2020-2021 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

On 6/23/2021 at 7:42 AM, BBTV said:

Another thing about basketball:

It's dumb that all players get 6 fouls.  Fouls should be 'accrued', so that if you're a starter that plays like 36 minutes, you get 6 fouls.  But if your some dude at the end of the bench that plays 6 minutes, you get 1 foul.  If you get more than your accrued fouls, you should have to sit until you accrue some more, then you can come back in (so if a starter gets hurt and some bench guy comes in at half time, as long as he doesn't foul a lot up front, he'll be fine.)

It's silly that some loser at the end of the bench can enter the game with 5 minutes left and have a full allotment of fouls to use.  There's too many fouls, and 'fixing' the number that can possibly be used per game might cut that down.

How would you implement this, say, at the 1992 or 2008 Olympics for the Dream and Redeem teams?  The loser at the end of the bench is likely still a HoFer.  Plus, too many "team fouls" that lead to "bonus" for the team that got fouled too much (excluding charging fouls, I believe)  will allow free throws on non-shooting fouls, and hack-a-Shaq rules have been implemented and unsure if they extend to the entire game now since I haven't kept up with all the rules.

Also, many of those "losers" might have been a Mr. Basketball at one time in their home state.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/brian-scalabrine-dominates-high-schooler-who-challenged-him-1-1

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sayahh said:

Also, many of those "losers" might have been a Mr. Basketball at one time in their home state.

Ben Simmons was one of the best players in NCAA and his home country, but he's still a loser.  Nobody's pre-NBA accomplishments are really relevant.   I wasn't thinking about the 'bonus' thing - I guess that helps regulate it - but I'd rather there just be fewer fouls altogether, so maybe giving players fewer ones (by accrual), could make it so there doesn't need to be a 'bonus' and there wouldn't be 'hack a player'.

I prefer when sports have fewer rules.  Games should be decided based on the most baskets you make by playing basketball.  I understand the need for the bonus rule, but getting points because someone fouled someone that had nothing to do with anything isn't really the spirit of the game.   

Of course with fewer fouls, the refs would have to improve at calling things that are actual fouls and not blowing a whistle when the defending player didn't even touch the guy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Bonus is a penalty for fouling too much. It's there to produce exactly what you want -- fewer fouls and more run of play.  Otherwise guys would be fouled on every play.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Bonus is a penalty for fouling too much. It's there to produce exactly what you want -- fewer fouls and more run of play.  Otherwise guys would be fouled on every play.

I'd rather there just be fewer fouls.  And if they are shooting fouls, just award the basket.  That should get guys to back off a little and not foul someone just to hope they miss free throws.  Leave free throws for technical fouls or other weird things.  Maybe for breakaway fouls.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

53 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'd rather there just be fewer fouls.  And if they are shooting fouls, just award the basket.  That should get guys to back off a little and not foul someone just to hope they miss free throws.  Leave free throws for technical fouls or other weird things.  Maybe for breakaway fouls.

That idea could break bad really quickly. While it might incentivize defenders to avoid fouls, it would likely prompt the offensive player to engineer fouls even more than they already do. I mean, some of these superstars have gotten really good at just swinging their arms around with the ball to incite contact fouls. The rules are very much in the ballhandler's favor, and automatically awarding points on a shooting foul would make it even worse. 

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That idea could break bad really quickly. While it might incentivize defenders to avoid fouls, it would likely prompt the offensive player to engineer fouls even more than they already do. I mean, some of these superstars have gotten really good at just swinging their arms around with the ball to incite contact fouls. The rules are very much in the ballhandler's favor, and automatically awarding points on a shooting foul would make it even worse. 

100%. If this were to happen, James Harden and other players of his type would be averaging 40+ points a night, and I don’t feel like I’m kidding either. It’d be way too easy for them.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

There's just way too much intentional fouling in general. How many times do we see the defensive team get a rebound, start dribbling the other way with a modicum of speed, and immediately get fouled at half court? The rules as they are give teams an excuse not to play defense, because it's smarter to foul and force the other team to inbound or shoot free throws than it is to allow a layup.  We're constantly robbed of exciting plays because exploiting the rules is a good strategy.

I get that people are concerned about the ends of games taking forever, and game 2 of the WCF was a particularly egregious example.

However, it's really only a issue at the ends of halfs.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This is one hell of a rock fight in LA.  JVG talking about Charlie Ward cursed this game into a 98 Knicks reenactment.

34 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This is one hell of a rock fight in LA.  JVG talking about Charlie Ward cursed this game into a 98 Knicks reenactment.

I know he gets paid to talk, but sometimes I wonder what the hell goes on in these commentators’ heads.

Suns gotta be on one of the luckiest Finals runs I’ve ever seen. 3 straight teams ALL missing their superstars. 

If Kawhi is healthy, the Clippers win this in 5. If Murray didn’t tear his ACL, that series goes at least 7. If LeBron and AD were healthy, the Suns get bounced in 5. 

I hope they get rocked by the Bucks in the Finals. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Suns gotta be on one of the luckiest Finals runs I’ve ever seen. 3 straight teams ALL missing their superstars. 

If Kawhi is healthy, the Clippers win this in 5. If Murray didn’t tear his ACL, that series goes at least 7. If LeBron and AD were healthy, the Suns get bounced in 5. 

Suns? Lucky? That's honestly an oxymoron for a franchise that has been anything but lucky more often than not.

Have we not forgotten all the bad luck from the 7 seconds or less era?

2 hours ago, Unocal said:

I think DG_ThenNowForever hates Ben Simmons more than Baker Mayfield hated Hue Jackson

Are you a bot or something?

That's BBTV's lane.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Are you a bot or something?

That's BBTV's lane.

It also took him about a week to come up with that one apparently

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

You gotta be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. 😜 

Even if the Suns have played against three straight teams with injury problems, why should that be held so strongly against them?  They’re the 2nd seed; it’s not like they’re an 8-seed on a miracle run here. They can’t control who’s injured and who isn’t, and they still have a job to do regardless of who’s on the floor. They’re doing that job well, and I think they’re a legitimately very good team. Certainly better than the Jazz, who burst into a flaming dumpster fire when Kahwi went down rather than take advantage of his absence. The Suns have done just the opposite.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

10 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Yet here they are. How dare they take advantage of the teams less fortunate 

Suns might've won the title in 2006 with a healthy Amar'e and might've won in 2007 without having two BS suspensions in the middle of their series against the Spurs. Going back further, that franchise was one missed shot from going to Game 7 at home against the dynasty Bulls in '93.

If they win the title this year with an assist to fortunately-timed injuries, well, they've earned the chance at getting a few breaks along the way.

spacer.png

I'm sure Suns fans would be depressed knowing their championship was all luck. Just look at Raptors fans, those folks don't even like to acknowledge their title. Rockets fans spend their days woefully recalling that they didn't have to go through prime Jordan for their championships.

Archived