MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

Take this for what it's worth (because it's the Twitter account of a subreddit).

The account adds saying it's cream (though the picture there seems pretty white) and says "Angels" on the front. It then responds to another tweet saying it's "Not official but very very very likely legitimate", so yeah...

The rumor going around last season was that it was beach themed, so that might track at least.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

24 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Take this for what it's worth (because it's the Twitter account of a subreddit).

The account adds saying it's cream (though the picture there seems pretty white) and says "Angels" on the front. It then responds to another tweet saying it's "Not official but very very very likely legitimate", so yeah...

The rumor going around last season was that it was beach themed, so that might track at least.

The surfboard detail is promising!

Speaking of future City Connects, I find it strange there are no teams scheduled to debut theirs in all of May.

That Astros cap is excellent and should be the full-time cap. After that, I like most of the jersey (font is too wide, "Space City" is dumb, the sleeves aren't great) and I hate dark-colored pants in baseball and also numbers on pants in any sport. The gradient looks good, pleasantly surprised with these.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

I dig the hat and the general idea of having some fun with the Astros, a welcome contrast to the unnecessarily and uncharacteristically staid regular uniforms. The other details of the uniform, I can do without.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, mmejia said:

FP_XFpqX0AADhNY?format=jpg&name=large

While acknowledging that the Alternate Universe [of Pro Sports Aesthetics] that Swoosh Inc. has created has basically brought what used to be the Concepts section of this very board to very real life, I believe stuff like this is what the Nike creative team lives for. All that said, given what it is, so far this is the best of the Nikefried alts unveiled thus far, with the Homestead Grays cherry blossom joints right behind it in close second.

5 hours ago, flyersfan said:

What I really can't believe is how a team found a way to include a gradient as a significant design element...

... and the CCSLC liked it.

There's something to be said for tasteful restraint...and the Swooshkateers finally figured it out on this one. (As opposed to, say, the LA Rams or ATL Falcons alt jerseys). I'm not one who opposes tasteful uses of more decorative design elements--but they also need to work within the confines of the brand to help amplify it rather than just being added at random, no matter how one tries to write up a justification.

A bit more conventional take on these would be a great nighttime home alt for the Stros, IMO.

• Like 8

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

7 hours ago, mmejia said:

Getting the criticisms out of the way. Don't like the navy pants but that's just the traditionalist in me talking. 

But I actually dig everything else. Love the hat. As for the jersey, the Astros should look into keeping that font style and the gradient piping for their uniforms. It's the first real SPACE feeling uniform they've had since their late-90s set. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

XM4KeeA.png

8 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I think this might be a gray-scale photo. The Batterman on a Genuine Merchandise tag (usually the replica notation unless it changed under Nike) is usually the normal blue/white/red, whereas here's it's color-less. 

Could be wrong...a silver surfboard with a silver halo would still make sense. 

Gray-scale would also explain why the jersey looks so white while it's reportedly cream. 

I'm guessing car culture/nostalgia will be a big theme...the upside-down board as only it would appear on a vehicle, LA/OC's famous car culture, even Disney's Cars Land. With that said, if the wordmark is just "Angels", then it seems like their inspiration could be license plates...wherein I think they use the 80s plate font (Bellerose) if the jersey is cream...or, if the jersey is white, they use Rage Italic (though "Angels" in that font doesn't look great). 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Honestly, make the front of the jersey say Astros and I'd take this all the time...

I agree. This is too incredible to not base their regular look on it, and they need once since the current one is now tainted.

I feel like the hat could do without the orbit, though. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/phillies-cream-uniforms-delayed

So where was the Phillies Cream uniforms this weekend?

Because Fanatics suck.

I agree fanatics suck, but wouldn’t Nike be on the hook for outfitting the on field product? Legitimately curious.

• Like 1
KISSwall09.jpg

5 minutes ago, hormone said:

I agree fanatics suck, but wouldn’t Nike be on the hook for outfitting the on field product? Legitimately curious.

I do find it interesting MLB puts the blame on Fanatics too, since you would think Nike would share some of the blame too, but MLB probably doesn't want to make them upset.

Although I'm still not a fan of the City program for MLB, this is probably my 2nd favorite uniform behind the White Sox. However, everything I like about this uniform could easily be transferred to a regular Astros set.

The hat with the gradient is amazing. I could probably do without the planet orbit, though it is kind of growing on me.

Similarly, I do enjoy the gradient piping on the jersey. My only tweak would be to make the wordmark white, to match the cap. I would probably drop the grid pattern on the sleeves, too. 

The number on the pants is a nice touch.

I didn't like the gradient socks at first, but the Nike-speak idea that they're inspired by rocket thrusters is juuust clever enough for me to accept it.

As @insert name said, this is the first Astros uniform in a while, or possibly ever, that really feels like space, so I appreciate it for that. It'd be a solid template for a complete uniform redesign for the 'Stros.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, hormone said:

Fanatics owns the old Majestic plant that’s still making baseball jerseys but now with the Nike logo on them. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

36 minutes ago, insert name said:
Meanwhile over in Tampa...

I hate everything about this

Yeesh...yeah that is an identity crisis if ever there was one. It's really time for them to start all the way over on the identity front. 

11 hours ago, mmejia said:

Getting back to this...the uniform is what it is, but whoever handed this off to be published/posted should have ran it back past final review one more time--they got the mission patch and rainbow piping labels swapped. Maybe this graphic was a bit rushed?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

basically going to echo what people said here: the 'stros' CC unis are good. a couple of the elements (sunrise headspoon, pant numbers, and the cap_ are excellent.  i deduct points for the navy pants (mostly because only a handful of players are going to show the socks and a mono-navy with pro-flare pants is going to look drab.

overall: B+ as-is

if they had gone with white pants: A

sig2024.png

The Rays have been emphasizing the yellow and the burst logo more and more since sometime last year. Its all over the stadium and their twitter graphics. I wonder if its the start of a gradual change.

And its been just one series and they haven't worn any alts but the Diamondbacks seem to be focusing more on the Sedona than the black this year. The new alt hat as well as the undershirts and socks being that red now.

Edited by Crow23