MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

13 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I'm starting to think that Nike wants to do away with gray jerseys on the road. I don't hate the idea but I also don't like it either.  It's conflicting.

Nike or the clubs themselves?

Remember teams have the final say in that discussion.

We saw this happen in the 70's and 80's too with teams like the Padres, Braves, Cubs, Rangers, Mets, Indians, Giants, Pirates, A's, White Sox all eschewing traditional road greys at some point. Not including the powder blue revolution.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Nike or the clubs themselves?

Remember teams have the final say in that discussion.

We saw this happen in the 70's and 80's too with teams like the Padres, Braves, Cubs, Rangers, Mets, Indians, Giants, Pirates, A's, White Sox all eschewing traditional road greys at some point. Not including the powder blue revolution.

Nike puts all these ideas into teams heads and it's up to the teams. There's no doubt in my mind that they  influence teams into making a decision.

"We're not saying you should do it but..."

bSLCtu2.png

16 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Well, the Yankee's, Cardinals, Dodgers, Tigers and a couple others I don't ever expect would adopt a color top as their road jersey.

Right I think some more classic brands should easily stay gray. But like I think the Padres sand roads are excellent, and there's a few teams who could replace their road grays with the powder blue.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Nike puts all these ideas into teams heads and it's up to the teams. There's no doubt in my mind that they  influence teams into making a decision.

"We're not saying you should do it but..."

Plus, how much is the league influencing teams to go with what Nike suggests?

1 hour ago, darthjocan said:

Right I think some more classic brands should easily stay gray. But like I think the Padres sand roads are excellent, and there's a few teams who could replace their road grays with the powder blue.

Agreed - but I think there's a big difference between sand, powder blue, and then 'non-light' away jerseys such as blue, red, navy, black...

I like the aesthetic of grey on the road. Non-grey that isn't powder blue or sand strikes me as lower level where teams only have one jersey.

Yes, I'm old. I might need to use that line often. I also recognize that other people will disagree with my opinion. You aren't wrong to disagree, but I'm not wrong to not like it:-)

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

On 5/16/2022 at 2:25 AM, Old School Fool said:

I'm starting to think that Nike wants to do away with gray jerseys on the road. I don't hate the idea but I also don't like it either.  It's conflicting.

Depends on the team. I would never want road grays to go away entirely, but I absolutely feel teams like the Royals, Brewers and Blue Jays should adopt powder blue away sets full-time, and I’d love if more teams followed the Padres’ lead and experimented with different tints on their road unis. 

I also 100% believe the City Connect program is Nike’s way of testing the waters to see how fans respond to their teams wearing monochrome uniforms regularly.

• Like 4

This may sound sacrilegious in these parts, but I am a big fan of the experimenting Nike is getting into with the City Connect -- especially the idea of monochrome uniforms and/or shifting into new tints for clash uniforms, like the sand of the D-Backs. 

I am a traditionalist with most of baseball, but I've always found the uniform aspect quite boring. Seems like nothing is really warranted but white and grey tops, simple piping, standardized wordmark and logo placement and monograms on caps. 

Baseball has always had room to get more interesting uniform wise. Definitely did in the 70s and 80s, but with the ballparks reverting back to classic style so did nearly every team that had thought outside the box. 

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

This may sound sacrilegious in these parts, but I am a big fan of the experimenting Nike is getting into with the City Connect -- especially the idea of monochrome uniforms and/or shifting into new tints for clash uniforms, like the sand of the D-Backs. 

I am a traditionalist with most of baseball, but I've always found the uniform aspect quite boring. Seems like nothing is really warranted but white and grey tops, simple piping, standardized wordmark and logo placement and monograms on caps. 

Baseball has always had room to get more interesting uniform wise. Definitely did in the 70s and 80s, but with the ballparks reverting back to classic style so did nearly every team that had thought outside the box. 

Also it really depends on what you consider to be "traditionalist."

In my opinion:

this...

Cubs_Team.0.jpg

is actually more traditional (more in line with the unwritten rules of baseball design), that this...

2069951_original.jpg?1300303155

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Also it really depends on what you consider to be "traditionalist."

In my opinion:

this...

Cubs_Team.0.jpg

is actually more traditional (more in line with the unwritten rules of baseball design), that this...

2069951_original.jpg?1300303155

Hmm - why do you think so? I'm genuinely curious..

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

I've been a proponent of colored tops being road jerseys ever since I discovered that's how some NPB teams do it. Teams like the Orioles, A's, Rays, Marlins, Padres, and plenty more should absolutely be using colored tops as their primary road uniform. More classic teams, like the Yankees or Dodgers. shouldn't. In my perfect world, colored road jerseys would be paired with white pants, but that's dependent on the home team wearing all-white jerseys which will never happen. More color in baseball is a good thing!

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

There's some teams with unique colors who could give us some awesome monochrome roads: 

Marlins in black caps with teal jerseys and pants? Or even Marlins with a new caliente red top. 

That's one team and that's infinitely more interesting than them wearing those drab black and grey roads they currently have.

41 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Hmm - why do you think so? I'm genuinely curious..

The Cubs City Connect has the traditional template with the undershirt, socks, belts, and (frequently) cleats all the same color. It uses one type of solid soutache on the sleeve cuffs and pants on a traditional button-down jersey with a roundel stye-sleeve patch. The socks even have classic Northwestern stripes.

The old California Angels have, to my eyes, piping of three different widths between the collar, sleeve cuff, and pant leg. They have blue sleeves/belts with red stirrups/cleats. They've used pull over style collar piping on a button down jersey, which has forced the manufacturer to adjust the seam line in the placket to compensate.

If the Cubs uniform was white with navy blue lettering and everything else stayed the same, you might call conventional.

Another small detail is that the Cubs uniform has space on the sleeve between the soutache and the undershirt (which are the same color) so the former doesn't just fade into the latter like it does for the Angels (its hard to spot where the jersey sleeve ends and the undershirt begins).

• Like 3

On 5/4/2022 at 6:19 PM, adsarebad said:

What if the Mets black jersey had blue pinstripes!? 🤔

lots of dislikes..... but why not, since the white jersey have them!?

can anyone skilled  make a photoshop to see how it would look?

52 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The Cubs City Connect has the traditional template with the undershirt, socks, belts, and (frequently) cleats all the same color. It uses one type of solid soutache on the sleeve cuffs and pants on a traditional button-down jersey with a roundel stye-sleeve patch. The socks even have classic Northwestern stripes.

The old California Angels have, to my eyes, piping of three different widths between the collar, sleeve cuff, and pant leg. They have blue sleeves/belts with red stirrups/cleats. They've used pull over style collar piping on a button down jersey, which has forced the manufacturer to adjust the seam line in the placket to compensate.

If the Cubs uniform was white with navy blue lettering and everything else stayed the same, you might call conventional.

Another small detail is that the Cubs uniform has space on the sleeve between the soutache and the undershirt (which are the same color) so the former doesn't just fade into the latter like it does for the Angels (its hard to spot where the jersey sleeve ends and the undershirt begins).

Thanks. It's where I assumed you would go, and I don't disagree with the assessment (you make your points really well, by the way). I just have a hard time accepting dark jerseys as the norm.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Depends on the team. I would never want road grays to go away entirely, but I absolutely feel teams like the Royals, Brewers and Blue Jays should adopt powder blue away sets full-time, and I’d love if more teams followed the Padres’ lead and experimented with different tints on their road unis. 

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I don't understand the desire to have teams with no powder blue in their colour scheme to dress in head to toe powder blue on the road. It was a gimmick for networks to show off their new colour broadcasts in the '70s.

If the Rays want to do it, that's fine, since it is one of their colours, but it doesn't make sense for royal and/or navy blue teams. The Blue Jays grey uniforms might be my favourite in the set.

• Like 2
  • Love 1