Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

What makes darkening a jersey “not very good” design?

I've nothing against darkening a jersey. It's when you pair up a dark colour with another dark colour. Without any bright colour like gold or white, you're left with a plain, mushy jersey to look at. Washington has burgundy which is a darker shade of red. It doesn't need to add black to their colour scheme.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Part of me wishes Washington’s temporary branding was a bit more old-school. I feel like something similar to the old Senators “W” would’ve been a fine temporary logo, with a wordmark to match of course. I think you could pull off that feel with Futura, perhaps. 

Old Senators “W” I’m referring to:

Something like that on the helmet instead of numbers looks really good in my head.

Or just do a recolor of the Washington Huskies uniform. 

I saw, I came, I left.

9 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I've nothing against darkening a jersey. It's when you pair up a dark colour with another dark colour. Without any bright colour like gold or white, you're left with a plain, mushy jersey to look at. Washington has burgundy which is a darker shade of red. It doesn't need to add black to their colour scheme.

This is an excellent point.  

As much as I hate the addition of black into a color scheme like the Reds or NY Jets, at least those color schemes look good. Two bright colors, and black as the only dark color.  That’s a solid balance.  Adding black to a color scheme that already has a dark color just makes the whole thing muddy. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

This is an excellent point.  

As much as I hate the addition of black into a color scheme like the Reds or NY Jets, at least those color schemes look good. Two bright colors, and black as the only dark color.  That’s a solid balance.  Adding black to a color scheme that already has a dark color just makes the whole thing muddy. 

See the Philadelphia Eagles.

21 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Part of me wishes Washington’s temporary branding was a bit more old-school. I feel like something similar to the old Senators “W” would’ve been a fine temporary logo, with a wordmark to match of course. I think you could pull off that feel with Futura, perhaps. 

Something like that on the helmet instead of numbers looks really good in my head.

I’m more of an Albertus guy. You can modify it pretty easily to get a fantastic insignia.

GkZPspp.jpg

Albertus works very well as a “DC” font, even for teams that play in Maryland!

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m more of an Albertus guy. You can modify it pretty easily to get a fantastic insignia.

GkZPspp.jpg

Albertus works very well as a “DC” font, even for teams that play in Maryland!

Oh I love that! I hadn’t thought of Albertus, but that is a fantastic option indeed. I imagine a “WASHINGTON” wordmark would look great in that with your noted modifications as well.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Really wish they'd go with one of the countless interlocking DC logos that have been floated around here over the years.  Not sure the argument of where they actually play really applies since they're already use Washington, unless you want to argue that's a regional name, in which case... I guess.. but not really.

DC Red Tails, or DC Red Wolves, or whatever would work better than "Washington" for many reasons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Are we seriously still considering "Red Wolves" as a good name option?

Who's "we"?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not sure why the Elk's thread wasn't left open, despite them claiming to have a name much sooner than the WTFs, but this one's still going.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Not sure why the Elk's thread wasn't left open, despite them claiming to have a name much sooner than the WTFs, but this one's still going.

Guess this one's about to be shut down, too, then. Surely the mods wouldn't be so inconsistent.

• TBGKon locked this topic
  • 2 months later...

Washington Football Team Won’t Have New Nickname Until 2022

February 23, 2021 - 15:24 PM

The Washington Football Team’s placeholder name will remain intact for a second season, as the franchise’s official website dedicated to the rebrand recently released a statement that says a new identity won’t be ready until 2022.  “We’ve transitioned from our old name. Now it’s time to write a new legacy,”

Read More...

• 1 month later...

Washington Football Team Seeks Input For Rebrand

March 26, 2021 - 17:39 PM

From now through April 5, the Washington Football Team is accepting submissions for its ongoing rebrand, including suggestions for a new nickname, logo and uniforms. According to a press release, the franchise has received more than 15,000 entries thus far from every state and territory in the United States, as

Read More...

Archived