MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

16 hours ago, NicDB said:

I agree. This is too incredible to not base their regular look on it, and they need once since the current one is now tainted.

I feel like the hat could do without the orbit, though. 

My initial reaction was also happiness about the return of the sunrise palette, but that the hat seemed too busy. But the place my brain went to first was keeping the orbit and removing the star. 

The only good road look that the team has ever had.

51175139.jpg.0.jpg

(Though even then, the cap stinks. Put the current cap logo on that green cap.)

The team has never had a good home look. 

What a consistent disaster asethetically this team has been.  The only time it has ever looked good was the game it played in throwback uniforms of the Senior League's St. Petersburg Pelicans.

st_pete_pelicans.jpg

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

43 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

51175139.jpg.0.jpg

The team has never had a good home look. 

What a consistent disaster asethetically this team has been.  The only time it has ever looked good was the game it played in throwback uniforms of the Senior League's St. Petersberg Pelicans.

st_pete_pelicans.jpg

Ladies And Gentlemen, Your 1979 Tampa Bay Rays! (Wait, What?!?) | The  Shlabotnik Report

This is the best the Rays have ever looked

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

10 hours ago, Crow23 said:

The Rays have been emphasizing the yellow and the burst logo more and more since sometime last year. Its all over the stadium and their twitter graphics. I wonder if its the start of a gradual change.

That's fair. I know teams do this all the time--either introduce a new color or emphasize a preexisting team color in their stadium signage, social media, and other media commo outlets, and it always seems to lead to fan speculation about an impending branding change. So far, of the ones I can remember, none of them really have, at least not yet.  That said, Tampa could go yellow/sky blue tomorrow and instantly take their look to at least middle of the pack among MLB brands. They do, however, need to settle on either glint or stingray. Pick one and roll with it.

9 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

51175139.jpg.0.jpg

I'm actually half-inclined to agree with this. I'm unsure of how they eventually settled on green during the 2000 brand update, but I really kinda do wish sometimes they had held onto that. Granted, the blue they used along with that was too close in hue to the green, but if nothing else, that brand stood out--and I always loved that quirky font of theirs. If nothing else, THAT should've stuck around at the very least. 

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, Crow23 said:

The Rays have been emphasizing the yellow and the burst logo more and more since sometime last year. Its all over the stadium and their twitter graphics. I wonder if its the start of a gradual change.

With the jersey issues the Phillies have had with their cream alts, and the Reds and using their spring training jersey, I would say the Rays decision would just be part of that.

As a local, theyve been emphasizing the burst pretty frequently for at least 5 years now, so I wouldn't expect to see it used any differently.

9 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Still a firm believer that Tampa Bay should fully embrace being the (Sun) Rays

With the pre-2008 wordmark shown above, combined with a purely letter-based TB on the caps, they wouldn't have to choose between fish and sun.

1 hour ago, MNtwins3 said:

Ladies And Gentlemen, Your 1979 Tampa Bay Rays! (Wait, What?!?) | The  Shlabotnik Report

This is the best the Rays have ever looked

For a gag it's fine. For a regular uniform, definitely not.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The green Rays are one of my least favorite uniforms in baseball history. They remind me of mud. They look like someone went to a Men's Wearhouse in 2001 and said "make this whole store a baseball uniform". They're the result of the confluence of a couple bad trends in sports and fashion at the time and the result is a drab, forgettable, nothing statement. Worst part is they bailed on the original expansion look after only three seasons and went from one end of the colorful spectrum to the other so the change has this stink of, "we heard you making fun of our uniforms so good news - our uniforms now have all the charm and color scheme of a morgue."

Green too dark and muted, especially for their domed stadium, paired with a blue too close in value to the green rendering the color nearly pointless. They made sure to really compound the issue by insisting on involving black and wore black batting helmets despite wearing green hats while in the field. Though, I think they wore black hats when on the road? See, I don't even know because the green is so dark in pictures that sometimes it looks black and sometimes it actually is black.  On top of that a script font that is physically irritating to look at outlined in two colors and a drop shadow for good measure. And because it was the mid 2000's they also went through a vest phase. 

Anybody getting worked up to sport their Wimbledon green and very dark royal blue and also black sports team? It's a mess. 

rocco-baldelli-tampa-bay-rays-22983012.j

Not to say their uniforms since 2008 are good either, but they at least try to have a balanced color scheme with some bright splashes here and there. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

23 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/phillies-cream-uniforms-delayed

So where was the Phillies Cream uniforms this weekend?

Because Fanatics suck.

Derrick Goold reported the same thing about both the Cardinals' cream and powder blue jerseys as well. Haven't seen it reported if any other teams are affected by this other than just those two.

Funny seeing all the hate for the rays and people saying they have an identity crisis…yet same people REDACTED over the charger uniforms and their three shades of blue in three different sets.

Edited by LMU
Let's keep bodily functions out of this, mmmkay?
KISSwall09.jpg

18 hours ago, hormone said:

Funny seeing all the hate for the rays and people saying they have an identity crisis…yet same people REDACTED over the charger uniforms and their three shades of blue in three different sets.

I hate the Rays' branding crisis because they have two very different logos on the same jersey (and it looks awful, too). The Chargers, while having two unnecessary uniforms, at the very least know what their brand is and their primary jerseys reflect that.

Edited by LMU
  • Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

The way I see it is they are (sting) rays, hence the sleeve patch, mascot (the rarely used one not Raymond or dj kitty), former name/logos, and the aquarium. They play off the sun ray cause of their home being the sunshine state. That ray is just a spot on the word mark. They choose to blow it up in size a bit. Again, playing off the name ray being used and interpreted differently. Just like teams from buffalo playing off the animal in some of their logos. And here’s more baseball identity crisis (As green colors) and logo crisis (reds wishbone c, old English C, and Mr red…all were worn the other day -hat-jersey-socks). What I was getting at in my original post was I don’t mind the rays. They use two different sting rays and play off the ray (of sunlight)

KISSwall09.jpg

It was awesome seeing the Nationals City Connect uniforms on the field this weekend. They really knocked it out of the park with them, its the best City Connect set I've seen so far!

I love the Astros hat, it should become their primary! The rest of the set is decent too

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png