NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

"The 2s played like #2 today"

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/15/2021 at 4:08 PM, NicDB said:

I wanted the Redsk*ns name gone as much as anyone, but I'm not so militant about completely erasing the fact that they were ever called as such.  Redtails would allow them to keep their circle and feather, only replace the Indian head with probably a W or R.

they really can’t keep any Native iconography at all, even if they’re now going to claim that it has a different meaning.

And nobody’s claiming that we erase the past.  We just can’t keep condoning that past as if it was somehow okay.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

they really can’t keep any Native iconography at all, even if they’re now going to claim that it has a different meaning.

And nobody’s claiming that we erase the past.  We just can’t keep condoning that past as if it was somehow okay.

Which is why I think any potential name with “Red” in it should be removed from consideration 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Which is why I think any potential name with “Red” in it should be removed from consideration 

Native imagery? No. “Red”? Why not? The color red by itself has nothing to do with Native Americans unless referring to their skin tone. Since this is clearly not the case anymore, and they are trying to remove that connection, why can’t they be named after the color they wear(and have worn for 90% of their history)?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Native imagery? No. “Red”? Why not? The color red by itself has nothing to do with Native Americans unless referring to their skin tone. Since this is clearly not the case anymore, and they are trying to remove that connection, why can’t they be named after the color they wear(and have worn for 90% of their history)?

It’s a handicap that allows continuously deliberate slip ups with the old name amongst at least fans

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

It’s a handicap that allows continuously deliberate slip ups with the old name amongst at least fans

If their name was the Washington Demon Cats of Blue, they’d still be called “Reds**ns” by some fans. It’s not going away anytime soon, so keeping Red in the name seem more like an acknowledgment of history that a generic cop-out.

• Yawn 1

2 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

If their name was the Washington Demon Cats of Blue, they’d still be called “Reds**ns” by some fans. It’s not going away anytime soon, so keeping Red in the name seem more like an acknowledgment of history that a generic cop-out.

It’s an acknowledgment of something they shouldn’t acknowledge any further. The history is the franchise. Not the name.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

It’s an acknowledgment of something they shouldn’t acknowledge any further. The history is the franchise. Not the name.

The name is part of the franchise’s history.  They were the Reds***s for 80+ years. They won Super Bowls, not as the Washington [insert name], but as the Washington Red****s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The name is part of the franchise’s history.  They were the Reds***s for 80+ years. They won Super Bowls, not as the Washington [insert name], but as the Washington Red****s.

The team itself has definitely started to acknowledge their past Super Bowl wins and anything pre-2020 as just “in Washington franchise history”

• Like 4

I was scrolling through the Jags roster back in December and saw their CB Quenton Meeks was listed as #5. I'm sure he was just on the sidelines and not seeing in-game action but is this an example of a modern player who was allowed an out of position number? Foreshadowing months ago that the Chiefs new rule will pass?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIyTIj1HTdP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJuBOdAn9VS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJWIeHGn3gV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I'm not saying they should. But a Redtail is hawk that's named after its feathers. Therefore the Lombardi R is still appropriate as it doesn't reference anything explicitly native.

11 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I'm not saying they should. But a Redtail is hawk that's named after its feathers. Therefore the Lombardi R is still appropriate as it doesn't reference anything explicitly native.

Except it kinda does. It’s still derived from the older Native American head logos that Washington used.

• Like 2