2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

1 hour ago, DrAwesomeberry said:

Eh, I always thought the skyline reference was a pretty direct one, but to each their own.

The Stars already had the perfect skyline reference jersey...

Ua5iG3g.jpg

17205032.jpegspacer.png

The connection is certainly there, it just doesn't happen to be a very good looking uniform.

• Like 4

On 12/10/2021 at 4:29 PM, IceCap said:

I think that was the intent behind their black "gradient" sweaters, but they really missed the mark. G-d those are awful. 

Yeah i think you're right, but they took the dial way to far. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrAwesomeberry said:

Eh, I always thought the skyline reference was a pretty direct one, but to each their own.

That's part of the problem. Sports design these days is all about jerking off over how many "references" you can fit in. 

Yeah, sure, a building in the Dallas skyline has green lights and the jersey is black and neon green. 

It still looks bad though. Design has lost the plot. It used to be "what looks good?"

Now that comes secondary to "what's the reference?" 

Not everything has to mean something and not everything that means something is good by virtue of meaning something. 

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, IceCap said:

That's part of the problem. Sports design these days is all about jerking off over how many "references" you can fit in. 

Yeah, sure, a building in the Dallas skyline has green lights and the jersey is black and neon green. 

It still looks bad though. Design has lost the plot. It used to be "what looks good?"

Now that comes secondary to "what's the reference?" 

Not everything has to mean something and not everything that means something is good by virtue of meaning something. 

Post of the Year, IMO.

Breaks down most NBA one-year jerseys, the SmAsHViLLe sweaters, etc. perfectly. It'd be different if these looks were independently attractive. These designs don't exist in a vacuum, but whoever is making the design decisions can't assume that everyone who sees a jersey "gets" every reference.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, YELDARBfield said:

Post of the Year, IMO.

Breaks down most NBA one-year jerseys, the SmAsHViLLe sweaters, etc. perfectly. It'd be different if these looks were independently attractive. These designs don't exist in a vacuum, but whoever is making the design decisions can't assume that everyone who sees a jersey "gets" every reference.

Seconded.

When more time and attention is put into shoehorning-in references than something as fundamental as an original striping-configuration, you have a serious problem in the design process...

2cJUsxM.jpg

• Like 1

The point I was trying to make is that the skyline reference is much more direct and specific than "this jersey has 21 stripes to represent every country in New Jersey", not that local references like that automatically justify a design.

I just like they way the blackout uniforms look independently of that. It's clearly jumping on a trend, but I think it's better executed than other "stealthy" alternates (Sharks/Oilers/etc) because of the color chosen. I get why it's not for everybody though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YELDARBfield said:

Post of the Year, IMO.

Thank you 😊

The point I was trying to make is that the skyline reference is much more direct and specific than "this jersey has 21 stripes to represent every country in New Jersey", not that local references like that automatically justify a design.

I just like they way the blackout uniforms look independently of that. It's clearly jumping on a trend, but I think it's better executed than other "stealthy" alternates (Sharks/Oilers/etc) because of the color chosen. I get why it's not for everybody though.

I don't like it though. That's just my opinion, but that's what this board is for, right? Like... @Morgan33 already pointed out that the Stars had a great jersey that called to mind they idea of green on black- the skyline concept. 

The ones they have now are, to me, bad because...well...I just don't like how they look 🤷🏻‍♂️

I get that there's a reference but that doesn't make it worthwhile design in and of itself. On its own merits it's gaudy and lame and reminds me of something a teenager would come up with, in a bad way. 

I guess my micro point is I think they look bad and my macro point is I think they look bad because of an annoying trend where teams or designers (or both) fall so in love with local references that good, solid design comes secondary. 

• Like 3

On 12/10/2021 at 4:07 PM, habsfan1 said:

You basically needed 2 sets of back numbers: one for the wavy bottom on the left and one for the right beside it where the wave stripe is a bit higher. More work for the sewing team who applied numbers on the backs of jerseys, they have to be careful not to get confused.

That's the case with these as well, and people don't seem to have a big problem with them coming back as a throwback:

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 12/12/2021 at 12:11 AM, habsfan1 said:

If the Oilers make their navy blue alts their new primary uniforms, does that mean this becomes the new primary logo?

FPQUxme.jpg

I think those plans got kyboshed before this season. Seems like the plan is to keep orange as the primary until royal blue is brought back.

And if it did get promoted, the primary logo wouldn't change. The Flames & Leafs both use recoloured versions of their primary logos on their home jerseys.

15 hours ago, IceCap said:

I guess my micro point is I think they look bad and my macro point is I think they look bad because of an annoying trend where teams or designers (or both) fall so in love with local references that good, solid design comes secondary. 

Thats why every Avalanche concept or redesign always has to have the mountains in it.   It's annoying because theres only so much you can do with mountains and a hockey jersey.   Wish the Avs could have a none mountain/local themed jersey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

That's the case with these as well, and people don't seem to have a big problem with them coming back as a throwback:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not the first to say this, but those Blues jerseys  would look good in the current two-tone blue:

uNeEpK8.jpg

• Like 19

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I’ll go on the record as having a problem with it! I mean, the numbers themselves being different, I guess is primarily a logistics issue for the equipment staff so not really my problem. But the diagonal schtick is stupid here and it’s stupid in its wavy Isles version too.

I like the Blues using a guitar string look as a striping pattern, something both hockey-ish and nontraditional. But not if it’s placed on a diagonal; that’s a step or two too cute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Oilers using navy was a mistake

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think those plans got kyboshed before this season. Seems like the plan is to keep orange as the primary until royal blue is brought back.

And if it did get promoted, the primary logo wouldn't change. The Flames & Leafs both use recoloured versions of their primary logos on their home jerseys.

That's why I don't understand why the Oilers retired royal blue so soon, if royal blue is so popular. As unpopular as navy is for the Oilers, it always lasts so much longer.

But the Flames & Leafs invert the crest to white on the homes only. With both jerseys having the neon version, it would look weird to not go all the way. Like their identity crisis will remain unresolved.

3 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Wish the Avs could have a none mountain/local themed jersey.

My favourite Avs sweater was the 2001-2007 alternate. It's just a straightforward hockey sweater design. Not gimmicky and it looks good. 

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's dumb for the Isles and dumb for the Blues. The wavy-ness makes the Isles' attempt worse aesthetically but both fail in my opinion. 

49 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

That's why I don't understand why the Oilers retired royal blue so soon, if royal blue is so popular. As unpopular as navy is for the Oilers, it always lasts so much longer.

But the Flames & Leafs invert the crest to white on the homes only. With both jerseys having the neon version, it would look weird to not go all the way. Like their identity crisis will remain unresolved.

Since when do both jerseys use the stealth version? The road jersey still uses the regular white circle logo.

I personally think the navy works better on the orange jersey than royal did, but they still should have just kept the throwbacks around.

32 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Since when do both jerseys use the stealth version? The road jersey still uses the regular white circle logo.

They don't. It's only what might happen if the navy neon got a matching road white.

If they use the navy neon at home and the current road on the road, the logos will remain as they are.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:50 PM, hormone said:

Just watched the penguins who debuted the new alternate. It’s just a black version of the white reverse retro. I’m underwhelmed. It’s not as nice as the regular blacks, it’s redundant to have two blacks, and whoever made the decision to drop the golden triangle on the skating penguin on this, the reverse retro, and the gold alternate deserves to have their food from the microwave piping hot on the edges and stone old in the middle.

Counterpoint: The 90s alternates are better than the 80s throwbacks that should have never been promoted to full time and the yellow alternate made my eyes bleed

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2