2021-2022 International Club Soccer Kits

MJWalker45

2 hours ago, flyersfan said:

I consider myself a massive fan  of custom fonts. However, there's a point where they get to be a bit ridiculous, and this new Madrid font ruins a classy and wonderful shirt otherwise.

Real seem to be the worst offenders on this; every year it’s a new and different (and almost always terrible) custom font.

• Like 3

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

7 minutes ago, Digby said:

Real seem to be the worst offenders on this; every year it’s a new and different (and almost always terrible) custom font.

The 20-21 font was a beaut. I thought many times about trying to recreate at least the numbers in Illustrator.

kitcompletorealmadrid2021.jpg

• Like 1

They actually haven't been all too bad recently, at least not in the numbers department. Sure a little funky but easily readable:

Real Madrid Font 201819 Free Download

Real Madrid Font 2017/2018 (OTF Format)

They have had their share of stinkers though too:

Real Madrid Font 201516 Free Download

Download Real Madrid Font - brownbee

Some favorite fonts of mine:

Football Fonts

Juventus 2019 font | Sport Fonts

Free Football Fonts: Liverpool FC 2018/2020 Cup Font

Usa world cup, World cup 2014, World cup

I like the tasteful flair. Gimmicky is fine if the numbers are consistent, readable (a balance between thick and thin), and don't look sloppy. Some fonts I just can't get behind with an odd 1 or a 7. There's no perfect science to it, but there are definite misses, Madrid's of 2021-22 is a miss (and last year's was a massive hit)

• Like 1

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

I agree with all those takes except 16/17 Madrid. I think that’s a clean, simple, yet not boring font. 

I think that was actually an outstanding year for their branding as a whole, with the purple accents. I even liked the wonky black kit with the half logo on either shoulder. The year after with the teal was sharp too, though I liked their change kits much better than the home kit with the weird, thin hoops on the shoulders. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Soccer and typography is one of my back pocket rants. I hate the leaguewide font thing, and worse is that so many teams (esp national teams!) change their nonleague typefaces every year, and rarely a good one at that. Maybe I’m too American in my thinking but your numbers ought to be part of the history and brand, too.

• Like 5

I’m with you on the constant changes to the non-league numbers, but I love a league-wide numbers font.  In a world where teams move between leagues, being able to use the Premier League font becomes itself a badge of honor.  

I love it... so long as we’re talking about a good font like the current one and not something like the cartoony early 2000s. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

I'm kind of a fan of that league-wide font mentality if there's like a reward for being able to wear it, like Gothamite said, a badge of honor. Conversely to the awesome Premier league font, the EFL one is awful.

Football Fonts

• Like 2

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

1 hour ago, flyersfan said:

I'm kind of a fan of that league-wide font mentality if there's like a reward for being able to wear it, like Gothamite said, a badge of honor. Conversely to the awesome Premier league font, the EFL one is awful.

Football Fonts

Now I looked at it for a while, it's tolerable but I wouldn't use it for another season.

• Like 1

I like the idea of rewards to wear, but I think fonts are so deeply intertwined with the rest of the kit that there can be a stylistic clash. At least the current EPL one is both nicely designed and somewhat timeless, but there previous whimsical serif-y fonts looked weird on modern kits. Similarly, the current EFL font looks nightmarish on more traditional styles.

And then there’s MLS, which doesn’t have the pro/rel benefit, and to me is another strike against club individuality.

Always liked the shoulder patches as the reward for ascending leagues and thought that would suffice, but that’s of course ad space now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Now I looked at it for a while, it's tolerable but I wouldn't use it for another season.

Its moreso the size of the spacing that interrupts the numbers. And this means no outlines either, which makes it hard to read on kits with any back pattern.

Brentford FC on Twitter: "A perfect ending to 2020 ... roll on 2021  #BrentfordFC #BREBOU… "

• Like 3

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

5 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Football Fonts

If they don't have the lines running though, it's a good number set. But if the numbers were solid, or only had a thin line though them like the previous MLS font, they'd be so much better. It's also a single color application, rather than having an outline on the numbers which makes it look bad when on striped uniforms.

Grant Leadbitter on what Sunderland need to do to get promoted - Chronicle  Live

Above expectations' a look at Lincoln City's impressive start to the season  - Chronicle Live

Free Football Fonts: Major League Soccer (MLS) 2015/2020 Font

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I just wanted to take a moment to reminisce about Real Madrid’s so-bad-it’s-almost-good “stencil” font circa 2003:spacer.png

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

8 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

I just wanted to take a moment to reminisce about Real Madrid’s so-bad-it’s-almost-good “stencil” font circa 2003:spacer.png

This would fit well with a team like Arsenal, or any team tied to the military.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That Championship font is indeed terrible.

Especially since it ruins a pretty good run of fonts.  They had two good ones in a row:

efl-18-19-ttf-font.jpg

efl-numbers-kit+%25282%2529.jpg

This is a major case of not knowing what you got until it's gone. I hated the bubbles in this font, but what it replaces is so much worse.

• Like 2

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

bilbao away kit seems super crisp, the 2 color scheme keeps stuff simple and clean; I'd be interested how they look on the pitch though

haven't seen the leaked spurs away/third kit brought up here unless I must've skimmed past them. feels like they're far too busy especially for the third kit, almost feels like an overcompensation for how simple their home kit is!

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/02/leaked-tottenham-21-22-third-kit-to-be.html 

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2020/11/leaked-nike-tottenham-21-22-away-kit.html 

• 2 weeks later...