Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Fremont Moo honor Nebraska cow population

December 27, 2018 - 16:51 PM

The newest team in the collegiate summer Expedition League puts a new twist on mass-noun sports nicknames like the Heat, Jazz, and Wild. The Fremont Moo will begin play in 2019, celebrating Nebraska’s rich bovine heritage, hoping to become the […]

Read More...

This doesn't really have anything to do with the branding of the Whiskey Jacks and I'd never heard of this new team until now, but I find it kind of interesting this Brandon team is in this American league instead of the WMBL (now WCBL) Canadian league with teams in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Upon googling, I found articles saying the Expedition League wanted a team in Brandon and not the other way around (also the Expedition League only started last year, which is probably why I had never heard of it).

I know from being a fan of the Hitmen in the WHL that Brandon is in a odd place off by itself in the junior sports world and is subject to long bus rides, but from a cursory glance, the travel distance appears to be about the same for the most part for Brandon in either the WCBL or Expedition League. 

IbjBaeE.png

Holy f-ing s. I had thought that singular team names were bad. But now these names have left words behind altogether, and have moved into the realm of sounds that are not even words.

What a breakthrough. Surely it won't be long before we see the debuts of the Denver <raspberry noise>, the Kansas City <fart noise>, and the Omaha <boi-oi-oi-oi-oing>.

This is a reminder that, no matter how terrible things are, they can always get much worse.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Moo is a word. You just wrote it. It's spelled m-o-o.

It's an onomatopoeia, an orthographic imitation of a non-word sound. As Ralph Kramden used to say: "Bang, zoom!"

Even if one wishes to ignore the fundamental difference between an onomatopoeia and a word word (the kind with an etymology), there is no way to deny that this represents a new low in the naming of teams.

You want to honour the cows? Then call the team the Cows. Or the Herd (a singular name, but at least collective in meaning, like wolfpack).

The lesson here is that there is such a thing as "too creative".

22 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

there is no way to deny that this represents a new low in the naming of teams.

If I have a choice between the Moo and the Krunk Wolverines, I'm taking the Moo.

Also, your weird classism against onomatopoeia words is of your own invention.

• Like 2

/taps Omaha Beef logo

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

14 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But now these names have left words behind altogether, and have moved into the realm of sounds that are not even words.

Cambridge Dictionary
moo
noun [C] - /mu:/ PLURAL moos
the sound that a cow makes

moo

verb - /mu:/ PRESENT PARTICIPLE mooing, PAST TENSE AND PAST PARTICIPLE mooed 
to make the long, deep sound that a cow makes

Oxford Living Dictionaries
moo

VERB
Make the characteristic deep, resonant vocal sound of cattle.
'the cows mooed from the barn'

NOUN
1 The characteristic sound of cattle.
'the doleful moo of a cow'

British informal An irritating or incompetent woman.
'you silly old moo'

Merriam-Webster
moo verb

mooed; mooing; moos

Definition of moo

intransitive verb
: to make the throat noise of a cow

I can't speak for its current standing - if any - within Esperanto, but moo is, in fact, "a word word" in the English language. 😉

On 12/26/2018 at 5:02 PM, Discrimihater said:

The bird's eyes look weird IMO.  That said, not 100% sure how I'd go about improving on it.

The shading of white oval next to the left eye makes it look like there is 2 eyes next to each other, maybe by making the white oval smaller it would help.

sms.gif

17 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Holy f-ing s. I had thought that singular team names were bad. But now these names have left words behind altogether, and have moved into the realm of sounds that are not even words.

What a breakthrough. Surely it won't be long before we see the debuts of the Denver <raspberry noise>, the Kansas City <fart noise>, and the Omaha <boi-oi-oi-oi-oing>.

This is a reminder that, no matter how terrible things are, they can always get much worse.

I for one would like to see a team called the Boing-Boing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Cesarano having a conniption fit because that Crash Test Dummies song about the disfigured kids came on the radio

I don't mind it in song titles.

But in the names of teams please stick to actual words.

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:
17 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But now these names have left words behind altogether, and have moved into the realm of sounds that are not even words.

Cambridge Dictionary
moo
noun [C] - /mu:/ PLURAL moos
the sound that a cow makes

moo

verb - /mu:/ PRESENT PARTICIPLE mooing, PAST TENSE AND PAST PARTICIPLE mooed 
to make the long, deep sound that a cow makes

Oxford Living Dictionaries
moo

VERB
Make the characteristic deep, resonant vocal sound of cattle.
'the cows mooed from the barn'

NOUN
1 The characteristic sound of cattle.
'the doleful moo of a cow'

British informal An irritating or incompetent woman.
'you silly old moo'

Merriam-Webster
moo verb

mooed; mooing; moos

Definition of moo

intransitive verb
: to make the throat noise of a cow

I can't speak for its current standing - if any - within Esperanto, but moo is, in fact, "a word word" in the English language. 😉

Very nice.

All languages have onomatopoeias; in Esperanto we have the cry "mu", from which we get the verb "muĝi". And yes, you can find these onomatopoeias in dictionaries; and they behave like normal words in most settings.

Buuuut ... they aren't exactly normal words. They are imitations of sounds.

Would you like a team to be called the Minnesota Ah-Choo or the Sioux City Cokk-a-Doodle-Doo? How about if the Las Vegas 51s, instead of switching to a sensible name, had instead kept the sci-fi theme and had become the Las Vegas Pew-Pew-Pew?

None of these are any worse than the Fremont Moo.