NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

1 hour ago, mania said:

You're going to come back at me with that energy? I'm not trying to get banned.

It's an awful, awful "abbreviation" that doesn't mean :censored: all to anybody who isn't directly from that area. On top of that, it's not an abbreviation for a city, it's a goddamn AIRPORT CODE.

WHAT ABOUT HORNETS OR CHARLOTTE? NOT BUZZ CITY, NOT STUPID :censored:ING CLT.

Jesus :censored:ing Christ.

Hey man, I'm with you on not wanting to use it. However, if they were forced to use an abbreviation, it should be the one that's accepted in the city. CLT, despite being an airport code, is still that accepted abbreviation. It's like PDX for Portland, it's the de facto abbreviation if you were to use one. I honestly don't think it should matter if it doesn't mean anything to anyone not from the area, because the team isn't trying to appeal to anyone outside the area. It's transcended its initial use as an airport code and has become the accepted abbreviation for Charlotte. The city government uses it, Charlotte FC uses it, it's popular around town. 

If it were up to me, every jersey would say Charlotte and none of them would say CLT, but it's my opinion that if they're going to use a three-letter abbreviation like they have been, it should be the accepted one of CLT and not CHA, which only the NBA uses. You want to know if I'd wear something with CLT on it? Yeah, I would, and so would a ton of other people. Check this out: https://704shop.com/collections/unisex. It's a shop based in Charlotte that makes Charlotte-related gear, and plenty of them say "CLT", and plenty of those are sold out. 

I'll admit I was a little aggressive in my response, I apologize for that. I hope that I can at least explain why "CLT" is better than "CHA", even if you don't personally agree. Like I said, I'm all with you on preferring that they never use it at all. But if you put a gun to my head and told me to pick three letters to go on a Hornets jersey? It'll be CLT every time.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought the pinstripes were the worst part of the original Hornets uniforms. I hated how they only applied to the jersey and not the shorts. I'm sure it was some late '80s fashion trend, but it always felt like a mistake. Like they accidentally wore shorts from a different uniform. 

I wish there was some kind of written rule in the NBA where you couldn’t abbreviate your city/state name on the front of jerseys unless it was for functional text-fitting reasons (see: PHILA, maybe OKC*). All the rest, no matter how cool or relevant they are locally, need to be done with. There’s no good reason, in my opinion, to abbreviate names that can functionally fit comfortably on the front of a basketball uniform.

*I say maybe on OKC because they feasibly could fit “Oklahoma City” on the front if “Oklahoma” were above the number and “City” were below it, but where they appear to have an aversion to that option, “OKC” is unfortunately the next best functional one.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I wish there was some kind of written rule in the NBA where you couldn’t abbreviate your city/state name on the front of jerseys unless it was for functional text-fitting reasons (see: PHILA, maybe OKC*). All the rest, no matter how cool or relevant they are locally, need to be done with. There’s no good reason, in my opinion, to abbreviate names that can functionally fit comfortably on the front of a basketball uniform.

*I say maybe on OKC because they feasibly could fit “Oklahoma City” on the front if “Oklahoma” were above the number and “City” were below it, but where they appear to have an aversion to that option, “OKC” is unfortunately the next best functional one.

Phila at least is an accepted post office code, unlike the others.

Which might make me make my personal opinion clearer in my head. If you wouldn't put it on a letter for the post office for the city, it doesn't belong on a jersey.

For states, well, those shouldn't exist but no acceptable abbreviation exists for them. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

21 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

In general, I enjoy this series of revisionist history uniforms from Mitchell & Ness. It's like a concepts board come to life. But just like a concepts board, there are some ideas that should just never see the light of day.

spacer.png

29 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Curious how that would look for the colorblind. I'm guessing enough distinction between the black and pink, but probably not anything else.

I'm days old to the discussion, but the new Tune Squad jersey is fine. The old one was fine too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

16 hours ago, QCS said:

Buzz City sounds like the entire city is a little drunk every day, which Hornets fans probably are after paying attention to this team.

😄

Charlotte's baseball team doesn't have a problem with having CLT on their hat. 🤷‍♂️

Yea I ain't with these forced nicknames/trying to be cool thing.  Just go with what's been accepted by the city or none at all.  Keep the edginess with the font and logo and leave it at that. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

3 hours ago, _J_ said:

Phila at least is an accepted post office code, unlike the others.

Which might make me make my personal opinion clearer in my head. If you wouldn't put it on a letter for the post office for the city, it doesn't belong on a jersey.

For states, well, those shouldn't exist but no acceptable abbreviation exists for them. 

I feel like we rehash this at least 1-2 a year. But, this is pretty much my stance. PHILA., PHX, LA, NYC, NOLA, DC and ATL would all be acceptable abbreviations for their national and local relevance. CHA, ORL, MIA, HOU, CLE, POR, DEN, DAL and DET might work on the same level nationally or locally, but let's honest ... they look dumb.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I check this Reload series by M&N and if Celtics wants to keep black uniforms, this might be something for them:

ff_4004295-d7b39b8945cb23d75ba7alt1_full.jpg&w=900

Also I found this, but I'm not sure why is marked as a Reload, for me is a normal Spurs jersey from that times: EDIT: They replaced photo to a good one.

4r2eer.png

As I'm sure many expected, the Hornets unveil has been delayed.

A little disappointed obviously, but I don't blame them at all and I would've been even more disappointed if they hadn't delayed.

the user formerly known as cdclt

23 hours ago, kimball said:

ORL might work on the same level nationally or locally, but let's honest ... they look dumb.

I don't know about the other cities you listed, but no one uses ORL in any capacity. Not in speech, not in writing, nothing. It's not even our airport code. When the Magic and Nike use language like this in the reveal:

From orange groves to Orange County, Orlando has always been the ultimate destination. Citrus and sunshine at its foundation. Bold, different and daring in its heart. Like the new City Edition uniform, it’s filled with energy, vision and strength. This is the ORL, the capital of Central Florida. An absolutely electric place to visit, live, work and play. Truly unbeatable. Truly Orlando.

It's obvious that the designers (and whoever wrote the Nikespeak for the reveal) are very out of touch with the local culture.

ExJworW.png

On 8/26/2020 at 11:12 AM, wisbadger1 said:

I wonder if this was ever on the drawing board in the 1990's for the Bucks before they went with the green alternates.

https://www.lids.com/nba-milwaukee-bucks/ray-allen-milwaukee-bucks-mitchell-and-ness-1996-97-hardwood-classics-reload-swingman-jersey-purple/o-1381+t-47472927+p-9366995030+z-8-3283941187

spacer.png

All I know of is this green one that was an actual prototype that they obviously decided not to use.

spacer.png

Archived