MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

On 9/3/2022 at 2:25 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Get y'all vomit buckets ready...

I can’t get an answer from New Era about why I can’t  find a Cardinals navy road 59Fifty in Low Profile for the past two years, but they’re out there making this garbage!  Aggravating!

• Love 1

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

• 2 weeks later...

Brewers wearing their City Connect jersey on the road tonight, the first time all season as far as I know.

Not sure how many City Connects have been worn on the road so far. The Dodgers wore theirs in San Francisco last year, but that's the only other instance I can remember.

While I will never approve of interleague play, the Mets' recent day game at Oakland gave me a lovely 1973 World Series feeling.  The road uniforms look beautiful in that sunshine.

Mets-at-Oakland.jpg

And the A's cooperated by wearing their kelly green alternates.

632f944398326.image.jpg

Compare that with the original.

1973+gam1+jones.JPG

Unfortunately, the A's persist in wearing a uniform featuring a forgettable Kansas City-era wordmark, rather than a style more appropriate to the franchise's history, such as this.

s-l500.jpg   1172326068.jpg.0.jpg  1272154287.jpg.jpg

But it was lovely to see the pictures with the A's in kelly green, which, combined with the gorgeous Mets road uniforms, brought good memories of one of the best World Series ever.  (Side note: anyone interested in watching a great Series can find all the games in my 1973 playlist in YouTube.)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

It should be just an A. No ‘s. 

No, because this isn't an instance where a team is simply using the letter of the nickname (i.e., the A with halo for the Angels even when the were "California" or the Diamondback's D-Snake logo), this is them using an alternative nickname, the "A's". Therefore, it's applicable to use the 's.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Moseph said:

Why don't they go with a condensed font on long last names like that? I'd have to imagine it would look better than wrapping around the entire back

A better question would be why don't they use a smaller letter size?  And I mean this for all MLB jerseys...I mean, at this point there's really no reason to keep NOBs that big except *reasons* (tradition, mostly). Perhaps this is something for MLB to look into...

...At any rate, this is giving Jared Saltalamacchia's NOB layout a run for its money.

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 9/20/2022 at 5:18 PM, insert name said:

I noticed the POSTSEASON hat patches have made a return after a year hiatus.

mens-new-era-royal-new-york-mets-2022-po

Any word if we're getting Postseason/World Series jersey patches back as well? They didn't have anything last season.

I think last year was down to getting enough of the patches in on time. I like these being stitched on rather than the patch being ironed on. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Did a Saltalamacchia jersey ever just say "SALTY" on the back or did I imagine it?

might have been on one of those dumb nickname little-league gimmick jerseys that they did the past few years.

Here's what a long name looks like when vertically arched.  It's basically impossible to maintain the arch once it gets to a certain number of letters, so compound names would generally require their own NOB treatment separate from the rest of the team if any team went back to vertical arching.

Here, it looks like they're using their standard lettering and just flattening the curve:

front.jpg

Here, it looks like they compressed it more and it doesn't look horrible, but long compound names would still be challenging.

item_93477_2.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe we gotta start abbreviating long surnames and being okay with it, like "Phila" on Sixers jerseys. This is becoming a problem on NFL jerseys, too; guys who insist on like "Hightower-Cromartie Sr." are really pushin' it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Maybe we gotta start abbreviating long surnames and being okay with it, like "Phila" on Sixers jerseys. This is becoming a problem on NFL jerseys, too; guys who insist on like "Hightower-Cromartie Sr." are really pushin' it.

I knew at least a couple of kids with hyphenated names back in the very early '90s, but at least in my experience, it's become far more prevalent in just the past 15ish years, give or take.

I have yet to encounter anyone who has a hyphenated name and then carried that over to a child, who also had a hyphenated name, but as the current crop of hypnators reproduces, it's sure to become less rare.   Like if Dominique Rogers-Cromarti had a kid with Jane Doe and the kid was Jack Rodgers-Cromarti-Doe.  At that point, the uniform would either not be letterable, or they'd have to get really creative, like a single nameplate but with the letters screened or printed in a custom size / treatment.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Solution: get the player names off the uniforms.

As the Yankees and the Red Sox prove constantly (not to mention the Giants formerly, and every team during the tributes to Jackie Robinson and Roberto Clemente), the uniforms look much better with no names. What's more, every guy on a team has a unique number, so there is no need for a name.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

In the NHL, either the league or the Rangers told Mats Zuccarello Aasen to shorten his NOB to just Zuccarello, so there is some precedent for this