Professional Lacrosse Changes

Jer15

Given the fact that Paul Rabil went to DeMatha Catholic High School in Maryland, I'm surprised he didn't green light one of the deer  logos for the Redwoods. DeMatha's team name is the Stags.

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 3 weeks later...

So what is this?  According to NLL:

The League has announced NLL UnBOXed™, a new grassroots youth participation and fan engagement initiative designed to bring the NLL’s fast-paced lacrosse game play to more young boys and girls in more communities across North America.

Nine new “NLL UnBOXed Lacrosse Communities” will join the 15 existing NLL teams for the 2024 launch of the multi-tiered campaign: Baltimore, Charlotte, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Montréal, Ottawa, Salt Lake City, Seattle, St. Louis, and the Tampa Bay area.

The NLL will practice innovation and unique activation when engaging these non-franchise markets and grassroots participants, by creating community-relevant “team names” and brand identities to illustrate the League’s commitment to growing box lacrosse across Canada and the United States.

No, these aren’t expansion franchises – yet, anyway. But growing a fan base from the ground up gives the NLL an advantage when it looks to future expansion. The goal is to introduce box lacrosse to more than 100,000 kids a year – and make them fall in love with it.

NLL UNBOXED™ MAY BE COMING TO A CITY NEAR YOU - NLL

Opportunity lost with St. Louis.  The bear(?) should be "strumming" a lacrosse stick held like a guitar . . . maybe with tuning pegs at the end.

I'm now curious to find out what the Baltimore name and logo will be.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Opportunity lost with St. Louis.  The bear(?) should be "strumming" a lacrosse stick held like a guitar . . . maybe with tuning pegs at the end.

I'm now curious to find out what the Baltimore name and logo will be.

13 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Thanks.  I haven't seen any news about this locally, for what that is worth.

I like it.  It has a whimsical MILB quality to it.  

Come to think of it, the script reminds me of the Atlantic League's Southern Maryland Blue Crabs . . . perhaps a little too much.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

9 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Here's the next UnBOXed identity:

I think that's all for today. Probably two more tomorrow and two more Friday.

Not really in love with the name, but that’s a fun logo set! 

Except I hope that the upper right one isn’t supposed to be the state shape, because that’s just about the worst rendering of the borders I’ve ever seen…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 hours ago, officeglenn said:

The deep sea diver was basically the idea for the mascot I was hoping the Kraken would go with before they unveiled Buoy, so I'm glad to see it get some use somewhere.

Not totally sold on all of the warm colors and the logos have a lot going on, but the ideas are solid and the S+anchor is excellent!

In fact, almost all of the alternate logos are excellent and surpass the primaries IMO.

I'm loving Charlotte's branding as a whole a lot.

That Baltimore alternate is pretty good too!

Ottawa looks good, but feels more like a Dallas team with a Pegasus and those colors; the alternate with the lightning is much better IMO.

Maybe I just hate fun but Tampa Bay's is a bit too silly for me, and idk, is "Snowbird" usually used as an insult?

Also I don't get it, are these all brands for one new touring team? Or are they alternate brands for existing teams when they play out-of-market games... and if so, is it one-to-one (e.g. Vancouver is always Seattle, Saskatchewan is always Minnesota, etc.) or can any team be any brand at any given time?

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

If they all become actual NLL teams, this could help the NLL be the next Major League, although they may have to stabilize a few franchises first.  

The MiLB-style names don't help though haha

9 hours ago, vtgco said:

Also I don't get it, are these all brands for one new touring team? Or are they alternate brands for existing teams when they play out-of-market games... and if so, is it one-to-one (e.g. Vancouver is always Seattle, Saskatchewan is always Minnesota, etc.) or can any team be any brand at any given time?

They're not real teams.

The NLL is starting a youth grassroots program in markets that don't currently have teams and creating "teams" for each of the markets to use for said program.

• Meh 1

IbjBaeE.png

56 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

They're not real teams.

The NLL is starting a youth grassroots program in markets that don't currently have teams and creating "teams" for each of the markets to use for said program.

Yeah, the NLL wants the sport to be accessible to all rather than to "a few."  I think this is good for the sport of lacrosse.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea what league this team (Philadelphia Waterdogs) is in, but they're forming a "supporters club" and rolled out these jerseys:

Screenshot-2023-12-05-at-3.58.26-PM.png

(missed opportunity to be the Wooderdogs.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."