MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I don't understand the desire to have teams with no powder blue in their colour scheme to dress in head to toe powder blue on the road. It was a gimmick for networks to show off their new colour broadcasts in the '70s.

If the Rays want to do it, that's fine, since it is one of their colours, but it doesn't make sense for royal and/or navy blue teams. The Blue Jays grey uniforms might be my favourite in the set.

I'm normally a fan of powder blue, but I'm meh on Toronto's current uni. I won't say they shouldn't wear powder blue when they were around for over a decade before even having a gray uniform, but they really came of age as a franchise after the Skydome and the World Series titles. So gray is what I free associate them with.

But the Brewers had what might have been the longest run with powder blue in all of MLB. They played their first 15 seasons before finally switching to gray. Even back then, I felt like they lost part of their identity when they did, even if their colors do look good with gray.

Skip ahead to 1:16 to see what I mean. This commercial is from right around when they switched (1985 or so) and it contains video of them wearing powder blue and gray. To me they just look more dynamic in powder blue. 

8 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Thanks. It's where I assumed you would go, and I don't disagree with the assessment (you make your points really well, by the way). I just have a hard time accepting dark jerseys as the norm.

Which I understand. 

This is my particular point of view. Part of it is my interest in pre-WWII uniforms and part of it is that I've been doing concepts with monochrome schemes for 7 years, so my eyes are probably more accustomed to that look than most.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 3:25 AM, Old School Fool said:

I'm starting to think that Nike wants to do away with gray jerseys on the road. I don't hate the idea but I also don't like it either.  It's conflicting.

If they do that for the Cubs, I will have no complaints, considering that the Cubs probably have the worst grey getup in the majors...their blue alts are infinitely many times better.

rAUPGPZ.png

51 minutes ago, GrayJ12 said:

If they do that for the Cubs, I will have no complaints, considering that the Cubs probably have the worst grey getup in the majors...their blue alts are infinitely many times better.

The current roads aren't terrible, just it rather boggles my mind the Cubs haven't gone back to this 

Chicago Cubs on Twitter: "Happy birthday to Mr. Cub Ernie Banks!  http://t.co/QapG3q4cXt" / Twitter

(or even a look that's similar to the 1990-93 road unis as I kinda liked them)

• Like 14

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

Doesn't sound completely impossible. The Cubs did wear blue on the road exclusively back in the 80's.

andre-dawson-of-the-chicago-cubs-circa-1

3008250.jpg

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

powder blue does not work for all teams, but i think it does for St. Louis, and i didn't think it would!

Light blue and red does not sound nice together,  but the red birds on the blue jersey does look nice.

Perhaps that is because that is how you like to see birds, on a light blue sky background!?

1 hour ago, adsarebad said:

powder blue does not work for all teams, but i think it does for St. Louis, and i didn't think it would!

Light blue and red does not sound nice together,  but the red birds on the blue jersey does look nice.

Perhaps that is because that is how you like to see birds, on a light blue sky background!?

agreed! I think The Cardinals work very well with it.

I’m biased, but I am back and forth on if the Twins belong in powder blue. Based on their history I’d say yes, and how nicely it works with their look.

• Like 1

Was hoping to see more leaks of the 'Brew Crew' jerseys (despite being a Boston/Chicago guy), but came across this shirt on Dick's while looking for some more city gear to add to the collection.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonnaroo42 said:

Was hoping to see more leaks of the 'Brew Crew' jerseys (despite being a Boston/Chicago guy), but came across this shirt on Dick's while looking for some more city gear to add to the collection.

spacer.png

That's just a Nike retail shirt. Not related to City Connect. 

3 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Of all the teams that hopped on the powder blue trend that shouldn't have, the Cardinals were the most egregious. It wasn't a bad look per se, but I feel like the original 8 in each league should be held to traditional uniform standards the most. Of all the original clubs that went powder blue, the Cardinals had the most history. 

Arizona is a good candidate for dropping their grey road jersey. Assuming the Serpientes jersey doesn't remain in their wardrobe into the distant future, they could use a tan jersey with the current Arizona script. Only issue is having the only two tan/sand jerseys in the same division

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fortunat1 said:

Arizona is a good candidate for dropping their grey road jersey. Assuming the Serpientes jersey doesn't remain in their wardrobe into the distant future, they could use a tan jersey with the current Arizona script. Only issue is having the only two tan/sand jerseys in the same division

Plus the giants wearing cream at home

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

Of all the teams that hopped on the powder blue trend that shouldn't have, the Cardinals were the most egregious. It wasn't a bad look per se, but I feel like the original 8 in each league should be held to traditional uniform standards the most. Of all the original clubs that went powder blue, the Cardinals had the most history. 

Which trend are you speaking of? The 1970s sansabelt polyester pullover era or the more recent modern embrace/reintroduction of powder blue? At this point, because the Cardinals are one of the teams that switched to powder blue road uniforms so effectively in the '70s, I don't feel that the color is at all misplaced within their brand. 

Now, I might have thought differently when it was introduced in the '70s, but as of today it feels natural. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

Not really considering they will never play eachother white both wearing the tan uniforms

• Like 1

Someone posted on Twitter a picture that supposedly shows the top of the Angels' City Connect batting helmet, and it only shows a red helmet with white panel. Can't see the front logo in the picture, so I don't know how authentic it is, and thus I'm not going to link it here. 

Didn't anticipate the team going with white panel hats for City Connect, but we'll see. 

On 5/15/2022 at 1:16 PM, coco1997 said:

Rays apparently dropping their gray road jersey next year. Wonder if this means if we’ll get Columbia blue pants to go with the jersey as their new road look?

I would hope the light blue jerseys get light blue pants at least for road games.  The combo of light blue and gray during spring training always looked muddy to me.

GettyImages-1306728589.jpg

• Like 5