Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

After having a day to think about it, my fingers are officially crossed for Red Hogs. All of the finalist names are bad for different reasons. Pig/hog imagery has been the only part of the team's identity that's not Native American related. I'd go as far as saying pigs/hogs to Washington fans are equal to the dog imagery of the Browns. It's not the team's name, but still part of the team's identity.

Plus, I'm intrigued by logo possibilities. Just a few that have been floating around online for a while now.

No photo description available.

Eric Hudson (@Big_E_86) / Twitter

• Like 10

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

To be fair, in the video the first helmet pulled out seemed to have a black facemask. Whether or not that was the case or just shadows playing tricks is yet to be seen. There’s even an all black helmet shown. It’s not like the facemasks on a helmet are exclusive to that one specific helmet.  Also, they push the “burgundy & gold” angle pretty hard so why would they remove any trace of gold from one of the uniforms?

EDIT: While the presumed home burgundy jersey takes clear inspiration from the recently used throwbacks, the presumed away white jersey could just be an updated modern version of their 1961-68 uniforms

spacer.png

Keep grasping at straws. With enough “predictions” one is bound to be right

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Any chance of the name being Washington Team Football? I mean, there is a good chance that the main reaction to the unveiling will be WTF, might as well head them off at the pass, so to speak.

Having people in Washington DC wearing gear that says WTF. <Insert joke here>

• Like 1

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Sentinels would be weird - practically same as Guardians.

I find it hard to imagine anything but the tried and true switch to Red______s.

I liked Redtails because of the history but supposedly it's not a finalist?  "Tails" as a shortened form is awful.

Is Red Hawks really an option if trademarks eliminated Wolves?   Hawks can also informally go with Hogs...I think it might be the best choice, Miami OH notwithstanding

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Sentinels would be weird - practically same as Guardians.

The Replacements has provided more quality football over the past twenty-two years than the Washington NFL team has. Why not lean into it?

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

I want a big, fat boy hog

Ask and you shall receive.

2010-harley-fat-boy-lo-i4.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Spoiler

For those that don't get the reference (and I'm guessing it's most of you) pictured is a Harley-Davidson Fat Boy.

Harleys are also referred to  (incorrectly, I might add) as "hogs."

• Like 7

BB52Big.jpg

24 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Just wanna be sure here --  WFT has confirmed they will not be retaining "Football Team" as the team name, right?

WFT was on their final eight list. I hope they stick with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

WFT was on their final eight list. I hope they stick with it.

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

"Football Team" would easily surpass Kraken as the worst name in the history of all big 4 pro sportsball.

• Like 12

6uXNWAo.png

44 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

"Football Team" would easily surpass Kraken as the worst name in the history of all big 4 pro sportsball.

Make that the big five, and it's a no contest in worst team name as far as I'm concerned.

spacer.png

WFT would be light years ahead  of CF Montreal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

The Replacements has provided more quality football over the past twenty-two years than the Washington NFL team has. Why not lean into it?

Not gonna lie, first thought was of the band from the 1980's and the name Washington Replacements, and thinking  Washington Fugazi or Washington Bad Brains would be much more fitting.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, infrared41 said:

There are worse options. Most of the ones I've seen, in fact.

32's or bust!

32’s is such a clunky sounding name, + there is already a “number” team in the league. It’s actually baffling how we ended up in a situation with SO MANY bad options, how does the capital of the US not inspire at least two or three somewhat generally well-liked nicknames?

• Like 7

7 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Not gonna lie, first thought was of the band from the 1980's and the name Washington Replacements, and thinking  Washington Fugazi or Washington Bad Brains would be much more fitting.

DCHC-FT ! hahah

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.