2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

8 hours ago, dont care said:

I wouldn’t get too excited beating an awful giants team that lost their stud rb, and their already bad qb for and even worse one.

It’s not who they beat, it’s how they have beat these teams in this win streak.

I know the Giants were injured/a bad team and aren’t anything special, but this is a game the Cowboys would have made far closer than it should have been in the last 10 years. Good teams blowout bad teams/injured teams.

They had a couple of setbacks today that would have been their downfall in recent years (early INT and unforced fumble at the GL), but it didn’t matter. The Cowboys shrugged it off like it never happened, which the Cowboys have never done in the last decade. 

And lest you forget, the Cowboys are missing 6 starters but again, it doesn’t matter. A single injury use to decimate them. Now they can handle multiple like it’s nothing. 

I know it’s the Cowboys and they always get exposed as frauds at some point, without fail. It’s what they do, which is why I’m even hesitant saying this. They have been frauds/disappointing basically my entire life, but there is something different about this team.

I haven’t felt this way about a team since the 2017 Eagles and definitely never about a Cowboys team. 

• Like 2

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

11 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

What college coaches have actually worked out in the NFL? 

Jim Harbaugh is the first that comes to mind. 

I'm not big on college football so I can talk too much, but was Meyer really that sought after? It's not like he was a Nick Saban right? (not that his pro record is anything to brag about either). 

Seems like a hiring done for all the wrong reasons. 

As far as the Gruden stuff, I don't see the big deal on that. Obviously he was pissed and used language he really shouldn't have, but he wasn't in the NFL at the time & as far as I've heard, he's never had any kind of history with racism. 

And man, KC really has fallen huh? Schedule obviously hasn't helped but they certainly aren't the juggernaut they were a year or 2 ago.  Who would have thought it's the Chargers at the forefront of the division.  I'm happy what Chargers fans are left are enjoying some sustained success finally, but I hate how it's also rewarding bad ownership like Spanos. 

Bills are legit now too. How ironic that after the Patriots finally fall it's another AFC East team that rises to basically take their place. LOL

Pete Carroll

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Pete Carroll

Doug Marrone was successful at Syracuse and then got the Jaguars of all franchises to the AFC CG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

He should probably be more concerned about points than yards. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

29 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

In other words, "be really, extraordinarily good." What a great plan!

Might as well aim high.  200/200 for a season has been done exactly once.

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/30/ravens-offense-sets-nfl-record-200-passing-and-rushing-yards-per-game/

• Like 5

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

17 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

What college coaches have actually worked out in the NFL? 

Umm... in addition to the afore-mentioned Pete Carroll, there are quite a few  college head coaches that did very well in the NFL:

Paul Brown - Ohio State (four AAFC titles and 3 NFL titles with the Browns).

Bill Walsh  - Stanford (three Super Bowl wins, six NFC West Titles).

Jimmy Johnson - University of Miami (two Super Bowl wins with Cowboys, another 3 years with the Dolphins)

Tom Coughlin - Boston College ( two Super Bowl wins with the Giants, helmed the most successful expansion team in league history in Jacksonville -- during Coughlin's tenure there, the Jaguars made four consecutive playoff appearances and went to the AFC Championship Game twice). 

Dick Vermiel - UCLA (led the Eagles to the Super Bowl and won a Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams).

Barry Switzer - Oklahoma (45-26 record with the Cowboys and won a Super Bowl-- albeit with Jimmy Johnson's players).

Bobby Ross - Georgia Tech (led the Chargers to their only Super Bowl; won two division titles and made the playoffs three times; not so good in Detroit afterwards).

John Robinson - USC (2 NFC Title games during his 8 year tenure with  the LA Rams).

Dennis Green - Stanford (97–62 record as Vikings head coach and came within a missed field goal of a Super Bowl in 1998; not so good with the Cardinals afterwards).

John McKay  - USC (built the Buccaneers from an expansion laughing stock to the NFC Title Game in their 4th year). 

Steve Mariucci - Cal (57-39 in six seasons with the 49ers, including two NFC West titles; not so good in Detroit afterwards).

• Like 4

It is what it is.

9 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Bobby Ross - Georgia Tech (led the Chargers to their only Super Bowl; won two division titles and made the playoffs three times; not so good in Detroit afterwards).

Where's the Maryland love? 😛

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

21 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Umm... in addition to the afore-mentioned Pete Carroll, there are quite a few  college head coaches that did very well in the NFL:

Paul Brown - Ohio State (four AAFC titles and 3 NFL titles with the Browns).

Bill Walsh  - Stanford (three Super Bowls, six NFC West Titles).

Jimmy Johnson - University of Miami (two Super Bowls with Cowboys, another 3 years with the Dolphins)

Tom Coughlin - Boston College ( two Super Bowls with the Giants, helmed the most successful expansion team in league history in Jacksonville -- during Coughlin's tenure there, the Jaguars made four consecutive playoff appearances and went to the AFC Championship Game twice. 

Dick Vermiel - UCLA (led the Eagles to the Super Bowl and won a Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams).

Barry Switzer - Oklahoma (45-26 record with the Cowboys and won a Super Bowl-- albeit with Jimmy Johnson's players).

John Robinson - USC (2 NFC Title games during his 8 year tenure with  the LA Rams).

Dennis Green - Stanford (97–62 record as Vikings head coach and came within a missed field goal of a Super Bowl in 1998; not so good with the Cardinals afterwards)

John McKay  - USC (built the Buccaneers from an expansion laughing stock to the NFC Title Game in their 4th year. 

Steve Mariucci - Cal (57-39 in six seasons with the 49ers, including two NFC West titles; not so good in Detroit afterwards)

I think the college and pro game are probably more different now than they were decades ago, and the addition of the salary cap has changed things even more.  I agree that all of those* were successful NFL coaches (or successful enough), but what's more telling is who's been able to do it in the modern salary-cap era.  I'd wager that the coaches more likely to succeed are ones that come from lower-profile schools where they don't benefit by being able to recruit the top players in the nation every year, and don't have the status of "most important man at the whole university if not entire state".  Talented coaches that prove it with players who aren't the best and who are a little humble would seem to me to be the best candidates to succeed.

*lol Barry Switzer.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It'd be interesting to contrast college/pro football vs. basketball success rates. I feel like at the core, basketball coaching requires far more relationship management than does football, so the college to pro (and vice versa) leap probably isn't as substantial as it is with football.

But then I get stuck at Larry Brown and that's about it.

• Like 2

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

44 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It'd be interesting to contrast college/pro football vs. basketball success rates. I feel like at the core, basketball coaching requires far more relationship management than does football, so the college to pro (and vice versa) leap probably isn't as substantial as it is with football.

But then I get stuck at Larry Brown and that's about it.

Basketball coaching is easy. Get on a team with 2+ stars and just tell them to play ball. You aren’t going to out strategy talent in basketball.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

30 minutes ago, dont care said:

Basketball coaching is easy. Get on a team with 2+ stars and just tell them to play ball. You aren’t going to out strategy talent in basketball.

Today I learned there have never been upsets in basketball ever.

• Like 8

After watching yesterday’s shameful display, I think the Chiefs need to go in a bold new direction. Steve Spagnoulo needs to be fired and replaced with an orangutan. Half the plays will be better than what Spags calls and the other half involves flinging feces at the zebras. No matter how you slice it, it’s an improvement. Reject Spagsanity, return to monke.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, dont care said:

They are far outweighed by super teams winning the finals each years.

The 2021 Bucks were not a superteam. The 2020 Lakers were not a superteam. The 2019 Raptors were not a superteam.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The 2021 Bucks were not a superteam. The 2020 Lakers were not a superteam. The 2019 Raptors were not a superteam.

The bucks have one of the best basketball players in the world and a few other stars around him. In what world are the lakers not a super team? 2019 raptors is about as close as it gets but even they had kwahi leonard, and a few stars around him. Come on try harder.

• Yawn 1