NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

Those draft hats are great, ibut it really highlights how basketball centric so many of the logos in the league are. The Knicks, Suns, Jazz, Pistons and Magic practically only have a basketball there and you guess the team by the ball’s orientation. Suns should have had the phoenix on the side with the single color sun ball in front, Jazz should have had the J note in front with the whole Jazz script on the side, the Knicks should have brought back the subway token to put in front, the Pistons should use either the DP or the skull and bones. The Thunder one is bad too but that approach would always be brutal on that awful logo, the Spurs one isn’t great either

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These aren't bad, certainly much better than last year's. One idea I'd like to see expanded on was the NFL's draft hats from 2019, which were based on the flag of the state/city the team was from. Some worked well (Cincinnati, Arizona) some didn't (Carolina, Seattle) but I think the NBA trying an idea like that would be really neat, especially with how local some of the teams are. They did something like this in 2018 where they used the city/state flag as a patch on the side, but I want the flag at the forefront.

the user formerly known as cdclt

18 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That draft hat script is dumb and messy.  The TWolves is really smashed into the front panel.   I love the teal on grey mix though.

I agree on this. The script is nice on teams with shorter names, but the letters are harder to discern on those with longer ones. The Trail Blazers and Mavericks caps have similar issues. 

I don't understand why, in applications like this, the Timberwolves don't shorten the name to Wolves. They have no problem doing it with their jerseys. 

If the Nets don't go more in the graffiti direction (unlikely) then I'd love for them to go all in with the subway look, at least the font.  They're already using it on their social media posts and on the sideline of the court.  Having that font on the jersey would be clean and different from the rest of the league.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

On 8/20/2020 at 2:13 PM, tscuzzy said:

Typefaces on a uniform are typically pretty consistent right? I will never understand what happened to the Rockets...

2003-2010: Number typeface matches 'Rockets'

ept_sports_nba_experts-789851934-1249930

after 2010: Adidas introduces Revolution 30 uniforms, for some reason the Rockets switch their number typeface to same one the Indiana Pacers were using:

pg-13-gallery.jpg

spacer.png

Fast forward to 2019... Nike... new uniforms... and the Rockets STILL don't change this font. The Pacers don't even use it anymore... WTF

hi-res-a01db8b9b9865efdb25541bc0e5f1fc8_

This just comes across as so lazy, no attention to detail. For the love of god, please change the number to something blockier that matches 'ROCKETS' better. The '3' is such an eyesore.

Idk why they switched, but my guess is adidas couldn't make it work with their materials. I know they couldn't execute the Grizzlie's inline font. 

I feel like the current wordmark and numbers match pretty well tho. Both rounded block based. 

57 minutes ago, truepg said:

What I don't get, is why some of the teams use the alternate logo on the front and others duplicate the main logo in both places? For example, the Grizzlies could use the ball-in-claw logo on the front.

The NBA's logo system is odd, every team has a "domestic" primary and a "global" logo. The global logo is for use overseas and must feature the team's full name, and is what the mothership considers the "primary". The domestic logo is whatever the team wants to represent them in the domestic market as their primary logo. For some teams, the global and domestic logos are the same (Charlotte, Boston, the Lakers, Sacramento, etc.) while most aren't. So what you're seeing on the side of the cap is the domestic primary logo, while I assume teams could choose what to put on the front. I assume not every logo could be chain-stitched properly, which is why there's no text on the front logos. I imagine it was just up to the team to pick which one they wanted and the Grizzlies choose to use their bear head logo.

the user formerly known as cdclt

6 hours ago, QCS said:

The NBA's logo system is odd, every team has a "domestic" primary and a "global" logo. The global logo is for use overseas and must feature the team's full name, and is what the mothership considers the "primary". The domestic logo is whatever the team wants to represent them in the domestic market as their primary logo. For some teams, the global and domestic logos are the same (Charlotte, Boston, the Lakers, Sacramento, etc.) while most aren't. So what you're seeing on the side of the cap is the domestic primary logo, while I assume teams could choose what to put on the front. I assume not every logo could be chain-stitched properly, which is why there's no text on the front logos. I imagine it was just up to the team to pick which one they wanted and the Grizzlies choose to use their bear head logo.

Yeah, I figured that. Was just wondering, why they opted to put that same logo on the front on some caps, when some others use the alternate logo there, which is a better design decision not to display the same logo twice.

On 8/13/2020 at 11:00 AM, Conrad. said:

🙊

How about this? Those two aren't the only "complete changes" of a team's main 3 uniforms.

Also, a reiteration of the official news we know about 2020/21:
- Mavs wearing Green throwback unis
- Grizz wearing first black uni from them coming to Memphis 

The teams that are changing their uniforms: are they keeping the same colors with new design or are there new colors?

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

They should really keep the NOB below the number from now on.  Just makes a lot more sense to have it there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They should really keep the NOB below the number from now on.  Just makes a lot more sense to have it there.

Ehhhhhhhh ... I don't know? Template wise, it totally does. But, traditionally, it's really only a Kings, WNBA and, recently, OKC and Memphis thing. I wouldn't mind more teams using it. But, keep tradition where tradition should be honored.

And, in that same breath straighten the surnames on the Pistons' jerseys like they should be!

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

In my opinion, NOB’s below the number just look awkward. There’s an afterthought sort of look to it, as if someone said “well, I guess it could go here” and just slapped it on, in contrast to arched-over-number looking more deliberate. 

I’d argue it doesn’t functionally help longer names as much as it would seem, either; Gilgeous-Alexander, for example, still takes up a long row of space that extends around the whole back when below the number, so long names are going to be a bit space-encroaching and functionally awkward no matter where it is or how it’s laid out:

spacer.png

So - again, just my opinion - you may as well go traditional and arch it over the number. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Hornets posted a teaser on Instagram showing just white pinstripe lines on a teal sky background. I’m guessing that means they are getting completely new home and road uniforms, kind of an updated take on the throwback pinstripe designs.

Archived