Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

To everyone who hates "32s"

Sorry you all hate fun. 

I unapologetically love that name and have followed suit with BASS as just using that name when I refer to the team. 

• Like 3

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

20 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

After having a day to think about it, my fingers are officially crossed for Red Hogs. All of the finalist names are bad for different reasons. Pig/hog imagery has been the only part of the team's identity that's not Native American related. I'd go as far as saying pigs/hogs to Washington fans are equal to the dog imagery of the Browns. It's not the team's name, but still part of the team's identity.

/Pedantic rant

While your "RedHogs" looks like a fun concept, and keeps the "Red--- " name, "Hogs" has never been officially part of the team's identity. It was a nickname the coach gave to his offensive line. That's it. Doesn't even apply to the whole team, just the 4-5 players on the offensive line. Fans ran with it. The team existed for almost 50 years before that term was used. There never was any official "Hog" set of logos before that era, nor since.

Just like "Dawgs". A few defensive backs called their group "Dawgs", and the fans picked up on it. Now, Dawgs is connected more to the fans (Dawg Pound) than the team itself.

Naming a team after its fan base makes as much sense as the Las Vegas Black Holes, Green Bay Cheese Heads or the Buffalo Mafia.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

17 minutes ago, ralphz said:

Well have fun then. 

I mean….that is what I’m doing. 

• Like 3

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

14 minutes ago, slapshot said:

/Pedantic rant

While your "RedHogs" looks like a fun concept, and keeps the "Red--- " name, "Hogs" has never been officially part of the team's identity. It was a nickname the coach gave to his offensive line. That's it. Doesn't even apply to the whole team, just the 4-5 players on the offensive line. Fans ran with it. The team existed for almost 50 years before that term was used. There never was any official "Hog" set of logos before that era, nor since.

Just like "Dawgs". A few defensive backs called their group "Dawgs", and the fans picked up on it. Now, Dawgs is connected more to the fans (Dawg Pound) than the team itself.

Naming a team after its fan base makes as much sense as the Las Vegas Black Holes, Green Bay Cheese Heads or the Buffalo Mafia.

Buuut…the Browns have a Dawg as their alternate logo, and the Bills have embraced the Mafia on social media. The WFT themselves are emphasizing on both fan service and team history with the rebrand, and RedHogs would be a great way to do both.

• Like 11

Another thing that never gets old around here - watching some of you get all bent out of shape over a name like 32's (I don't give a flying :censored: that it's not supposed to have an apostrophe. The apostrophe makes it look good and I like it.) It's a fun name ya bunch of buzzkills. 😎

• Like 6

BB52Big.jpg

43 minutes ago, Jer15 said:
6 hours ago, IceCap said:

To everyone who hates "32s"

Sorry you all hate fun. 

I unapologetically love that name and have followed suit with BASS as just using that name when I refer to the team. 

We have the best listeners in all of podcasting. We got your back, Jer.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

43 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Buuut…the Browns have a Dawg as their alternate logo, and the Bills have embraced the Mafia on social media. The WFT themselves are emphasizing on both fan service and team history with the rebrand, and RedHogs would be a great way to do both.

RedHogs is such a minor league baseball name. Way too...flippant for a major league team 

But it would be a natural informal spinoff from Red Hawks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

I’m all for rebranding the entire league with pig/hog related nicknames.

first up: Philadelphia Rum Hams

Mockup request : Nippon Ham Fighters logo wherein a strong jawed cartoony batter wields a large bone-in ham, mimicking Harmon Killebrew or Julio Franco's stance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, burgundy said:

I think "We will launch" is being extrapolated to mean more than it does because it's taken out of context. "We will launch" is not the entire sentence; it's followed by a dramatic pause for the date reveal. The entirety of what they're saying is "We will launch... 2/2/22".

Sure, it could have a second meaning, but it's likely they're just referring to the launch of the new identity.

Red Rockets

• Like 3

Am I the only one that sees a problem with Redhawks even being an option? Are we just completely ignoring the existence of the Seattle Seahawks? This isn't NCAA with hundreds of members, where having multiple teams called the name (prefix)hawks is acceptable. This is a 32 team league. There should be absolutely no repeat names! Full name, prefix, suffix, whatever. There should not be a second team in the NFL with "hawks" in their name, PERIOD

How did that even make it this far into the process? Redhawks should have been nixed 2 seconds after that name was suggested. Being a fan of this team my whole life I know the Snyder administration makes bad decisions, but gawdam this one was should have never even been entertained. Yet here we are!

Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 13

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Also, if Commanders is the new name, then I want to see the Hogs fans rebranded as Ham-bassadors.

• Like 5

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

So how soon should we expect some employee of Dick's Sporting Goods to upload a picture of new Washington gear inside of a box in the backroom?

I doubt they will have jerseys ready for the reveal, stuff with the logo and name I could see happening though