MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

@NicDB I didn't want to say that but I've personally found that to be quite correct.

When I first started visiting Milwaukee I found it to be a smaller version of Chicago. There's definitely a lot of cultural exchange with Milwaukee residents coming South and Chicagoans going North. Lots of similar neighborhoods, sights, restaurants, etc. (I made my coffee this morning with beans from Collectivo.)

As I'm sure you know, at least half the population of Chicago isn't fond of the Cubs either. There's also the commonality that Brewers and White Sox fans both tailgate before games. Though last time I tailgated we brought fried shrimp from Lawrence Fishery rather than grill.

100 percent. In fact since moving down here, I've been pleasantly amused at the amount of Sox fans I've met who made the Brewers their NL rooting interest because I started following the Sox a lot more closely since I decided to move here. Frank Thomas was my favorite non Brewer back in the day and my grandpa was a southsider who lived near one of their farm clubs when I was growing up. So I saw a lot of their prospects in the 80s.

Either way... I want a Hiawatha Series!

• Like 1

so the mets' beautifully-stupid inaugural season patch from 2009 was for nothing then, smh 
AbQCHtB.png

In all seriousness though, I went over this when the NHL rolled them out 2 years ago, but I can't express how much ads on uniforms genuinely ruin the experience for me; they just straight-up make me enjoy sports less.

Blahblahblah "they need to do this;" no they don't. Soccer needs them to make up for the lack of TV commercials, minor leagues need them to help pay the bills; the American Big Four want them because they need line to go up. Let me put it this way: even the Olympics still (claim to) believe in "the integrity of the game" enough to ban all on-field advertising, even sponsored stadium names! In this aspect even the IOC are less greedy and corrupt than the American Big Four!

The only solace I can take is that within a year or two they'll be background noise, so to speak, for most viewers, like all ads and commercials are; but that takes us to the Slippery Slope, doesn't it? They'll need to put them in even more obtrusive places to make up for the ones we ignore now.

Anyways if y'all can stomach it or are able to still watch undistracted, you're better men than I; but when it starts becoming more ad than sport, then I just can't help but check out more and more. See y'all in 20 years when we're cheering for the Motorola Padres, American Family Brewers and Guaranteed Rate White Sox, I guess.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

The only solace I can take is that within a year or two they'll be background noise, so to speak, for most viewers, like all ads and commercials are; but that takes us to the Slippery Slope, doesn't it? They'll need to put them in even more obtrusive places to make up for the ones we ignore now.

Well that's it really. I don't ever take notice of the CFL jersey ads, they're just "there".

I don't know about the slippery slope though.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

so the mets' beautifully-stupid inaugural season patch from 2009 was for nothing then, smh 
AbQCHtB.png

In all seriousness though, I went over this when the NHL rolled them out 2 years ago, but I can't express how much ads on uniforms genuinely ruin the experience for me; they just straight-up make me enjoy sports less.

Blahblahblah "they need to do this;" no they don't. Soccer needs them to make up for the lack of TV commercials, minor leagues need them to help pay the bills; the American Big Four want them because they need line to go up. Let me put it this way: even the Olympics still (claim to) believe in "the integrity of the game" enough to ban all on-field advertising, even sponsored stadium names! In this aspect even the IOC are less greedy and corrupt than the American Big Four!

Anyways if y'all can stomach it or are able to still watch undistracted, you're better men than I; but when it starts becoming more ad than sport, then I just can't help but check out more and more.*See y'all in 20 years when we're cheering for the Motorola Padres, American Family Brewers and Guaranteed Rate White Sox, I guess.

Thank you for putting it into words for me

5 hours ago, Toodles1980 said:

The Bucks have sorta taken the mantle of "Milwaukee's team" IMO, and really leaned hard into being a Milwaukee specific team. The Brewers have sorta trended the other way, trying to reach out to the state. I'm hoping the Brewers reverse this trend with a city specific concept, but I'm not holding my breath. 

You're not wrong. I've always found it odd that Wisconsin acts like the whole state has a mutually supportive fanbase. Reality is that such a thing only exists for the Packers. Or the Badgers when they're in a B1G Championship, or something like the Rose Bowl or the Final/Frozen Four.

Out of the Milwaukee teams, the Brewers were always the one that's more acceptable to the rest of the state. Especially since they affiliated with the MiLB club in the Fox Cities.

The Bucks tried to replicate that by putting the Wisconsin Herd down the road, but in hindsight, they'd have been mich better off taking the Racine bid.

That said, I can only only hope the Brewers have learned from the Bucks. And the people's flag being the Brewers plus powder blue makes them understand the direction they need to go in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Dodgers have a patch on the back of the hats(!) 21 it says, is that a memorial patch?

they no longer have them on the jersey sleeve?

is that because the sleeve already are reserved for an ad!?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33690179/mlb-giving-roberto-clemente-award-winners-new-patch-caps-helmets-sources-say

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 hours ago, insert name said:

Welp. It's here, it's big and it's ugly.

This is so huge, there's no room for another patch. Let's say they get to the World Series next season, they won't wear a WS patch. Are we just done with those? This sucks on every level. 

takerpissed.gif

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png

19 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It'll go on the left sleeve per previous articles. 

14 hours ago, insert name said:

what about teams who already have a patch on the left sleeve?

actually, it's going to switch sides based on the player's handedness to give the advertiser "better visibility." so yeah, you're going to see a whole lot of non-uniform uniforms next year.

i'm super opposed to uni ads, but i'd be lying if i said i enjoyed the NBA or NHL any less. what i don't get is why baseball decided to go this big. all uni ads look like garbage, but comparative to the NBA (the size of which really doesn't bother me that much) it really does looks terrible..

• Like 2

sig2024.png

On 4/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, insert name said:

Welp. It's here, it's big and it's ugly.

This is so huge, there's no room for another patch. Let's say they get to the World Series next season, they won't wear a WS patch. Are we just done with those? This sucks on every level. 

It's HUGE. 

I wish teams would at least get local sponsorships. It would be better if the Padres had a Stone Brewing, Sea World, San Diego Zoo, UC San Diego Health, Qualcomm, or even a Jack in the Box ad. Who even uses a Motorola anymore?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian E said:

what i don't get is why baseball decided to go this big. all uni ads look like garbage, but comparative to the NBA (the size of which really doesn't bother me that much) it really does looks terrible..

Probably because baseball owners somehow manage to give even less of a s--t about their fans than all other sports owners. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 4:25 AM, NicDB said:

Not sure if I said it in this thread but I'm predicting something based on the peoples flag. Maybe "Brew City" across the front in the 1980s style script.

That was my sort of prediction as well.  There's a lot of "The Good Land" branded merch at the ballpark currently, a lot of Peoples Flag styled merch, and the slogan on the playoff hoodies last year was Brew City.  I can very well see it being the City Connect jersey.

• Like 1

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 4/19/2022 at 6:56 PM, NicDB said:

100 percent. In fact since moving down here, I've been pleasantly amused at the amount of Sox fans I've met who made the Brewers their NL rooting interest because I started following the Sox a lot more closely since I decided to move here. Frank Thomas was my favorite non Brewer back in the day and my grandpa was a southsider who lived near one of their farm clubs when I was growing up. So I saw a lot of their prospects in the 80s.

Either way... I want a Hiawatha Series!

Sorry for the double post, but you can count me as a +1 to this.  The Brewers will always be my #1 team in all of sports, but living in Chicago my entire life has 100% led to me adopting the Sox as my AL team.  And I know a lot of Sox fans here as well that think highly of the Brewers.  Its a real mix of the Sox playing in Milwaukee before Selig moved the Pilots, the tailgating common interest, and the mutual hatred for the Cubs.

• Like 2

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

6 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Sorry for the double post, but you can count me as a +1 to this.  The Brewers will always be my #1 team in all of sports, but living in Chicago my entire life has 100% led to me adopting the Sox as my AL team.  And I know a lot of Sox fans here as well that think highly of the Brewers.  Its a real mix of the Sox playing in Milwaukee before Selig moved the Pilots, the tailgating common interest, and the mutual hatred for the Cubs.

It really is wild to think how close we were to having the Mil Sox. Or that the Sox are literally the reason why the Brewers exist. Hell, add Bill Veeck to the list of things that connects the Sox to Milwaukee.

Can I ask how you became a Brewers fan in Chicago?  

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Please don't give us a series of "_____ City" jerseys.

I'm not a Brewers fan but I liked their beer colored jersey.  Unique color and unique to them.

For me, the litmus test is how closely the "_____ City" name ties into the team's identity.

In the case of the Astros and possibly the Brewers... pretty much on the nose.

• Like 1