2021-22 NHL Regular Season

CS85

The league shouldn't even wait for the go-ahead from the Hawks to remove his name.

7 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Come on now.

No, there's a real fever pitch right now, which, fine, I get, but I think people are putting too much blame on Toews and Kane (and Quenneville, to a lesser extent) and not enough on McDonough, Bowman, and Cheveldayoff. They were the ones who were derelict in their duties. The guys on the bench did have to go win a Stanley Cup. The office guys didn't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

36 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I would guess that the next steps by the end of next week will be literally striking the entire 2010 Blackhawks from the Stanley Cup, the executives from 2013 and 2015 as well, formal disacknowledgment of at least one of the championships in the record books, indefinite Toews/Kane suspensions (they're the only ones left), and forcing the retirement of the Indian Head. I wouldn't sweat half-measures. We pretend the Bobcats are the Hornets, anyone can do anything, it's a brave new world. 

spacer.png

Dude, you’re being melodramatic. Just consider a break from the internet and hockey fandom to re-center yourself. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No, there's a real fever pitch right now, which, fine, I get, but I think people are putting too much blame on Toews and Kane (and Quenneville, to a lesser extent) and not enough on McDonough, Bowman, and Cheveldayoff. They were the ones who were derelict in their duties. The guys on the bench did have to go win a Stanley Cup. The office guys didn't.

There's blame on Toews and Kane, especially on Captain Serious and his much reported on leadership qualities, for what happened after once it was known with the slurs and the bullying and the not doing anything about it.

I do agree that the players are less culpable in the original coverup, but the players played a part in what happened beyond that playoff run and being a prominent example of the larger issues of hockey culture.

• Like 4

IbjBaeE.png

Also, I find it funny that Sam Fels at Deadspin is a leading voice on this story, considering that when he did his gameday program for the Hawks, Beach was a frequent target of his ire for his general failure to make the NHL and to be a violent jerk along the way. In fact, he generally delighted in calling hockey players nothing but a bunch of functional illiterates and sexual degenerates, and Beach was the archetypal degenerate illiterate for him to mock. I wonder if he regrets that now. If he was as connected as he said he was, he probably would have laid off, but he didn't.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

That's a sad end to his career, as I've said before, third-best ever to do it behind Bowman and Arbour. His players loved him. 

At least the ones who weren't sexually assaulted on his watch.

• Like 9
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

37 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I do agree that the players are less culpable in the original coverup, but the players played a part in what happened beyond that playoff run and being a prominent example of the larger issues of hockey culture.

I don't know. There are way too many confounding variables once you get down to that level. All the accountability here rested with the executives. I know no one's head is in the right place in the wake of all this, self included, but maybe the mob will get a better idea of things with time.

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Were there any signals the Sabres would be worth a damn? Because every time I check scores they're whipping ass.

No. Not a single person believes in this team. Not even the Make-A-Wish kid that gets invited to practice. Their goalies are Craig Anderson and Dustin Tokarski. Their biggest off-season acquisition was probably Vinnie Hinostroza. The front office is a mess. The only encouraging sign was that they were slightly less awful under Don Granato last season... 9-16-3 as opposed to 6-18-4 with Ralph Krueger.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, monkeypower said:

There's blame on Toews and Kane, especially on Captain Serious and his much reported on leadership qualities, for what happened after once it was known with the slurs and the bullying and the not doing anything about it.

But if you are determining that this is part of a larger hockey culture then you really can't put the blame on individual players, because they have been shaped by this culture since they were kids. There definitely should be a degree of accountability, but it needs to be handled differently than the executives. Mandatory therapy/counselling would be a good start.

11 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I don't know about all that (though given your posting in this thread, I don't know if I should really try to take you at face value here).

I don't know if the league will strike or disavow any of the championships because it was all off-ice, there was no on-ice competitive advantage gained from this (outside of whatever Quenneville was saying about "team chemistry"). I would think at least one name would be given the Basil Pocklington treatment though.

I also don't think the league has any standing to suspend Toews and Kane (or Keith or Ladd for that matter) because everything on them is hearsay and they weren't named in the report. They'll just be tried in the court of public opinion. It remains to be seen what the legacies of the championships and of Toews and Kane and Keith (Ladd seems to be in the clear here) will be going forward.

Retirement of the logo. No, not forced.

When I first read this, I thought you meant the Panthers logo...since it looks like Quenneville...

(But I assume you meant the blackhawks logo :) )

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

11 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Were there any signals the Sabres would be worth a damn? Because every time I check scores they're whipping ass.

Every season there's a few teams who jump out to surprising starts, but teams aren't close to their final form right now. October and November are kind of the ramp up period and teams are gelling and figuring themselves out. The hockey season doesn't really start until December so I'd pump the brakes on Sabres excitement for now. Obviously you'd rather start hot than not, but a few years ago the Sabres were 17-6-2 and in first place in the entire NHL at the end of November. That team only won 16 games the rest of the season and missed the playoffs by 22 points. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 minutes ago, IceCap said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/cheveldayoff-nhl-1.6229885

Cheveldayoff is staying in Winnipeg. Ugh.

I imagine the meeting was simply them each removing their skin masks to reveal the lizard faces beneath, sharing an exchanged series of nods, hisses, and tongue flicks before re-masking and going about their days.

• Like 3
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

IIRC, Chevy was the lowest rung member in that meeting; talking out about it would've very likely gotten him canned and had a reputation spread around the OBC as insubordinate.

He had pretty much no power in the room then, unfortunate as it is. The Jenner & Block report implicates Q, Bowman and McDonough far more than Chevy.

• Like 1

Beach was a Rockford guy and never even played a game under Joel Quenneville. The black aces didn't even practice with him. Being management, I would argue that Cheveldayoff is closer to McDonough and Bowman in malfeasance than Quenneville was. He got off easy because he's not a big name.