MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

11 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I'm wondering if they questioned what the point of using (what could be viewed as) a slightly different orange would be. It's not like the Giants normal colours are navy and red where the International Orange would be a marked and intentional departure, it would just be kind of different where it may have just looked like a misprinted/miscoloured jersey. 

They may have just figured the Giants are famously already orange and figured it was good enough to bridge (ha!) the gap and get the point across.

That's a good point, but the city connect orange (2028) is, in fact, a slightly different orange than the standard orange (172). I am left baffled.

The Diamondbacks are back to the black hats on the road after using the red hats all at home to start the year. However they are still using the red under sleeves/socks on the road too, so that seems to be a full time change, at least for the standard home/away set.

We’ll see what they do with all their alternates 

EDIT: Actually those are the alternate black hats, not the standard ones. Wonder if they've ever worn those with the roads before. 

spacer.png

Edited by Crow23

18 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Nike Jackie Robinson San Francisco Giants Gray Authentic Player Jersey

Nike Jackie Robinson Cleveland Guardians White Authentic Player Jersey

It's weird to me that they are doing this for Jackie Robinson day. the patch has the team's normal number font but the back of the jersey is a Dodger blue 42. Just have the team's normal font on the back and use the 75th anniversary patch on the sleeve.

EML22_FE_JACKIE_0415_AM_A.png

It's symbolic: Jackie represented a color what wasn't on the teams.  Any MLB teams.

4 hours ago, sayahh said:

It's symbolic: Jackie represented a color what wasn't on the teams.  Any MLB teams.

But it clashes with the majority of the teams uniforms, and previous seasons they used the team's normal numbers, with the JRD patch on the sleeves and hats. Uni-Watch has an article on the uniform changes they were made as well. Some of them were pretty significant like taking numbers off of sleeves and the front for a few of the teams. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/15/2022 at 8:34 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Nike Jackie Robinson San Francisco Giants Gray Authentic Player Jersey

Nike Jackie Robinson Cleveland Guardians White Authentic Player Jersey

It's weird to me that they are doing this for Jackie Robinson day. the patch has the team's normal number font but the back of the jersey is a Dodger blue 42. Just have the team's normal font on the back and use the 75th anniversary patch on the sleeve.

EML22_FE_JACKIE_0415_AM_A.png

They over-complicated something that was successful and are trying to redefine clashing aesthetics as good because it's meta. Too many chefs in the kitchen

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

But it clashes with the majority of the teams uniforms, and previous seasons they used the team's normal numbers, with the JRD patch on the sleeves and hats. Uni-Watch has an article on the uniform changes they were made as well. Some of them were pretty significant like taking numbers off of sleeves and the front for a few of the teams. 

Point taken and I don't disagree, but again referring to them perhaps wanting to express an extra level of tribute on this anniversary.  Team without gold get gold/yellow trimmed or colored version names/numbers/logos on their uniforms in baseball and basketball for winning a championship in the previous season, and while blue does clash with some teams, the MLB logo itself (albeit small), also isn't color-coded to match each team.  True: red and blue doesn't always go along well together, like how the Rangers have always gone back and forth and being bipolar about which color should be the more dominant that season, and at a smaller scale, so do the Red Sox and others.  Aesthetics aside, perhaps it's supposed to make people uncomfortable and stick out like a sore thumb SO THAT people WILL ACTUALLY TALK ABOUT IT.  Racism is very much alive in 2022.  Not sure how this will fix it, but taking about it and its relationship to Jackie might at least let us discuss the topic of colors in baseball.  Maybe we should have a patch depicting alkaline batteries so that people will stop throwing them at players, but I digress.

We're living in a golden age of talking about race arguably not seen since the eugenics movement. All we do is talk about race. NPR currently has an entire section of news about race: it goes National, World, Politics, Business, Climate, Science, Health, and Race. Do we need a misassembled baseball uniform to Talk About Race? 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, sayahh said:

and while blue does clash with some teams, the MLB logo itself (albeit small), also isn't color-coded to match each team.  

I agree with everything you said in your post but teams do in fact have color matched MLB logos on hats, jerseys, pants and even gear which you can see below. This has been the case since the late 90’s I believe.spacer.png

• Like 1

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

On 4/15/2022 at 10:29 AM, Crow23 said:

The Diamondbacks are back to the black hats on the road after using the red hats all at home to start the year. However they are still using the red under sleeves/socks on the road too, so that seems to be a full time change, at least for the standard home/away set.

We’ll see what they do with all their alternates 

EDIT: Actually those are the alternate black hats, not the standard ones. Wonder if they've ever worn those with the roads before. 

They have worn the alt snake face cap on the road before, but not with the regular road greys since 2016.  I noticed they switched to brick socks, belts and undershirts and think it looks better. Their current set looks a lot like the '07-'15 set did now with that change. I am wondering if they'll still wear the black gear with their black alts at home though. They also haven't worn either of their alt jerseys yet either. 

The new brick cap was supposed to be an alternate, but it seems like it is there new regular cap now for home games. Which I like.

2 hours ago, DarthBrett said:

They have worn the alt snake face cap on the road before, but not with the regular road greys since 2016.  I noticed they switched to brick socks, belts and undershirts and think it looks better. Their current set looks a lot like the '07-'15 set did now with that change. I am wondering if they'll still wear the black gear with their black alts at home though. They also haven't worn either of their alt jerseys yet either. 

The new brick cap was supposed to be an alternate, but it seems like it is there new regular cap now for home games. Which I like.

Todays look was red caps on the road.  So thats red every game they've worn them except the one yesterday where they wore the alt snake black hat. The regular black hats have not been worn yet this year.  And yeah, they look a lot more like they did when they first rebranded to this color scheme back in 2007.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, JTernup said:

I agree with everything you said in your post but teams do in fact have color matched MLB logos on hats, jerseys, pants and even gear which you can see below. This has been the case since the late 90’s I believe.spacer.png

If that's the case, then my mistake.  I remember color-matched MLB logos on baseball caps but I've always thought that they were done only fashion caps for consumers.  Also, I don't wqtch that many games and most teams I happen to catch have red and blue as one of their primary team colors, hence my oversight/ignorance or forgetfulness.  Are the MLB logo on the A's unis green and yellow, I take it?

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

We're living in a golden age of talking about race arguably not seen since the eugenics movement. All we do is talk about race. NPR currently has an entire section of news about race: it goes National, World, Politics, Business, Climate, Science, Health, and Race. Do we need a misassembled baseball uniform to Talk About Race? 

Perhaps the day when Fox News and NPR don't feel the need to have to talk about race is the day when we don't have to shine light on it anymore.  People forget that there were people in the US who voted against the creation of a federal MLK Jr. holiday.  Also, the sham interview for a POC coaching position just to satisfy the Rooney Rule and Colin Kaepernick's blacklisting proves that race is still not just an issue but very prevalent and alive even though integration has benefitted athletes and rich team owners alike yet it's still a club reserved exclusively for the 0.1% who are often caught extorting the middle class and the local civic leaders for taxpayer money and tax incentives.  Yes, even the JR Day can be considered pandering and paying lip service and not exactly actively and promoting change, and the partisan confirmation hearing of KBJ  it might be more about politics than racism, but it does change the fact that the more things change (for better and for worse), the more they stay the same.  Shaking things up in areas outside where they are normally discussed in the media might not be a bad thing.  Will it make a difference?  Any difference?  Who knows.  All I know is that there is still conflict in the Middle East, Russia is at it again with its neighbors as well as against the US but at least for one day in the last 75 years, everyone in MLB will be wearing Jackie Robinson colors.

I just think it was better when the 42s were in the teams' own numeral sets. I don't think using the Dodgers' numbers is starting any conversation we haven't been having already.

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think 2017 and 2018 were the best years aesthetically for Jackie Robinson Day, I prefer team color numbers and fonts on the back of the jersey but with the blue and cream Dodger font patches on the sleeves and hat

• Like 1
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

The more I see it, the more I like the Guardians identity. The new font is unique but still feels appropriate for a century-old team and works well with the conservative uniform design. As a whole, the look is different enough from the past to represent a clean break yet not drastic enough to feel like a culture shock. 

I wish the Commanders had done something similar. 

• Like 4

I'm late on this but the White Sox Spring Training look this year was stupid. I like the jersey by itself but you have 3 eras of White Sox logos going on and if that wasn't ridiculous enough, they also have red on the jersey logo which is a color that is nowhere else in the teams main identity. I feel like this team is suffering from the same issue the Brewers had over the last decade.

17971444-850x560.jpeg

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png