk about the team's marketing. Their slogan for this year is "All Fly" which isn't inherently bad, but is a little corporate, don't you think? Why not something more appropriate, like "Nest of Rebellion" or something like that, referencing the team's namesake? 

MJ: God, I hate Michael Jeffrey Jordan. He's ruined this team. I won't talk about his FO abilities or lack thereof, but instead how his hubris caused the downfall of the NBA's greatest brand. In Spectrum Center, there's a timeline of Charlotte basketball. It's pretty neat, it's got some cool moments like the buzzer beater over Boston to win the first playoff series, some Charlotte Sting stuff, it's neat. In 2015, it reads as thus: "MJ brings back the buzz". Not "Bobcats renamed to Hornets" or "Hornets return to Charlotte", but specifically MJ is the one who gets to take credit, as if anyone with half a brain wouldn't have done the same thing. It's his refusal to change that has lead the Hornets down this dark path, and it's one we may never climb out of.

In conclusion, the brand is wholly uninspired, takes risks in all the wrong places, and completely misunderstands its target audience, which is the absolute worst thing you can do as a graphic designer. Nothing about it captures the spirit of the original Hornets, who were fun and different, while the modern Hornets are bland and retreads. Nothing about it particularly looks bad, I suppose, and in a vacuum wouldn't be awful, just middle of the road, but when you compare this set to the classics that were the originals, it's not even close.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I actually think the jerseys will be closer to the second jerseys the '90s Hornets wore, from '96-'02. Those featured side panels and more striping, but more importantly, had the double pinstripes that the teaser uses. I suspect they want to keep them distinct enough from the originals to keep selling those as throwback stuff, and side panels and double pinstripes will do that. Given how the pinstripes aren't colored in the teaser, my guess is that the teal jersey will feature four sets of white double pinstripes and purple side paneling, while the white will have the pinstripes in purple and paneling in teal. Hopefully the alternate is purple, with white pinstripes and teal paneling,

but that one I'm less sure of. The City jersey could be anything, probably some stupid cloud thing or whatever. The single best thing they could do though is put Charlotte on at least the teal ones, it should be a requirement that at least one of your two primary jerseys have the city/state name on them. 

I guess I just wonder how much of the "soul" of the old stuff comes from what happened while wearing it. The Hornets were a fun team then. The way they were embraced was unique. I think a lot of that rubbed off on the jerseys and logo. I don't think the team now looks soulless because of the uniforms or logo. They look soulless because they ARE soulless. On the court and off. The games with the throwback jerseys and courts don't give them any more soul, in my opinion. I agree with a lot of what you say, though. Too many logos. The old logo is probably a bit better than the new, if it were to be modernized a bit. I've definitely seen good ones out there. The All Fly thing is dumb, but to be fair, have you ever seen a slogan pushed like that that isn't? The old color scheme was definitely better. I don't have a huge preference on Charlotte vs. Hornets on the jerseys, but that may be because I've never lived there. If they were "Carolina", I'd probably want that on there. Either way, nothing besides Charlotte or Hornets should ever, ever be on the jerseys. No CLT, no CHA, no Buzz City, no Queen City. I agree with you on the Buzz City thing too. It's dumb. I always thought they could use "Bugs" as a nickname, sort of like they used "Cats" back in the day. I remember when they first revealed the new uniforms, they said the reason for the teal being the alternate was because of the league rules at the time limiting how many times the away uniform could be worn at home. They wanted to wear teal at home on occasion so they made it their alternate to allow that to happen as often as they wanted. When Nike took over, that rule was obviously thrown out, so they no longer needed to do that. I feel like I've gotten way off my main point, which is this: the Hornets of today don't look fun and different because they are not fun and different. No uniform or logo will make them more fun or more different. In fact, it would only make the old identity less fun and less different by association.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

9 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I guess I just wonder how much of the "soul" of the old stuff comes from what happened while wearing it. The Hornets were a fun team then. The way they were embraced was unique. I think a lot of that rubbed off on the jerseys and logo. I don't think the team now looks soulless because of the uniforms or logo. They look soulless because they ARE soulless. On the court and off. The games with the throwback jerseys and courts don't give them any more soul, in my opinion. I agree with a lot of what you say, though. Too many logos. The old logo is probably a bit better than the new, if it were to be modernized a bit. I've definitely seen good ones out there. The All Fly thing is dumb, but to be fair, have you ever seen a slogan pushed like that that isn't? The old color scheme was definitely better. I don't have a huge preference on Charlotte vs. Hornets on the jerseys, but that may be because I've never lived there. If they were "Carolina", I'd probably want that on there. Either way, nothing besides Charlotte or Hornets should ever, ever be on the jerseys. No CLT, no CHA, no Buzz City, no Queen City. I agree with you on the Buzz City thing too. It's dumb. I always thought they could use "Bugs" as a nickname, sort of like they used "Cats" back in the day. I remember when they first revealed the new uniforms, they said the reason for the teal being the alternate was because of the league rules at the time limiting how many times the away uniform could be worn at home. They wanted to wear teal at home on occasion so they made it their alternate to allow that to happen as often as they wanted. When Nike took over, that rule was obviously thrown out, so they no longer needed to do that. I feel like I've gotten way off my main point, which is this: the Hornets of today don't look fun and different because they are not fun and different. No uniform or logo will make them more fun or more different. In fact, it would only make the old identity less fun and less different by association.

I agree with you, the team needs to embrace what made them unique. The team's been bland and boring since they returned, which certainly isn't helped by their play. The problem I have with the logo is that the NOLA Hornets made an incredible update to Hugo, they cleaned it up and made it presentable for modern times. As for Charlotte vs. Hornets, it's always been to me a problem with how the team presents itself. They've always been the "Hornets" first and "Charlotte" second, when the brand is the "Charlotte Hornets". It does matter, because what matters is that the Hornets name was in Charlotte. I totally agree on putting anything else on the jerseys, I just wish Charlotte was there in some capacity. I'd rather they use Bees if they had to use a nickname, but Hornets works fine for me. I never knew about the alternate home rule, that makes sense. Doesn't make sense as to why Charlotte isn't on the primary road, but whatever. 

1 hour ago, mania said:

Wait.. people WANT "CLT" on their jerseys?

Like you would wear something that says CLT?

...the :censored:?

No, but if they were to use a three-letter abbreviation, it should be the accepted one for the city of Charlotte, which is CLT. Get your mind out of the gutter.

4 minutes ago, QCS said:

No, but if they were to use a three-letter abbreviation, it should be the accepted one for the city of Charlotte, which is CLT. Get your mind out of the gutter.

You're going to come back at me with that energy? I'm not trying to get banned.

It's an awful, awful "abbreviation" that doesn't mean :censored: all to anybody who isn't directly from that area. On top of that, it's not an abbreviation for a city, it's a goddamn AIRPORT CODE.

WHAT ABOUT HORNETS OR CHARLOTTE? NOT BUZZ CITY, NOT STUPID :censored:ING CLT.

Jesus :censored:ing Christ.

I think Charlotte has a solid identity as of now. It's a good modernization of a classic name. I  agree with the feeling around the use of "Buzz City", it's more of a corporate call than something the town identifies with, and I don't get why they don't use "Queen City" instead. I think both abbreviations (CHA and CLT) are awful to do a uniform around so won't discuss that. Pinstripes are great so they'll be welcome back with open arms.

2 hours ago, mania said:

Wait.. people WANT "CLT" on their jerseys?

Like you would wear something that says CLT?

...the :censored:?

The Culotte, obviously.

Archived