College Baseball MLB Inspired Uniform Elements

Do people tend to think of these as lazy or do you like them?

I love them. As someone who knows every uniform since I started buying cards i the early 1980s, I enjoy seeing these modern takes. I see them more as tributes than rip-offs.

• Like 6

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 4/1/2021 at 3:34 PM, Discrim said:

West Virginia used to have a similarly Yankees-like cap logo, though IIRC they did away with it somewhere around ten years ago.

Yea I'm not sure they copied the yankees, I'm pretty sure its a throwback logo (which may of originally been modeled off the yankees) but yea they're phasing it out.

c2b4cb35ce1abf1efef20e3b8bb4d938.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 5:35 PM, OnWis97 said:

Do people tend to think of these as lazy or do you like them?

I love them. As someone who knows every uniform since I started buying cards i the early 1980s, I enjoy seeing these modern takes. I see them more as tributes than rip-offs.

The entertainingly random ones, I like (why is a school in Mississippi using the Twins' font? Why are the Padres' wordmarks so inexplicably popular?).

The endless take-offs on the Rainbow Guts and the 80s White Sox beach-blanket jerseys, I'm getting tired of, though.

A couple more...

the Gophers' lifting the Twins' old road wordmark:

campus-siebert-field-gopher-baseball-vs-michigan-state-in-big-ten-picture-id1154354873?s=2048x2048

North Dakota State:

ColbyTognetti2010BallBehindEarStrideLamar.jpg

Northern Illinois:

Anderson_William.jpg?width=300

• Like 3

In the late 90s, the UWM Panthers were wearing the 1994 Brewers "MILWAUKEE" script.

It's always perplexed me that, given how popular the 80s Brewers are locally, that the Panthers haven't thought to swipe the road script from that era and build their brand around that.  I bet they'd sell an ass load of merch.

EDIT: Turns out we were also one of the schools who ripped off the Padres in the mid-2000s.  This is the best pic I could find.

baseball2004.png

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

EDIT: Turns out we were also one of the schools who ripped off the Pirates in the mid-2000s.  This is the best pic I could find.

There was also these grayscale rainbow guts in 2015:

2015_20_.jpg

Rainbow guts seems to be the most copied, I think:

CbhdtZuXIAET60b.jpg

lville_astros.jpeg

16116222_G.jpg?lastEditedDate=1518927938

Looks like adidas and Under Armour had their own flavors you could recolor too, since UWM and Louisville are identical, and Northwestern and Hawai'i are identical.

• Like 2

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

4 hours ago, NicDB said:

EDIT: Turns out we were also one of the schools who ripped off the Pirates Padres in the mid-2000s.  This is the best pic I could find

Admittedly, I'm surprised UWM hasn't done anything resembling the Pirates, given the color scheme.  Maybe they have and I'm merely unaware of it, though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

8 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

There was also these grayscale rainbow guts in 2015:

Rainbow guts seems to be the most copied, I think:

CbhdtZuXIAET60b.jpg

Looks like adidas and Under Armour had their own flavors you could recolor too, since UWM and Louisville are identical, and Northwestern and Hawai'i are identical.

I do find it generally lazy, given that college uniforms in other sports tend to establish their own aesthetic. Football especially, where there are so many classic looks, new trends, and the Iowa Hawkeyes are an interesting exception.

All that said, this Wildcats jersey is sweet. Purple and white is gorgeous, and a purple rainbow is better than the over-use of black to me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Discrim said:

Admittedly, I'm surprised UWM hasn't done anything resembling the Pirates, given the color scheme.  Maybe they have and I'm merely unaware of it, though.

I feel like it'd be weird if they did that now, given that the Pirates are in the Brewers division.

Granted, it'd probably still look better than anything they've trotted out in the past decade or so.  If ever there was proof that no one in the UWM athletic department gives a :censored:, just look at some of their baseball uniforms.  Baseball uniforms are the hardest uniforms to mess up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Um, wrong thread, man.

A number that have yet to be featured here...Pirates-inspired Iowa

b9ca2568b09637e8b5bb6e8737861d72.jpg

More Rainbow Guts...Pepperdine edition...then...

53b4a57baedc28b364c075dbca0ca927

...and now

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvzlWgNa_tTKy1S3w4v6x

Kansas....taking inspiration from both the Expos and Blue Jays (the former more obviously than the latter)

5c9ff357778ff.image.jpg?resize=400,312

Though the script style's not exactly a copy, and the jersey has sleeve cuffs, very much Dodger style

Ulane_Jonah_Congrats_03042020.jpg

similar, more Dodger-like older jersey

110410aaa_935_4327203-727x1024.jpeg

the ubiquitous 83 White Sox copy

551b2aa1e9143.image.jpg?resize=1200,879

Georgia, circa 1990: Red Sox tribute

5ee06ebd2e1cb.image.jpg

ITYVXSOPVDD5ZC2IRZT3YUQLOY.jpg

Butler: navy-on-navy like the old Braves alternate

Jack_Myers_1.jpg

Florida, inspired by the black-era Mets

AP21055058882355.jpg

Tommy-Mace-Florida-baseball.jpeg?h=f6400

• Like 5

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

So many of those would look so nice if not for the gross logo creep.

Also that K-USA hat is disgusting.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/29/2021 at 12:09 AM, Discrim said:

Florida, inspired by the black-era Mets

AP21055058882355.jpg

Tommy-Mace-Florida-baseball.jpeg?h=f6400

I guess every team that shares colors is inspired by the other team. There really is no similarity other than the colors. The piping is ridiculously thick, the word marks don’t match at all. The gators have some sort of patch on the right sleeve that isn’t existent on the Mets. The bills aren’t blue. The pants have pin stripes that to my knowledge were never worn by the Mets in black.

47 minutes ago, dont care said:

I guess every team that shares colors is inspired by the other team. There really is no similarity other than the colors. The piping is ridiculously thick, the word marks don’t match at all. The gators have some sort of patch on the right sleeve that isn’t existent on the Mets. The bills aren’t blue. The pants have pin stripes that to my knowledge were never worn by the Mets in black.

The extra wide piping definitely stuck out, but there's clearly inspiration from the Mets given the format (blue wordmark w/ white stroke & orange shadow on black). Plus the Mets have worn a black-billed cap. Haven't seen them pair it with pinstripes but it is part of their identity. Oh look, they've even thrown a right sleeve patch in there at some point!

new-york-mets-black-uniform-mike-piazza.

i?img=%252Fphoto%252F2015%252F1020%252Fr

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 5:58 PM, dannykraft said:

Yea I'm not sure they copied the yankees, I'm pretty sure its a throwback logo (which may of originally been modeled off the yankees) but yea they're phasing it out.

c2b4cb35ce1abf1efef20e3b8bb4d938.jpg

That is a great logo for a baseball cap.  I can't imagine why they would want to phase it out (other than if they want consistent use of the primary WV logo).

And for my contribution to the post . . . 

Nationals-style Univ. of Maryland --

spacer.png

Johns Hopkins mixing it up . . . Orioles-style ornithologically correct cap, 80s-early 90s Giants-style script . . . and vests --

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃