USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

2 hours ago, EJ_Barlik said:

Philadelphia Stars are calling it "Gold", but it's really "Yellow" (hex FFB81C).

Which is pantone 1235. Probably the most commonly used gold/yellow across major sports leagues. And commonly referred to "gold" AND "yellow", so the assertion that they are red and gold is accurate. Especially since the Philadelphia Stars themselves refer to it as "gold".

And, yes, one could argue that the "champagne" color is also a form of metallic/vegas gold.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I'm legitimately curious here, would y'all still be ranking Michigan as the best uniforms if they didn't bring back the iconic Panther helmet?

They would have had to seriously screw up the helmet decal to knock themselves out of the #1 spot. The jerseys, pants, and helmet color are fantastic. It's a very well balanced uniform with a unique color scheme.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

4 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I'm legitimately curious here, would y'all still be ranking Michigan as the best uniforms if they didn't bring back the iconic Panther helmet?

It's hard to not factor it in and the helmet puts it over the top... but I'd still probably have them up there because of the color scheme. Its a vintage style with a unique color scheme and great helmet.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Quick Thoughts:

Tampa Bay: I like the look for them, probably because I'm partial to a red/black/silver color scheme. They could do without the side stripes on the jersey, and have them replaced with something more complimentary to the helmet and pants stripe.

New Orleans: I find their jerseys to be quite underwhelming; more could have been achieved with the wave motif, and looking at the pants, I feel the white stripe kinda gets lost on the silver pants, at least in the promo photos. Their helmet is the best design piece, without question.

Houston: *sighs* So much could've been actualized with the Gamblers and they went with a lackluster, quasi-90s Falcons look.

Pittsburgh: Meh, I don't love it, although I do like the helmet. I've not much to say about the rest.

Michigan: Easily my favorite of the eight. They'd find improvements in trying to get the helmet's shade of gold onto the pants, and possibly throw some stripes on the socks. Otherwise, they look very sharp.

Birmingham: This would be better had they taken the striping pattern on the jersey and applied it to the pants, helmet, and socks. The singular solid stripe doesn't work here, nor does it on Pittsburgh and Houston's home look.

Philadelphia: I see what they were going for, but this representation should've been scrapped. I'm certain there were better ways to attempt to replicate the gradient on the logo and turn it into your focal design for the uniforms.

New Jersey: Looks good, I appreciate that they replicated their previous look and didn't overthink it too much.

I think the thing we gotta remember here - at the end of the day - we are debating the supposed look of promo uniforms under less-than-controlled (read: unequal) lighting conditions to try to make them look good for promo shoots.

The real proof in the pudding will be the on-the-field look in sunshine, with the high-def cameras.

I mean, had they shot the promo uniforms on the field in sunlight, we'd be that much closer to the actual product.  That can still be done with the "white curtain/green curtain" backdrop.

For that matter, they could have taken all 16 jersey combos, rested them on the 50 yard line , and shot them with a drone.  Nobody's ever done THAT before, and it would definitely show you what they look like outdoors, on the field.  All you gotta do then is turn the helmets sideways.  Boom!

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

The Bandits, Stallions and Generals jerseys are basically the same. 🙄  In an 8 team league.  Decorate them however you want, they're still white numbers on a red jersey x3.

Couldn't have a team wearing green somehow?  

And the league is called the USFL yet not one team is wearing red, white and blue?  Shocking.  

Meh to all of this.  I'll stick to my untraditional and original FCF.

• Yawn 2

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The Bandits, Stallions and Generals jerseys are basically the same. 🙄  In an 8 team league.  Decorate them however you want, they're still white numbers on a red jersey x3.

Um...this is very much a place that sweats the details. 

A red jersey with black and silver highlights and a logo on the sleeves, a red jersey with blue and gold highlights and a logo on the shoulders, and red jersey with gold highlights and traditional football striping on the sleeves aren't "the same." 

Factor in one having silver helmets and pants, one having red helmets and white pants, and the other having gold helmets and white pants and you have three looks that definitely do stand out as unique for each other. 

Yes, the league is red-heavy but that =/= "basically the same."

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Couldn't have a team wearing green somehow?  

The original USFL had some green teams, but as I said earlier this slate of eight teams seems to be picking from the ones most people seem to remember.

Green teams like the San Antonio Gunslingers or the Washington Federals either have scummy associations or were minor footnotes most people won't remember. 

The eight USFL teams chosen to "revive" may be red-heavy, but they weren't chosen because of aesthetics. They were chosen for business purposes. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

23 hours ago, Bmac said:

If the panther was the same size as a normal logo? Nope. It had to call back to the original to be a winner.

• Like 6

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

We can quibble all we want about the details, and the small changes any one of us would make, but the big picture here is pretty amazing. Look at this;

spacer.png

No team has as jersey and a pair of pants that are the same color. No team has a pair of pants and a pair of socks that are the same color. That means, based on the uniforms as currently constituted, it is literally impossible for any team to wear a monochrome uniform, even if they wanted to!  (Unless you count all-white, which you shouldn't.)  Not only is it impossible to do the ugly match of dark jersey/dark pants, it's also impossible to go with the ugly leotard look of matching pants and sock colors.  And as a final kick in the berries to the nike-fied trends of the last decade, every single pair of pants has a stripe.

It really is hard to believe... I would never have seen this detail coming, as an across-the-board feature.  Its like someone crawled into my head while I was sleeping and pulled out my most basic hoped for "rules" for football uniforms. If/when I am made benevolent dictator of the universe these are the exact uniform rules I'm enacting to the NFL.

• Like 12
  • Love 2
  • Applause 3

I really like Michigan's uniforms (as many do) but I've been trying to think where I've seen that home sleeve stripe design.

Then it came to me (back when CU wore its best shade of gold):

12 fotos e imágenes de Nebraska Boulder 1997 - Getty Images

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

So in this picture the Gamblers are wearing the dark gray pants with their away jerseys. And in their reveal video, they show them wearing both the dark gray and the light gray pants, but the dark gray with white is actually labeled as the Away uniform. So are they wearing both pants, or did they screw up and give them the Bandits' pants for part of the shoot and not bother to fix it?

spacer.png