MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

But they made the right choice in bringing back the TC logo. It’s a fantastic logo and fits well for the Twin Cities.

I shouldn't knock the TC logo in its entirety.  It looks great on the sleeve; that's where it should be.

1997 Marquette Banks Minnesota Twins 1987 10th Anniversary Baseball -  Gallery | Trading Card Database   1997 Marquette Bank Minnesota Twins 1987 10th Anniversary Baseball -  Gallery | Trading Card Database

But it doesn't belong on the cap.  This is partly because the appropriate initial on the cap is M, not TC (there was some original intent to call the team the Twin Cities Twins; but that name was not in fact used), but mainly because the M logo is so much more attractive a logo.

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Not sure if any one player has ever had a better uniform career than that dude [Tekulve].

Amazon.com: Reggie Jackson Oakland Athletics 8x10 Photo AAOV010 : Sports &  Outdoors  Jackson returns to Oakland to end career | Baseball Hall of Fame  Super 70s Sports on Twitter: "Give me one of your favorite “People forget  he played for that team” guys. I'll start us off with Baltimore Orioles  slugger Reggie Jackson. https://t.co/pUEUeevf1U" / Twitter

Former New York Yankee Reggie Jackson Joins All-Star Damn Yankees Concert |  Playbill  Los Angeles Angels on Twitter: "On this day in 1984, Reggie Jackson hit  career home run No. 500 off Kansas City's Bud Black at Anaheim Stadium.  https://t.co/Wk0mgMjYwr" / Twitter  Tough, yet gracious Reggie Jackson turns 70

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

The actual shirt for the Rockies uniforms and mimicking the license plate is a cool idea. It's just I cannot get past dark colored pants.

They look good with white pants. 

15C7FAF8_31BB_482D_91BD_A10DBC2A0587.jpe

I am actively trying to get used to dark color baseball pants because it feels like they're not going anywhere and I just cannot get used to them. 

See it more as 1910's fashion coming back.

1629321756-880013-cws1014-happy-felsch-1

• Like 3

On 6/11/2022 at 2:40 PM, the admiral said:

Why don't you just apply that treatment to the backs for the Los Dodgers, Jesus Christ

I'd added this to the multiquote months ago.  Then life got in the way.  So it's months and dozens of pages later and it seems trivial now.  But I know that every time I see those crappy Dodgers uniforms I'm going to think of this and regret not saying anything.  So, screw it. 

Dunno if this was meant to be a joke or not, but to make sure it's widely known, the original message was referring to the weird pattern on the sleeves that looks like sweat, nothing more nefarious.

5 hours ago, Sport said:

My problem with the Phillies powder blues is that it wasn't a home uniform, but they wear that throwback exclusively at home. The actual home uniform from those days was a nice look itself and I would've been less cranky about wearing it in the world series last night because it spiritually does the same thing as their regular pinstriped home uniform.

I get why they wear the powder blues at home (because it's more visibly throwback and more divergent from their current home/road look than the home pinstripes were), but I don't like this revisionism that the throwback gear in tees, hoodies, hats, etc tends to push in that the Phillies colors back then were a burgundy and powder blue team. The colors were burgundy and white and they wore powder blue on the road. It's a bit like saying gray is an official team color of the Phillies now. 

This is the rub when it comes to these uniforms.  Throwbacks are made to appeal to the fanbase.  Your fanbase wants to watch the team play in them.  But the powder blues, an iconic memory of the past, were largely a replacement for the road greys.  So what do you do when the fanbase loves a road uniform?  Do you make it the road uniform and ensure that 90% of your fans going to see the team can never see them in it?

It's... a dilemma.  I don't know the answer.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 hours ago, AnPheitseog said:

My general rule of thumb is that baseball pants should be a colour that functions as white or grey. The sand functions as grey in my eyes, even though it isnt.

I also like the NPB practice of white pants and a dark top on the road, even if i wouldnt like to see it in MLB.

When did MLB start banning teams from wearing white pants on the road (as I've heard a few times over the years is the case)?  The Cubs did the colored jersey/white pants thing through 1989, and some others (especially the A's) used to always wear the same type of white pants at home and on the road.

Also, for what it's worth, watching the game last night, I asked my wife, who's very much into fashion and properly-matched outfits (I always defer to her when going clothing shopping), what she thought of the powder blue Phillies against the orange/grey Astros.  Interestingly, she said the only thing she'd fix is having the Astros in navy pants.

I LOVE powder blue. It's my favorite color. From as light as North Carolina to as dark as the Panthers, but powder blue wasn't anybody's team color back then. Some time in the 70s gray fabrics started having this blue tint to them (don't think it was on purpose originally) and by the 80s it was full on powder and most teams road jersey color, so basically acted as a gray jersey.

But at the end of the day IDC and am still a sucker for it and buy the merchandise.

That said there is a bit of an over saturation of it. Like I don't think the Rangers need/belong in powder blue uniforms. And I don't need the Braves or Cubs bringing them back unless it's a one time deal.

Wasn't alive back then, so maybe it's just because these teams were successful in the 80s so I'm used to seeing highlights, but when I think "throwback" and "powder blue" I immediately think of the Royals, Cardinals and Phillies. I love it on the Blue Jays too. And am sort of "ahh I'll allow it" with the Twins and to a lesser extent, Brewers. But that's pretty much it. (I'd add the Expos to this list if they still existed.)

*(Not counting the Rays as they came after the fact and made it an actual team color).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

I LOVE powder blue. It's my favorite color. From as light as North Carolina to as dark as the Panthers, but powder blue wasn't anybody's team color back then. Some time in the 70s gray fabrics started having this blue tint to them (don't think it was on purpose originally) and by the 80s it was full on powder and most teams road jersey color, so basically acted as a gray jersey.

But at the end of the day IDC and am still a sucker for it and buy the merchandise.

That said there is a bit of an over saturation of it. Like I don't think the Rangers need/belong in powder blue uniforms. And I don't need the Braves or Cubs bringing them back unless it's a one time deal.

Wasn't alive back then, so maybe it's just because these teams were successful in the 80s so I'm used to seeing highlights, but when I think "throwback" and "powder blue" I immediately think of the Royals, Cardinals and Phillies. I love it on the Blue Jays too. And am sort of "ahh I'll allow it" with the Twins and to a lesser extent, Brewers. But that's pretty much it. (I'd add the Expos to this list if they still existed.)

*(Not counting the Rays as they came after the fact and made it an actual team color).

That right there is some revisionist history. 

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

19 hours ago, Sport said:

Was that intentional or the result of their ability or lack thereof to consistently reproduce a color? Seems like the Phillies had a hard time in that era finding a consistent shade of burgundy across all their gear.

merlin_151802703_64cd9ef2-b387-44bc-8bf2

0378b64ca711a2c365a65268268d04a9--philad

But also willing to accept that photos can distort how colors actually looked. 

I still love the classic home pinstripe Phillies jerseys with the retro "P" , even the gray away jerseys that came out in the mid-lates 80s until 92.

I may be in the minority...I LOVE the all maroon "Saturday Night Special" worn in 1979...then dropped like a bad habit real fast. Team hated it, and lost in a miserable game to the Expos. 

It was brought back again in 2019 for one night, Braves kicked the Phillies butts in that one.
I don't know if the team will ever wear these again.

spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 1

º º º º

gYFfCIp.pngPtJSay1.png

3 hours ago, UncleJunior said:

I still love the classic home pinstripe Phillies jerseys with the retro "P" , even the gray away jerseys that came out in the mid-lates 80s until 92.

I may be in the minority...I LOVE the all maroon "Saturday Night Special" worn in 1979...then dropped like a bad habit real fast. Team hated it, and lost in a miserable game to the Expos. 

It was brought back again in 2019 for one night, Braves kicked the Phillies butts in that one.
I don't know if the team will ever wear these again.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Modern version looks way better than the original. Don't see that too often

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Modern version looks way better than the original. Don't see that too often

In what way?  As far as throwbacks go, it's basically identical to the original.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I shouldn't knock the TC logo in its entirety.  It looks great on the sleeve; that's where it should be.

1997 Marquette Banks Minnesota Twins 1987 10th Anniversary Baseball -  Gallery | Trading Card Database   1997 Marquette Bank Minnesota Twins 1987 10th Anniversary Baseball -  Gallery | Trading Card Database

But it doesn't belong on the cap.  This is partly because the appropriate initial on the cap is M, not TC (there was some original intent to call the team the Twin Cities Twins; but that name was not in fact used), but mainly because the M logo is so much more attractive a logo.

Amazon.com: Reggie Jackson Oakland Athletics 8x10 Photo AAOV010 : Sports &  Outdoors  Jackson returns to Oakland to end career | Baseball Hall of Fame  Super 70s Sports on Twitter: "Give me one of your favorite “People forget  he played for that team” guys. I'll start us off with Baltimore Orioles  slugger Reggie Jackson. https://t.co/pUEUeevf1U" / Twitter

Former New York Yankee Reggie Jackson Joins All-Star Damn Yankees Concert |  Playbill  Los Angeles Angels on Twitter: "On this day in 1984, Reggie Jackson hit  career home run No. 500 off Kansas City's Bud Black at Anaheim Stadium.  https://t.co/Wk0mgMjYwr" / Twitter  Tough, yet gracious Reggie Jackson turns 70

All Reggie’s uniforms were good, but the Angels one gives me pause, due simply to the international incident of which he was in the middle during his time with the team. Albeit under hypnosis, he would have assassinated a visiting world leader had it not been for that terrible opera singer who disguised himself as an umpire to foil the plot. I’m amazed it isn’t talked about more in the media, frankly. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

10 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

All Reggie’s uniforms were good, but the Angels one gives me pause, due simply to the international incident of which he was in the middle during his time with the team. Albeit under hypnosis, he would have assassinated a visiting world leader had it not been for that terrible opera singer who disguised himself as an umpire to foil the plot. I’m amazed it isn’t talked about more in the media, frankly. 

Well played, my good man.

• Love 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png