MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

I believe the Phillies burgundy swirly P with accompanying light blue ROAD uniforms of the 70's and 80's is vastly superior in every way to the 1993 red and white uniforms and it's what the Phillies should be wearing for every game, but I'm glad and relieved they won't be clinching the World Series in the powder blue throwbacks. That'd be a weird anachronistic uniform curio that we should try to avoid. 

The 2016 Cavs are always my example for this. They wore black T-shirts in what would become the biggest moment in franchise history and nobody stopped them and now it looks silly. It's sort of like if the Hartford Whalers had won the Stanley Cup while wearing cooperalls. A short-lived trend cemented forever. I don't like alternate uniforms in the playoffs for that reason. If the burgundy look is good enough to wear when you're playing to clinch the World Series then that should be what you wear all the time. If not then stick to your primary look for postseason games. 

• Like 9

PvO6ZWJ.png

46 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Uniform nerds rejoice!

Speaking as a uniform nerd, I do not rejoice at powder blue.  Rather, I lament.

That Phillies uniform style was great.  The P logo was gorgeous; and the number font fit the aesthetic perfectly.  The home uniform was one of the best looks in baseball.

And the road uniform, which had been grey in its first couple of seasons, started looking good again in 1989 when powder blue was replaced by grey — like on an actual baseball uniform.

Schmidt-1989.png

1992 Fleer Baseball #534 Von Hayes | eBay  1990 Philadelphia Phillies Photocards Baseball - Gallery | Trading Card  Database

The maroon popped so beautifully against the grey background; this was a huge improvement over the silly powder blue. 

The idea of wearing a past uniform style that never should have been changed is a great one.  But that uniform should be the sharp home uniform, not the road uniform, and least of all the regrettable powder blue version.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That Phillies uniform style was great.  The P logo was gorgeous; and the number font fit the aesthetic perfectly.  The home uniform was one of the best looks in baseball.

And the road uniform, which had been grey in its first couple of seasons, started looking good again in 1989 when powder blue was replaced by grey — like on an actual baseball uniform.

Schmidt-1989.png

1992 Fleer Baseball #534 Von Hayes | eBay  1990 Philadelphia Phillies Photocards Baseball - Gallery | Trading Card  Database

The maroon popped so beautifully against the grey background; this was a huge improvement over the silly powder blue. 

The idea of wearing a past uniform style that never should have been changed is a great one.  But that uniform should be the sharp home uniform, not the road uniform, and least of all the regrettable powder blue version.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Those were their designated home uniforms the entire season.

No, they had to request it, the navy and old gold were still the primaries that year. 

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/1/20/18191064/los-angeles-rams-to-wear-throwbacks-in-superbowl-53-nfl-2019

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rams-confirm-theyll-wear-blue-yellow-throwbacks-super-bowl-liii-033935728.html

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

57 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

No, they were the primary home uniforms that year. They wore those throwbacks as the home uniform and the previous white uniforms but with white horns as the road uniform. They also had the yellow Color Rush. 2018_LARams.png

• Like 3

Easily the best uniform in Philly’s set, so I’m not complaining if they win big in those, but I am annoyed that they never wear powder blue on the road. 

Astros should be in Tequila Sunrise too, but thats a different story. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

The first year they wore the Powder blue as throwbacks at home, it did bug me.

But not that its been a couple seasons I am fine with it.

Also while I love the gray version, it makes alot more sense to have the equally great powder blue ones as throwbacks as I am sure the sales figures obviously is a high factor.

There is no valid argument in favor of all-powder blue uniforms.

Baseball pants should never be anything other than a neutral color like white or gray (the Padres' sand barely qualifies because it's an off-white) and all-color looks belong in softball.

I will not listen to any arguments to the contrary. The fact that there are teams in MLB that pair powder blue jerseys with white pants and don't look like the uniform equivalent of a shart is proof that the all-powder blue trend needs to die a second death and be relegated back into the history books where it belongs.

Rant over.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 8

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

16 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Schmidt-1989.png

I had the opposite reaction to the Phillies removal of powder blue in 1989. I was 13 and remember feeling as if the Phillies had made a notable shift toward bland. The gray didn’t look bad, it was just character-less when compared with the powder blue.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I had the opposite reaction to the Phillies removal of powder blue in 1989. I was 13 and remember feeling as if the Phillies had made a notable shift toward bland. The gray didn’t look bad, it was just character-less when compared with the powder blue.

I was basically the same age and had basically the same opinion.  

At that point I think they were the last team with the powder blue, and my thought was that now they looked like every other team in gray.  There's a lot of nostalgia for those uniforms, but honestly speaking just for myself and my friend group, at the time they were considered very boring and uninspired.  I think some of that had to do with 1) the cuts at the time, 2) that they were worn at the Vet and no uniform looked really good when worn there, and 3) it's the only uniform we ever knew so we were so used to it that on the rare occasion they had Nostalgia Day (now "throwback day") it was a huge deal.  

Now, looking back on it, I love the gray/maroon combo and look at the powder blue as gimmicky.  I don't think it should be worn at home, but it's also not something I get worked up about.

What I do get worked up about is that they're wearing a version that never actually existed.  The non-squiggle P didn't exist with buttons in the timeframe they're claiming to be honoring (early '80s).  They obviously can't go with zippers, so I'd prefer the full swirl-P be used with the unbroken racing stripe (add the missing piece to the belt tunnel.)  

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The powder blue of the throwbacks seems heavier and richer than the powder blue of the actual uniforms from the 70's and 80's. Maybe that's just old photographs, but I think it was more muted back then. 

usatsi_16764909.jpg

1336711074.jpeg

57890439fd3cf4a4cc2c8d0bc18f237e.jpg

(killer pose by the way)

3c0c3240-0c2c-11ed-aba5-c986c26eaa90

am I wrong? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

I see the "BASEBALL UNIFORMS AREN'T ALLOWED TO BE FUN" crowd is here.

Do not dare include me in that (imaginary) group.

I absolutely revel in baseball aesthetics. Indeed, I still pay attention to the uniforms, even though I haven't followed current events in baseball for more than a quarter century.

Seeing an ugly colour combination is not "fun", no more than listening to a poorly-tuned piano or drinking sour milk. 

There is exactly one case where a powder blue uniform looked good:

il_794xN.3345441197_5mji.jpg

And this wasn't even really the pukey shade used by the Phillies and so many others. Once the Royals' uniform went to pullovers/belted, it was one of the best in baseball, including the road look.

Every other team looked better when they ditched the powder blue in favour of grey; the most outstanding examples of this were the Phillies, the Cardinals, and the Blue Jays.

When the Twins brought out their new uniforms in 1987, it was so refreshing. They got rid not only of powder blue, but also of that sloppy wordmark and the incongruous TC cap logo. (In addition, the uniforms originally had no player names at home.) I felt like a page had been turned. "What a relief!", I thought. " We'll never see that mess again." Alas, every single one of those bad design elements has crept back in, and now the Twins look almost as bad as they did in 1986. It's a tragedy.

Anyway, the point is that fun is seeing a beautiful uniform: the Phillies and Blue Jays in 1989 (the Royals were the only team that got worse by converting the road uniforms to grey at that time); the Twins' dramatic improvement in 1987; the White Sox debuting their new 1991 set in late 1990; the Blue Jays' recent return to their traditional aesthetic; the Astros' introduction of their current set (minus the goofy alt jerseys). 

While I agree in principle with Kevin W. that pants ought to be white or grey, I can think of a couple of exceptions, both being the White Sox. I liked the Sox' mid-70s dark blue pants, in the set that was modelled on the 1906 uniforms. (The flaw in that set was that the shirt's collar didn't go all the way around.) And I also found myself really digging their all-black City Connect uniforms.

But, generally speaking, few things are more aesthetically pleasing than a game featuring the home team in white and the road team in grey, with each team showing its signature colours on its caps and socks, as in the beautiful picture of Dickie Thon in my earlier response.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png