MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

Quick question - how original were the 1996 jerseys to MLS? They were all Nike creations, correct? Did Nike actually make ten unique uniform designs or were some of the designs used by clubs in Europe, South America, etc? Did Nike have a big footprint in soccer back then? Adidas gets ripped on for being lazy using templates used around the globe and shoehorning the MLS identities into them, but the cost of producing a (relatively) minor run of 28-32 unique designs, plus thirds, must be astounding.

Also, that LA Galaxy leak is pretty tremendous if real...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, schlim said:

how original were the 1996 jerseys to MLS? They were all Nike creations, correct?

They weren't all Nike; for example, DC United was Adidas.

1996unveil.jpeg?CLp5Le8jTlktVMXASWjNNccG

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Thanks for pointing that out! I guess I forgot the mid nineties were still when sports leagues hadn't started to sign league wide apparel contracts. I guess I always heard the stories about Nike helping name the teams that even went to 98 expansion team Chicago nearly called the Rhythm with a snake logo or something. I just can't picture Liverpool or Manchester United in a Clash template.

edit: Turns out Nike only did half the league.

That Galaxy away shirt is really nice. Not only is it a pretty good reinterpretation of their ‘97 shirt, but it’s also the best and most distinctive away shirt they’ve had since their rebrand to the navy and gold. It’s also another example of how, if nothing else, Adidas can execute retro-inspired kits pretty successfully:

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

20 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

That Galaxy away shirt is really nice. Not only is it a pretty good reinterpretation of their ‘97 shirt, but it’s also the best and most distinctive away shirt they’ve had since their rebrand to the navy and gold. It’s also another example of how, if nothing else, Adidas can execute retro-inspired kits pretty successfully:

Yet they don't use designs they've created for the league.😑

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 hours ago, schlim said:

Quick question - how original were the 1996 jerseys to MLS? They were all Nike creations, correct? Did Nike actually make ten unique uniform designs or were some of the designs used by clubs in Europe, South America, etc? Did Nike have a big footprint in soccer back then? Adidas gets ripped on for being lazy using templates used around the globe and shoehorning the MLS identities into them, but the cost of producing a (relatively) minor run of 28-32 unique designs, plus thirds, must be astounding.

Also, that LA Galaxy leak is pretty tremendous if real...

The particular strain of strangeness was pretty exclusive to MLS, and not just Nike -- see also those wacky Revs confetti kits by Reebok, and those Wizards gems were Adidas. Of course Europe had its own bizarro 90s kits, just not quite as flamboyant as MLS had.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

16 hours ago, schlim said:

Quick question - how original were the 1996 jerseys to MLS? They were all Nike creations, correct?

There were four kit manufacturers for Major League Soccer's inaugural season - adidas, Nike, Puma, and Reebok. The breakdown of teams  by manufacturer was: 

adidas
Columbus Crew
D.C. United
Kansas City Wizards

Nike
Dallas Burn
Los Angeles Galaxy
New York/New Jersey MetroStars
San Jose Clash
Tampa Bay Mutiny

Puma
Colorado Rapids

Reebok
New England Revolution

EttG5WVXYAIxQo2?format=jpg&name=large EttG5WoXYAAij8y?format=jpg&name=large

Knocked it way out of the park. This is what everyone should have been doing LAST year, I think, instead of rationalizing that arbitrary shoulder stripe template as something special. It's a bit odd now that neither Galaxy kit has navy and gold, but that's the fault of their terrible home kit.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Digby said:

EttG5WVXYAIxQo2?format=jpg&name=large EttG5WoXYAAij8y?format=jpg&name=large

Knocked it way out of the park. This is what everyone should have been doing LAST year, I think, instead of rationalizing that arbitrary shoulder stripe template as something special. It's a bit odd now that neither Galaxy kit has navy and gold, but that's the fault of their terrible home kit.

I hate that I like anything the Galaxy does, but this is fantastic!

On 2/7/2021 at 9:15 AM, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I so wish the Heritage Away kits had the light blue shorts instead of the plain white ones. It would of been so much better.

Archived