College Football 2021 - Logos & Uniforms

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So is someone compensating for big brother moving into their house? Hahahahahaha!!!!! Actually, I'm starting to think there's a rule in the Texas statehouse that every college team must have a logo that includes the state of Texas in it. Even teams whose logos don't work well with it, do it here. 

This logo has been around since 2012 and it was featured on the pants last season. There has always been a battle in the state to be the primary program with Texas and A&M jumped out back in 2012 with marketing themselves as THE Texas school in the SEC and will probably continue to do so until UT arrives. I think part of making it the primary mark is it works better for digital use as the letters themselves have no outline so it can lead to maroon letters getting lost on dark backgrounds and the white letters alone as a mark get lost on white backgrounds and media companies dont always make the right choice. The solution A&M tried ot use for a few years now was making the primary mark be the white letters in a maroon box but even that looked awkward on a web/app scoreboard as the only team to have a random square around the primary logo.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2021 at 2:58 PM, _RH_ said:

Truth...was just hoping against hope that maybe this trend will change too.  (Why would Nike even bother to design the socks if the teams don't make players wear them?)

Thinking more about my alma mater, I was trying to think how they could unify the pattern (and maybe make it more unique than a typical Northwestern pattern).  Since 6 columns have a historical meaning to the university, I wonder if they could've done something with 6 rather than 5 stripes:

a4MAh8P.png

Are there examples out there of the last two styles?

This is an excellent question that I've been mulling over for the last few days.  Here's where I landed... 

I don't think the 6 stripes works in this color scheme... if you had a color scheme with two colors of a similar brightness like red and royal blue, you might be able to pull it off; but here you can see that on the gold and white backgrounds the black stripes dominate the lighter color too much for an asymmetrical pattern to work.

Like you figured out, what could work and would barely change the traditional Northwestern stripes is to use a six column grid rather than a pattern. 

I personally like the striping pattern on the gold pants because the white and gold are separated and do not bleed into one another. I think if you take the same approach with the white pattern, it works just as well there. 

That would make the guiding rule of the striping pattern that white and gold are not allowed to touch. 

PU4HvTP.png

My alma mater, Stetson (FCS Pioneer League), finally got some new uniforms that fit the updated athletics branding that released in 2018. Every other sport at the school has updated with the custom font and new apple green color since then except the football team (weird, I know). Now, they finally look good. 

I'm so glad they're using the double green instead of black like they were before. Baseball and basketball are the only sports that still use black in some capacity anymore. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 8/19/2021 at 11:48 AM, GFB said:

This is an excellent question that I've been mulling over for the last few days.  Here's where I landed... 

I don't think the 6 stripes works in this color scheme... if you had a color scheme with two colors of a similar brightness like red and royal blue, you might be able to pull it off; but here you can see that on the gold and white backgrounds the black stripes dominate the lighter color too much for an asymmetrical pattern to work.

Like you figured out, what could work and would barely change the traditional Northwestern stripes is to use a six column grid rather than a pattern. 

I personally like the striping pattern on the gold pants because the white and gold are separated and do not bleed into one another. I think if you take the same approach with the white pattern, it works just as well there. 

That would make the guiding rule of the striping pattern that white and gold are not allowed to touch. 

PU4HvTP.png

Cool, thanks for the response.  Like your comment about 2 colors of similar brightness, I think yellow is really the problem (not specifically a Mizzou issue...yellow in general)...adjacent to white just never works, and everyone has to have white for road jerseys.  

Along the lines of your pic, I wonder if there is some way to demonstrate that the center grid/stripe is actually 2.  One option would be a narrow stripe in the middle (I did something similar with gray in my first image), but then I guess technically you're up to 7 lines!  Here are two different widths for that (and it's kinda cool how the background color also matches that center line).

7ydjOfd.png

Personally I think that's different enough to be unique but not so busy as to be overly distracting.

@_RH_  At that point, it comes down to artistic preference.  Personally, I prefer not to get too heavy-handed with a design feature like this; I'd rather the grid go unnoticed and be a cool little feature for those that care rather than being more obvious and risk over-designing.  But if you prefer clarity of concept, I think your suggestion works well. 

8 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Minnesota will be wearing new black uniforms in their opening game vs Ohio State

https://247sports.com/Article/Minnesota-Golden-Gophers-football-blackout-uniforms-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-game-2021-season-169446190/

That reaction video was so fake, how do they not see a uniform on a mannequin when it’s in the middle of the locker room and guys are literally right on top of it. 

13 hours ago, dont care said:

That reaction video was so fake, how do they not see a uniform on a mannequin when it’s in the middle of the locker room and guys are literally right on top of it. 

They had them walk into a dark locker room and turned on the lights, hence their reaction.

34 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

They had them walk into a dark locker room and turned on the lights, hence their reaction.

I know that’s what they are trying to show, but you really think no one saw it as they entered the locker room and don’t tell me it was too dark they couldn’t see. They wouldn’t open themselves up to that liability for a uniform reveal.

7 hours ago, dont care said:

I know that’s what they are trying to show, but you really think no one saw it as they entered the locker room and don’t tell me it was too dark they couldn’t see. They wouldn’t open themselves up to that liability for a uniform reveal.

It was a stupid video, the reactions were definitely over the top faked, and the uniform is a horrendous addition to the worst uniform set in the P5.

But do you really think that having players walk into a dark locker room is such a great liability that it's impossible? That's almost as ridiculous as the video itself lol.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

10 minutes ago, JTernup said:

It was a stupid video, the reactions were definitely over the top faked, and the uniform is a horrendous addition to the worst uniform set in the P5.

I do not get the hate that the Minnesota uniforms get. They're a fairly clean set with some design in the numbers that you can't even see.

And Minnesota plays in the same division as Illinois, whose uniforms are infinitely worse

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

25 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

I do not get the hate that the Minnesota uniforms get. They're a fairly clean set with some design in the numbers that you can't even see.

And Minnesota plays in the same division as Illinois, whose uniforms are infinitely worse

The vast majority of the board (including myself) hates random black uniforms. They minimize the school colors and are often poorly done even in a vacuum. The other big issue with Minnesota right now is all of the PJ Fleck boat crap.

Has Illinois unveiled new uniforms this season? If not, well there's your answer as to why they're not being brought up. There are lots of teams with exclusively terrible uniforms that we're not talking about because the awful getups they have have been around since before this offseason.

All uniform reaction videos are terrible.

6 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Well the fact there coach has an unhealthy  obsession with with “row the boat” and has to plaster oars all over every uniform he touches

14 minutes ago, dont care said:

Well the fact there coach has an unhealthy  obsession with with “row the boat” and has to plaster oars all over every uniform he touches

If he ever went to a school like Alabama or Clemson, I'd think he'd lose his mind if he wasn't allowed to do that.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived