USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

10 minutes ago, Sport said:

k77hu2td54v71.jpg

This might be unpopular, but I don't think there's anything worth salvaging from the original Gunslingers brand. 

I think the colors are salvageable, but that logo was outdated in 1984. 

18 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I'm not sure from your post whether you're suggesting that Colorado wore that look first.  In any case, the original Panthers jerseys had the same stripe pattern.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Fed-up CU Buffs fans plan powder-blue protest at Folsom – Colorado Daily

I believe Colorado was still wearing powder blue in 1983, and the stripes looked more like the Oakland Invaders than Michigan Panthers.

USFL (United States Football League)

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/18/2022 at 6:14 PM, TruColor said:

OT: All the Hex references here are making my head hurt.

The "source of truth" when it comes to colors, are the Pantone values. RGB/Hex and CMYK values are just simulations of the Pantone colors. They can change and/or diverge based on a lot of variables, including color profiles, color spaces, CIE-Lab measurements, etc. Personally, I've been getting a lot of questions about hex values lately which I find a bit odd. As soon as Pantone comes out with a new guide  that uses a different paper stock, all of the RGB/hex and CMYK values are going to change. Still, these are a good way to approximate colors, but they aren't the end all.

Question - would the hex value references on trucolor.net be accurate representations of what colors should be displayed on a computer screen [at least for comparison purposes]?  I realize Pantones are for printed papers, etc.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

39 minutes ago, EJ_Barlik said:

Question - would the hex value references on trucolor.net be accurate representations of what colors should be displayed on a computer screen [at least for comparison purposes]?  I realize Pantones are for printed papers, etc.

Probably not. I've done  mockups using old and current colors and the models appear off. Though part of that is the other levels used on each of them.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Has anybody seen (yet) good graphics of the USFL team primary and secondary logos??  I'm not getting very far on google search and other "regular methods".  Maybe they are too new?

And when I say good, I mean:

• non-jpg (I HATE .jpg with a passion for logos because of the blasted grainy-ness)
  • non-small (i.e., I define small as 800x800 or less, given today's 4K and higher monitors)

5 hours ago, Sport said:

k77hu2td54v71.jpg

This might be unpopular, but I don't think there's anything worth salvaging from the original Gunslingers brand. 

From the neck down, they're fine. Nice stripe consistency and color usage. The helmet is garbage, the logo is a joke, and the name cannot be used for any team or league seeking legitimate national exposure in 2022. We're a quarter-century removed from "Bullets" and several years from the Calgary Stampeders using crossed pistols as an alternate logo.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

First look at a Panthers jersey outside of an edited professional shoot:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

That really makes the Plum jersey stripes look like light blue, white, <space>, white, light blue instead of the "presumed" light blue, champagne, <space>, champagne, light blue.  Or maybe i

22 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

From the neck down, they're fine. Nice stripe consistency and color usage. The helmet is garbage, the logo is a joke, and the name cannot be used for any team or league seeking legitimate national exposure in 2022. We're a quarter-century removed from "Bullets" and several years from the Calgary Stampeders using crossed pistols as an alternate logo.

I do love the Gunslingers uniforms. I love the green, blue, and silver combo with white numbers and facemask! True the logo could use some work, but everything else is solid! I think that if/when the USFL wants to return to San Antonio, and I think they will given how much that city loved their Commanders, they can bring back the color scheme, but could change the name up. Simply going with "Slingers" might work, or some other wild west variation. Marshalls, Rangers, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, EJ_Barlik said:

That really makes the Plum jersey stripes look like light blue, white, <space>, white, light blue instead of the "presumed" light blue, champagne, <space>, champagne, light blue.  Or maybe i

It IS light blue-white-plum-white-light blue. No champagne on the jersey stripe.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:48 AM, ManillaToad said:

Doesn't seem too bad other than the helmet. Looks kinda like the Seahawks when they were in the AFC

On 2/22/2022 at 9:49 AM, MJWalker45 said:

I think the colors are salvageable, but that logo was outdated in 1984. 

23 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Here's what I don't like:

- The logo is hilarious and every detail is tiny. 

- With some exceptions across football I prefer the helmet to be either a lighter color like a metallic, a yellow, or white. If the helmet is going to be a dark color I prefer when it either matches the jersey color or is darker than the jersey color, like the Jaguars or the Ravens. Green lid on top of a blue jersey on top of gray pants on top of white socks is just a lot of different elements all at once.  

- The original Seahawks balanced the colors better.

- I think the Washington R******s template is one of the best football uniform templates ever designed, but those colors don't work with it and normally I love blue and green. I think blue and green is sort of a weird choice for that nickname and city. Is there some reason they used blue and green that I don't know about? Because the Dallas Mavericks also used it around that time. It doesn't feel very western or rustic to me. The colors the WLAF Riders wore feel more appropriate. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I love that Gunslingers uniform. That said, I can't defend it in any way, and I'd never try to tell you it's well designed. I guess to me it's like the Orlando Thunder and the California Golden Seals... A guilty pleasure.

I know what you mean. I also think it’s kind of a lost color palette in the pro sports landscape. Other than the Canucks, is there a major league team that uses royal blue and green as its primary colors any more? (Legitimate question; I may be overlooking something.)

Since the Seahawks, Mavericks and T-Wolves have largely abandoned those colors, it feels like an under-used palette.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Setting aside the fact that I aint heard Shea Patterson's name in a good minute...I want one of those, doggone it. That said, I ain't even finna try to justify the price of whatever they end up selling those for (unless it's in the $80ish range, in which case I might possibly consider thinking about potentially purchasing one).

On 2/22/2022 at 8:34 AM, Sport said:

k77hu2td54v71.jpg

Shoot, that'd be quite the awesome alternate look for my hometown's UWF West Florida Argonauts...

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

54 minutes ago, tBBP said:

That said, I ain't even finna try to justify the price of whatever they end up selling those for (unless it's in the $80ish range, in which case I might possibly consider thinking about potentially purchasing one).

USFL replicas are selling for $80 on their online shop. There's no actual pics of them though, just graphics, and they show some differences from the actual unveiled jerseys. So you may want to hold off until actual product photos start hitting.

• Like 3

Interestingly enough, Fox Sports has left a mack truck-sized hole in their website graphic security.  😇  Apparently, all the USFL "combo" logos can be had in 5000x5000 size in .PNG format (albeit not color optimized).

just insert the team's last name starting with a capital letter where I have "Team" (e.g., Stars, Panthers, Maulers, etc.)

https://b.fssta.com/uploads/application/usfl/team-logos/Team.vresize.5000.5000.medium.0.png 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, EJ_Barlik said:

Interestingly enough, Fox Sports has left a mack truck-sized hole in their website graphic security.  😇  Apparently, all the USFL "combo" logos can be had in 5000x5000 size in .PNG format (albeit not color optimized).

just insert the team's last name starting with a capital letter where I have "Team" (e.g., Stars, Panthers, Maulers, etc.)

https://b.fssta.com/uploads/application/usfl/team-logos/Team.vresize.5000.5000.medium.0.png 

All of the logos are up there as SVGs

• Love 2

11 minutes ago, TruColor said:

All of the logos are up there as SVGs

Figured that was the case.  I've not been able to re-size anything on the fly at websites where is wasn't an SVG.  But, it's still odd to me that the site ends them in .PNG.  I gotta believe that has something to do with the browser auto-changing it, or some javascript on their website auto-changing it.

I just wish they posted all the graphics (primaries, secondaries, tertiaries) up "somewhere" instead of just the "combo" logos.  Chalking it up to wishful/hopeful thinking at this point.

They'll show up soon enough.

Since you replied - do you get your color information from the SVGs, or from the teams directly?

2 hours ago, EJ_Barlik said:

Figured that was the case.  I've not been able to re-size anything on the fly at websites where is wasn't an SVG.  But, it's still odd to me that the site ends them in .PNG.  I gotta believe that has something to do with the browser auto-changing it, or some javascript on their website auto-changing it.

I just wish they posted all the graphics (primaries, secondaries, tertiaries) up "somewhere" instead of just the "combo" logos.  Chalking it up to wishful/hopeful thinking at this point.

They'll show up soon enough.

Since you replied - do you get your color information from the SVGs, or from the teams directly?

My lips are sealed...!

• Love 1
  • Applause 1