2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

14 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Trying to :censored: a 16 year old prostitute. Statutory rape, technically. 

Welp. Was unaware of that case.

55 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

And Jimmy Snuka got put back in the WWE Hall of Fame!

Hulk Hogan (racist) is in their hall of fame.

Scott Hall (murderer) is in their hall of fame.

Donald Trump (choose your own adventure) is in their hall of fame.

Ric Flair (sexual predator) is in their hall of fame TWICE.

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

17 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

Right? It’s insanity. I know people don’t like the same protections they enjoy also being enjoyed by other, genuine :censored:heads, but imagine if the company you (the Royal you) worked for leaked unsavory emails you sent (over a decade ago!) in order to coerce you into quitting. I’m sorry, Gruden was absolutely in the wrong on that one, but that move by the league feels somehow even worse. This should’ve been a slam dunk for the NFL, but instead they probably walk away looking worse than even he does.

Gruden is an excellent diversion:

1) his remarks are indefensible; even before the moral panic of the late 2010s, making fun of a black guy's lips is waaaaay beyond the pale

2) he's a big name in the NFL without necessarily being one who engenders a lot of passionate feelings either way. I don't think Tampa ever really gave him Ditka status, and I can't imagine Raiders fans have been happy with his body of work. At the same time, he wasn't really a villain (sure is now), either -- even if you didn't like his Monday Night Football shtick, I don't think there was a lot of all-consuming hatred surrounding him. I just regarded Gruden as kind of an NFL fact of life, there's this commentator who used to be a tomato-face coach and now he just says stuff like "here's a guy who's a guy and you need that kind of guy if you wanna have some guys" during Bengals-Steelers games no one watches. 

So if there's really bad stuff going on with the Washington team, and you, Roger Goodell, didn't like the guy who called you gay anyway, get out in front of it and dump all this stuff out there to look good. No one's going to be mad at you.

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

54 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Hulk Hogan (racist) is in their hall of fame.

Scott Hall (murderer) is in their hall of fame.

Donald Trump (choose your own adventure) is in their hall of fame.

Ric Flair (sexual predator) is in their hall of fame TWICE.

At least child murder is off the table.

D0lAv1.gif

That's gotta count for something, right? /s

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Should I tell the story about Hollywood Henderson and the girl in the wheelchair, or is that too gruesome?

Seven of Gruden's 14 complete seasons were 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7. I move that we give the balance of his Raiders contract to the true architect of Gruden's legend, Bill Callahan.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Damn, Madden is giving him the Bill Belichick treatment too? 

Well bill belichick isn’t in the game because he refuses to be a part of the coaches union so they can’t use his likeness, Gruden is out because he’s a trash human being.

• Like 1

I don't do video games anymore, so like, how does this work? Do you have to opt into Madden 22 2.0: Now With Less Jon Gruden, or is it like when Windows does a system update while you're asleep? Do you turn on your game one day and now RAIDERS COACH is there in his place? 

I'd ask more about how the coaches' association would handle him being cut out of a licensing deal that they made, but the genesis of this whole thing was Gruden's hostility to a union, so pffffffft

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

I don't do video games anymore, so like, how does this work? Do you have to opt into Madden 22 2.0: Now With Less Jon Gruden, or is it like when Windows does a system update while you're asleep? Do you turn on your game one day and now RAIDERS COACH is there in his place?

In my limited experience (x-perience?) with my xbox series s, I'd have to manually pull the update down for it to get the patch.  But I mean, who cares?  

It all falls into the "we need to take action so we look good" thing, and chances are they'll break stuff in the process.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Just now, CS85 said:

It all falls into the "we need to take action so we look good" thing, and chances are they'll break stuff in the process.

Yeah, probably; one of countless overnight Windows updates borked my wi-fi driver so every now and then when I turn the computer back on I have to manually disable and re-enable it and there's no update that seems to make it better. Condolences to Madden players who BSOD out because they tried to challenge a play with RAIDERS COACH.

• Like 1

He's not in the game, so he shouldn't be in the game. Doesn't really need to be more than that. Presumably they'll add in his replacement at some point?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm no Madden expert, but once a player is cut or retires, doesn't the game update to remove him from the game? Or if any coach is fired he's replaced with a generic head coach, regardless of circumstances?  What EA is doing with Gruden seems like standard protocol for anyone no longer in the league 

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

35 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

He's not in the game, so he shouldn't be in the game. Doesn't really need to be more than that. Presumably they'll add in his replacement at some point?

You’re right. HE’s not. We’re talking about a number. I’m a Washington fan 100% and Taylor was an incredible player for the team, but I still deny the sentiment that his number should be retired. He (sadly) wasn’t able to accomplish enough in his very short career to justify a removal of number in circulation or number retirement

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

The Washington Football Team is officially retiring 21 on Sunday

I’m of the opinion that the number shouldn’t be retired and needed to be back in circulation a few years ago.

Keep in mind Washington un-retired Theismann's #7 for Dwayne Haskins a couple years ago. A kind gesture, but also an empty one when numbers are un-retired.

6uXNWAo.png

6 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

You’re right. HE’s not. We’re talking about a number. I’m a Washington fan 100% and Taylor was an incredible player for the team, but I still deny the sentiment that his number should be retired. He (sadly) wasn’t able to accomplish enough in his very short career to justify a removal of number in circulation or number retirement

Pretty sure he was still talking about Gruden in Madden and not Taylor. 

On the subject of Taylor’s jersey retirement, announcing it so suddenly (literally less than a week before the actual ceremony) seems to indicate that they’re just hoping this distracts everyone from what’s swirling around right now. 

• Like 6

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Yeah, I was talking about Gruden. Pronouns, pal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags