MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't think the issue is that the icons don't represent Austin. It's just that they're not particularly clever. 

None of them are unique to Austin. 

“Music!”  “Food trucks!”  “Mexican people!”

Very few American cities can’t be described in those broad strokes.  

The Capitol dome is the only thing that is even vaguely unique to the city, and even that rough silhouette could easily be confused for one of the other thirty-nine domed capitols. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think NYCFC and the other light-at-home teams would be excluded for obvious reasons. The interesting bit would be teams like Portland, Dallas, Colorado, New England — lots of teams who would logically wear white on the road by traditional American models, but had weird, differently colored away standards up until the last kit cycle or two. It seems reasonable to wonder about a wider mandate - maybe for economic reasons but also, to be honest, there were some rough kit clashes in mid 2010s MLS games.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I find it vaguely funny that the focus of criticism now is on the interior neckline of the kit, something no one will ever see unless they own one. Just, I don't know, feels a little bit silly that that is the level to which we are criticizing a piece of clothing. Opinions, opinions, opinions, opinions. Opinions on the smallest detail, for you and for all.

spacer.png

20 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Welp, this is disappointing:

spacer.png 

This is my least favorite shirt template of all time. Beyond awful. MLS should have called it a one-off anniversary thing.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

11 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

I find it vaguely funny that the focus of criticism now is on the interior neckline of the kit, something no one will ever see unless they own one. Just, I don't know, feels a little bit silly that that is the level to which we are criticizing a piece of clothing. Opinions, opinions, opinions, opinions. Opinions on the smallest detail, for you and for all.

I get it, man. From the comments here, you'd think we were on a message board devoted to discussing the finer details of sports uniforms. Crazy.  

16 minutes ago, insert name said:

2 whole pages on nothing but little icons inside a shirt no one will see when being worn is just another day here. 

Don't forget the plain white shirt using a design that was only supposed to be used for one year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I get the hate for "another white MLS kit" but I don't get the hate on the Austin kit specifically. They have a green/black home kit so their options are somwehat limited for an away. Yes the template isn't the best, but its a pretty sharp looking away kit IMO. With the way they green pops, you don't need much detail. They got BOTH sponsors in green to match and the MLS logo too. If they pair this with green shorts it can be a really classy and unique look.

As for the neckline, I don't care much. It's never going to be seen. It's just a marketing tactic.

38 minutes ago, insert name said:

2 whole pages on nothing but little icons inside a shirt no one will see when being worn is just another day here. 

But this is IMPORTANT!! :)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

34 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

I get the hate for "another white MLS kit" but I don't get the hate on the Austin kit specifically. They have a green/black home kit so their options are somwehat limited for an away. Yes the template isn't the best, but its a pretty sharp looking away kit IMO. With the way they green pops, you don't need much detail. They got BOTH sponsors in green to match and the MLS logo too. If they pair this with green shorts it can be a really classy and unique look.

As for the neckline, I don't care much. It's never going to be seen. It's just a marketing tactic.

It’s just too plain, especially since they had pretty much the full 18-24 month lead time to design their inaugural kits (unlike Minnesota and Cincy, and even Chicago last year). I don’t really have a problem with it being white since it is their inaugural secondary, but it just needs something other than the green logos and three stripes. The green pops off of the white, but there isn’t enough of it. Hell, even green cuffs would’ve bumped it up a little bit. And if it were me I would’ve at least added something like tonal hoops, vertical stripes, or pinstripes to give it a bit more visual interest. As it is, it just seems like they mailed it in (which, frankly, maybe they did since they have a new secondary coming out next year).

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

I get the hate for "another white MLS kit" but I don't get the hate on the Austin kit specifically. They have a green/black home kit so their options are somwehat limited for an away.

Why are they limited to those colors?

Stepping outside the regular color palette is very much a thing in the sport.  Even in MLS, and even for an inaugural season one-off.

2000x1000_2018_kit_launch_infographic_v2header3.jpg?GUeeGBN3hlLP.ronTNp5QnD5k5vP

Transamerica.0.jpegnew-york-red-bulls-2016-adids-away-jersejpegsecondary-jerseygraphicjpg-203e8ccbf2524

NYCFCRevealed-infographic-away2.jpg

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Stepping outside the regular color palette is very much a thing in the sport.  Even in MLS, and even for an inaugural season one-off.

NYCFCRevealed-infographic-away2.jpg

That NYCFC Away was pretty dang sharp!

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I get it, man. From the comments here, you'd think we were on a message board devoted to discussing the finer details of sports uniforms. Crazy.  

Almost like people saying sports teams betray them and the identity of their city because of a piece of clothing. I think everyone is taking some of this stuff far too seriously, is my point. Crazy that people can do that, right?

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, pluggerplugger1 said:
Interesting tweet from Philadelphia. Thinking this has to relate to their new 2021 kit and not a color change to their crest, as they just did that three years ago.

Hopefully that’s a sign that their new secondary kit is in the yellow/light blue colors of the Philadelphia flag. It’d be a long time coming, if that is indeed what this is alluding to. I believe @Digbymade a couple Union concepts with that color scheme a few years ago, and they were fantastic.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

This should be the standard for away kits, not “plain white shirts with few accents.” This method would also help get the third kit program back into high gear.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Hopefully that’s a sign that their new secondary kit is in the yellow/light blue colors of the Philadelphia flag. It’d be a long time coming, if that is indeed what this is alluding to. I believe @Digbymade a couple Union concepts with that color scheme a few years ago, and they were fantastic.

holy moly, that's a throwback, haha. You're right though! I can't really take credit for the idea as it was Sons of Ben clamoring for a team, all those years ago, that put the idea in my head. The lightish blue/yellow stripes kit would be such a distinctive look, and it seems like it was always the obvious way to go (the navy/gold was always a mistake I think). Can't really do that now if you actually want any differentiation from the navy kit, unless maybe they take some liberties and really lighten up the flag's shade of blue. And light blue has become way overused leaguewide.

But! Even if you just take the MLS default white shirt and slap on these three stripes as a broad racing stripe down the front, you've got a winner.

spacer.png

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 1/27/2021 at 1:22 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Historic Sixth Street Mural - Austin, TX - Gino Barasa Photo | 6th Street  Austin, Texas

Utilizing something from this would make more sense. 

This is the mural version of the "and yes my wife bought me this shirt" shirt

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Almost like people saying sports teams betray them and the identity of their city because of a piece of clothing. I think everyone is taking some of this stuff far too seriously, is my point. Crazy that people can do that, right?

We could always just get worked up over the name of the kit instead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Archived