MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

10 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I feel like these hats find a way to get uglier and uglier every year. 

I liked the ones from 2016, where the bill was grey and the whole hat was pink. I have the Cubs fathers day equivalent that has the grey bill and the blue crown and blue logo. I think that would probably be the best way. The grey is neutral enough for it to work with all of the teams, even if the pink doesn't mix in well.

3 hours ago, M4One said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The jerseys are a tribute to the city's iconic fountains and art deco architecture.  They are navy as a reference to past teams.  The sleeve logo is a homage to the Royals original logo.   First game April 30.

Also, from the ESPN article I got all this info from, they were also chosing between designs referencing BBQ and jazz.

These are gorgeous, and really the best example of how to do one of these city-themed alternates without looking like a team from an alternate reality. 

These are unmistakably the Royals paying subtle homage to one distinct element of their city. They're not the Kansas City Fountains or the Fountain City Kings or the BBQ City Pitmasters, etc. This is the correct way to do it. 

• Like 9

Meh.  At least it actually looks something like a Royals jersey.  I still don't see why any of these CC uniforms are worth getting excited about, none of them are really very impressive IMO.

...The Beatles reference earns points though. :)

• Like 2

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

34 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Meh.  At least it actually looks something like a Royals jersey.  I still don't see why any of these CC uniforms are worth getting excited about, none of them are really very impressive IMO.

...The Beatles reference earns points though. :)

i think the excitement is two-fold.

1) it's clear the CCs will be something different, whether that ends up being good or bad. in a league where alternate looks are generally just re-colors of home looks, i think fans get pumped up about, "how will they re-imagine my team's identity?"

2) on-field baseball looks lend themselves exceedingly well (i would say probably the best) to merchandising. there are two on-field elements that fans can buy, and it ranges based on how much you want to invest ( $43 for a cap vs. $130 for a jersey, plus the $35 "shirsey").  for my team, when they get their CC look next year, i'm excited about the prospect of working a new-look mets cap into my rotation.

the bad reactions are predictable (some valid, some, IMO, overblown), since it's usually a divestiture from the normal team aesthetic. 

• Like 6

sig2024.png

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Most of the prior teams in the history of KC before the Royals wore navy like the Monarchs and Athletics.

okay, but isn't it a bit (very) stupid to  exactly copy the Cubs CC unis?

right down to the light blue long sleeves underneath!

even the pose is the same! 😯

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

spacer.png

That's not an exact copy though. Quite a few differences. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

27 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

spacer.png

This makes me wonder to what extent teams collaborating with Nike share their ideas independently of one another without Nike telling a team "You should probably know Team X came up with something very close to what you want to do." 

• Like 1

Look at this, a T-shirt with 4 random placed patches, then ad the ad patch next season!

Up down left right!

I am sorry, that is not a very pleasing look.  The opposite of symmetrical!

The patches are all over the place  🌀

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, Marlins93 said:

I could be mistaken, but I am under the impression that the Marlins have not worn their black alternates even once this season so far. It could this be the end of an error? 

what you did there? I saw it. Anyway, I agree, Blue marlin alt for next year. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

On 4/26/2022 at 12:55 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Why can't they just wear it now?  I don't understand these damn rules or why they're so stiff about it.  Maybe a new blue alt with Marlins on it?

Design-wise, it's not a great jersey aside from the shade of blue. That's the only thing it has going for it. It needs to be re-designed for real game use.

• Like 1
  • Love 1