MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

8 hours ago, tBBP said:

That's fair. I know teams do this all the time--either introduce a new color or emphasize a preexisting team color in their stadium signage, social media, and other media commo outlets, and it always seems to lead to fan speculation about an impending branding change. So far, of the ones I can remember, none of them really have, at least not yet.  That said, Tampa could go yellow/sky blue tomorrow and instantly take their look to at least middle of the pack among MLB brands. They do, however, need to settle on either glint or stingray. Pick one and roll with it.

I'm actually half-inclined to agree with this. I'm unsure of how they eventually settled on green during the 2000 brand update, but I really kinda do wish sometimes they had held onto that. Granted, the blue they used along with that was too close in hue to the green, but if nothing else, that brand stood out--and I always loved that quirky font of theirs. If nothing else, THAT should've stuck around at the very least. 

Instead of the dark royal blue, they should have paired the dark green with lime green.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sitboaf said:

My initial reaction was also happiness about the return of the sunrise palette, but that the hat seemed too busy. But the place my brain went to first was keeping the orbit and removing the star. 

That would work too. But the star is what ultimately ties all the different eras of Astros baseball together.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hormone said:

Funny seeing all the hate for the rays and people saying they have an identity crisis…yet same people REDACTED over the charger uniforms and their three shades of blue in three different sets.

I don't see the correlation here. As @QCS pointed out, the Rays can't decide if they're a fish or sunlight. That's pretty much the definition of identity crisis. 

The Chargers, by contrast, know what they are. I can see why some consider their navy and royal uniforms to be excessive, but they at least have a purpose in representing the team's look from different eras. There's no confusion over what they're attempting to do; there's just disagreement over whether it's necessary. 

Edited by LMU
  • Like 5

If the Rays ever get out of the Trop, I expect new uniforms and/or branding to go with it.  The dark green and navy they have seem to fit the darkness of the dome.  I've thought a Columbia/sky blue and Kelly green combo would look good for them if they ever get an open-air stadium.  

And just embrace the fish Ray

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, JonBoy said:

If the Rays ever get out of the Trop, I expect new uniforms and/or branding to go with it.  The dark green and navy they have seem to fit the darkness of the dome.  I've thought a Columbia/sky blue and Kelly green combo would look good for them if they ever get an open-air stadium.  

And just embrace the fish Ray

I've long thought a sky blue/navy/lime green/yellow look could work. Just warm colors that tie-in to Florida with a bit of navy for balance; I guess that color palette would be close to the current gradient unis, but I'd prefer less navy. Will be interesting to see what they do for City Connect next year. 

------

Watching highlights, did the Tigers switch back to plain gloss helmets? They wore helmets with metallic paint for a long time. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Funny seeing all the hate for the rays and people saying they have an identity crisis…yet same people REDACTED over the charger uniforms and their three shades of blue in three different sets.

One has nothing to do with the other. People (rightfully) REDACTED over the Chargers standard home and road rotations because they look dynamite and those looks are great enough to carry the two unnecessary alternates, which are mostly ignored because they're once a season alternates. 

The Rays do have an identity crisis, but not because of the sun ray/sting ray confusion. It's because they won't embrace their innate 1998ness. What I'd like to see them do is jazz up the jerseys. The color scheme is good and they've weathered the navy blue/light blue tsunami we got hit with around 2008 and came out the other side with the ability to own it, especially with yellow coming along for the ride. But they use a pretty blah piping and number treatment and a very Windows 95/mayonnaise jar looking wordmark. Lean into that color scheme and don't be afraid to use more than one color on the numbers. That alternate hat they've used with the OG drays logo in the current colors is a great place to start - do that, but on the jerseys. 

Edited by LMU
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 hours ago, NYCdog said:

Cry more. I love to see it from LA fans 😂

Its as pathetic as Cashman, who should be fired. 

Cry about what? The fact that the Astros got caught cheating? Then the players were given immunity from being punished? 

I have no love for LA, but the Astros cheated. Plain and simple. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Funny seeing all the hate for the rays and people saying they have an identity crisis…yet same people cream their shorts over the charger uniforms and their three shades of blue in three different sets.

The Chargers would only be comparable to the Rays if they couldn't decide between basing their brand around the lightning bolt & the horse imagery. 

I'd say Tampa should go back to putting the fish front & center. It's a bit ironic having a ray of light as your logo when you play in one of the most depressing indoor stadiums in America. I'd also do a bit of a combo of eras and go with a powder blue & dark green combo. It'd be completely unique to pro sports, and still feels fitting for a Florida-based team. Tulane has some nice baseball uniforms.

spacer.png

• Like 16
  • Love 3
  • Hate 1

Maybe I'm alone, but I wish the Rays stuck with the plaid bills. Looked good and gave them something unique to build around that wasn't a gradient or muddy colors. It'd work even better with the brighter blue and yellow too.

Astros city is good and I agree that limiting the gradient and mono-navy both work. Monochrome makes sense in baseball. There are colors that are a bit too garish for it (70s Indians come to mind), but most work IMO.

The Guardians, now that I've seen them in action a bit:

• Still don't like the all-navy piping (especially since it makes the navy alt so boring), but that's a carryover issue.
  • The logo and font package works pretty well on the uniform, definitely feels like an upgrade even though it was mostly a lateral move.
  • The G wings logo would make more sense if they dropped the Gs and just gave the baseball wings and a laurel. That said, I don't mind it and I feel like it fits in with other cartoony alt logos around the league. Certainly works from a distance as a sleeve patch.
  • Don't mind that they kept the shiny helmets, but I wish they'd raise the monogram cause it just looks cool to me.

On 3/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

While I disagree on the placket piping for the Mets black jersey (I happen to really like it), I agree wholeheartedly that occasionally breaking the rules to make something look right is the way to go.

That's why I prefer the navy on navy version of the Braves road alternate while breaks several of my cardinal rules of design but I always was attracted to regardless.

956270940.jpeg

Being a long-time Braves fan, I disagree.  In fact, this always bugged me.  I like the red numbers outlined in white much better for the Navy alternates.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:14 PM, aawagner011 said:

When can we expect the Braves gold trimmed opening series look?

Speaking of such things:

1. Does ANYONE out there know what color the "championship gold" Pantone/hex is?

2. Is the "championship gold" the same as the LA Dodgers used (or is it different for every team)?

3. Is the gold the same as the color on the Braves' tomahawk wrappings? (political aspersions, notwithstanding)

On 4/5/2022 at 12:27 PM, Brian E said:

may i humbly submit that teams that use red should just eliminate the red and have gold and their other primary color for the post-title unis?

the extra gold outline just gets lost as a third color, as the red pulls your eye away. boston did the same thing when they did it. 

I disagree.  I think the Braves Red lettering is just fine this year with the championship gold.

Also, on an unrelated note - I think the Astros city connect uniform is the best one released, hands down.  Just a great all-around theme, look, NASA-lettering, etc.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

2 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Brewers are wearing the alternate gold panel caps with the road uniforms again.  Seems like they've made the navy caps the home caps and the gold panel the road caps.

I don't know how I feel about that. The gold panel sticks out like a sore thumb with the roads, as there is little gold present on the uniforms (outlines, piping). Weren't those caps intended to be worn with the navy alts? That would make more sense since they have enough gold to compliment the caps.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Brewers are wearing the alternate gold panel caps with the road uniforms again.  Seems like they've made the navy caps the home caps and the gold panel the road caps.

Maybe there's a  Fanatics type problem and they don't have the solid navy hats yet.  We'll find out on Thursday for the home opener when I'd assume they'll be wearing the cream set.

11 hours ago, EJ_Barlik said:

Speaking of such things:

1. Does ANYONE out there know what color the "championship gold" Pantone/hex is?

2. Is the "championship gold" the same as the LA Dodgers used (or is it different for every team)?

3. Is the gold the same as the color on the Braves' tomahawk wrappings? (political aspersions, notwithstanding)

Not sure on 1 and 2 but the gold outline is definitely different than the yellow tomahawk detailing. I’ve noticed they look closer in-game on the authentic jerseys, but I believe that’s mostly due to the gold sheen of real thread. Compare that to the replicas and see how they treat the two colors. Very different.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

Maybe there's a  Fanatics type problem and they don't have the solid navy hats yet.  We'll find out on Thursday for the home opener when I'd assume they'll be wearing the cream set.

I thought they wore their regular navy hats for a couple spring training games? Or did those have some sort of cactus patch on them?

Either way, the more they wear the gold fronts with their road grays, the more I like it. Not only is it tradition for the Brewers to wear gold fronts on the road (I think I may actually like the way it looks more with the gray than it did with powder blue), but it helps them stand out among all the other navy teams. I like it when I can turn a game on and immediately know who I'm looking at.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Rays wouldn't have an "identity crisis" if they didn't jettison their perfectly fine 2001-07 identity for no reason.

Those colors didn't exactly scream "Florida" to me (sorry, FGCU fans). 

Honestly, all they really need to do is drop navy, or at least reduce it to a trim color. Since they play in such a drab ballpark, going with bright colors like powder blue and gold is good route for them to go.

• Like 3

With Alyssa Nakken's historic in-game appearance last night, it's looking like a City Connect jersey may be on its way to Cooperstown!

(For the record, I'm quite a fan of my team's City Connect jerseys. I just with they had gone with a full "Giants" wordmark instead of just the "G")

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TheGiantsFan said:

With Alyssa Nakken's historic in-game appearance last night, it's looking like a City Connect jersey may be on its way to Cooperstown!

(For the record, I'm quite a fan of my team's City Connect jerseys. I just with they had gone with a full "Giants" wordmark instead of just the "G")

I think the SF logo would have even made more sense than just the G

• Like 7