2021-22 NHL Regular Season

CS85

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Oh, don't kid yourself. You know why people are getting satisfaction out of this being the Blackhawks that they wouldn't get if it were, say, the Sharks, another team that employed the pedophile. Do you not know how online works? Are you new?

Yikes. Should have made this post from your dupe account, man. 

• Like 8

T1oYViW.png

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That's a sad end to his career, as I've said before, third-best ever to do it behind Bowman and Arbour. His players loved him. 

Boo f***ing hoo, the guy who covered up a sexual assault for a decade is finally getting his just desserts. Let’s all feel bad for him because he’s a winning coach.

• Like 5

Of course Bettman doesn't see the need to do anything further but would have a "meeting" with Quenneville should he seek to be reemployed in the league.  Be better than this Gary, the message you sent here does nothing.

• Like 3

Just now, tp49 said:

Of course Bettman doesn't see the need to do anything further but would have a "meeting" with Quenneville should he seek to be reemployed in the league.  Be better than this Gary, the message you sent here does nothing.

I mean, it's effectively a blackball. Nobody's going to take the PR risk on Q after all of this, not with other managerial :censored:ups still fresh in people's minds and social media alertness to this kind of thing at an all-time high.

16 minutes ago, tp49 said:

That's what the league did with Bowman. I don't think you can say the message does nothing when it's essentially blacklisting without officially blacklisting. It's not just a "meeting" with Bettman, it's where they will have to essentially get reinstated by the league in order to get another job and it remains to be seen if any team will try to take the PR hit on any of these guys just to take a gamble on if the NHL lets them back in.

Elliotte Friedman was on Sportnet after the Bowman part and explained it as such. He also said that the NCAA, not that they are any standard of good behavior, has the same sort of practice in place (I forgot what the name of the NCAA's process is called, he mentioned it on air).

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

4 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I don't think you can say the message does nothing when it's essentially blacklisting without officially blacklisting.

It seems weak when Adam Silver just straight up banned Donald Sterling for life after his racist tirade. This comes off as a half-measure in comparison.

• Like 5

Quenneville is the only one I could see possibly returning but for the fact that he's close enough to retirement age to call it a career. I think that's the end of Bowman and Cheveldayoff, as it should be. I don't like that Quenneville ignored it the way he did, but I understand it on a level that I can't afford the actual management.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It seems weak when Adam Silver just straight up banned Donald Sterling for life after his racist tirade. This comes off as a half-measure in comparison.

They probably crunched the numbers and realized they couldn't double the resale value of every hockey team like the Sterling ban did.

7 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Well, yeah in comparison to that scenario yes, but that's apples and oranges.

It's the next best thing to banning and given the specific circumstances of what happened in Chicago, I don't think the NHL was looking to wield the banhammer on anyone of the management names. Quenneville and Bowman et al. weren't the ones who said the racist tirade, so to speak, they just completely and absolutely mishandled the response to the racist tirade. If Aldrich was still employed by the NHL at this time, I would think he would be banned.

IbjBaeE.png

I would guess that the next steps by the end of next week will be literally striking the entire 2010 Blackhawks from the Stanley Cup, the executives from 2013 and 2015 as well, formal disacknowledgment of at least one of the championships in the record books, indefinite Toews/Kane suspensions (they're the only ones left), and forcing the retirement of the Indian Head. I wouldn't sweat half-measures. We pretend the Bobcats are the Hornets, anyone can do anything, it's a brave new world. 

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I would guess that the next steps by the end of next week will be literally striking the entire 2010 Blackhawks from the Stanley Cup, the executives from 2013 and 2015 as well, formal disacknowledgment of at least one of the championships in the record books, indefinite Toews/Kane suspensions (they're the only ones left), and forcing the retirement of the Indian Head. I wouldn't sweat half-measures. We pretend the Bobcats are the Hornets, anyone can do anything, it's a brave new world. 

I don't know about all that (though given your posting in this thread, I don't know if I should really try to take you at face value here).

I don't know if the league will strike or disavow any of the championships because it was all off-ice, there was no on-ice competitive advantage gained from this (outside of whatever Quenneville was saying about "team chemistry"). I would think at least one name would be given the Basil Pocklington treatment though.

I also don't think the league has any standing to suspend Toews and Kane (or Keith or Ladd for that matter) because everything on them is hearsay and they weren't named in the report. They'll just be tried in the court of public opinion. It remains to be seen what the legacies of the championships and of Toews and Kane and Keith (Ladd seems to be in the clear here) will be going forward.

Retirement of the logo. No, not forced.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

3 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I don't know if the league will strike or disavow any of the championships because it was all off-ice, there was no on-ice competitive advantage gained from this (outside of whatever Quenneville was saying about "team chemistry"). I would think at least one name would be given the Basil Pocklington treatment though.

I don't even know whether Aldrich is on it. I know people criticized the Hawks in 2010 for including too much staff on the Cup. If he is, he shouldn't be anymore.

I also don't think the league has any standing to suspend Toews and Kane (or Keith or Ladd for that matter) because everything on them is hearsay and they weren't named in the report. They'll just be tried in the court of public opinion.

Toews and Kane gave interviews where they said they felt bad about everything and wished they could do more but still felt residual loyalty to Bowman and the organization. That might be enough. People are very mad at Toews right now. If I didn't know better, I'd think he raped a dude.

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't even know whether Aldrich is on it. I know people criticized the Hawks in 2010 for including too much staff on the Cup. If he is, he shouldn't be anymore.

He is.  I'd expect the team to put something out in the foreseeable future requesting Aldrich's name be removed from the cup.

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

He is. That's who I was referring to with Pocklington.

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Toews and Kane gave interviews where they said they felt bad about everything and wished they could do more but still felt residual loyalty to Bowman and the organization. That might be enough. People are very mad at Toews right now. If I didn't know better, I'd think he raped a dude.

Come on now.

• Like 5

IbjBaeE.png