Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

I doubt they will have jerseys ready for the reveal, stuff with the logo and name I could see happening though

That's what I meant. T-shirt, hats, jackets, etc. Figured the uniforms would be revealed closer to the NFL Draft.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

47 minutes ago, Needschat said:

People, it could have been worse. They could have reached into the city's sports history and brought back the Diplomats.  Fans and press would have a field day with the shortened name!

spacer.png

Oh, they certainly did back then, too!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

On 1/6/2022 at 9:12 AM, leopard88 said:

Let's just say I'll be singing "I Can't Drive 55" to myself in about seven months.

I'm pretty sure we still had a box with that logo that was in the "use for shirts and other clothing" Christmas rotation until a few years ago.

Hell, I will be celebrating with a bottle of Heinz next month. 

Youngsters🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

12 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

What about Washington Monumentals as a team name? I mean DC has all those fancy buildings, so should WFT go Monumental?

Monumentals wouldn't be great because monumental is an adjective, not a noun.

Plus Ted Leonsis and his Monumental Sports Entertainment group would probably complain. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 hours ago, LogoFan said:
22 hours ago, CS85 said:

The 32s name came about because technically their name became Washington Football Team Established 1932, so shorten that sucker up to the 32s, and baby you gotta stew going.

Who wants to glorify a year in the height of the Great Depression?  It just sounds lame and most people outside of diehards won't know what it's referring to.

Who cares? It's a fun name.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

22 hours ago, LogoFan said:

On the serious side, 32s is just is incredibly lame, IMHO.   Just can't see it polling well in fan surveys.

On the serious side, Red Wolves is "incredibly lame", IMHO.  Let's take one of the most generic names in sports and throw red in front of it.  Talk about uninspired. You know why I like 32s? Because it doesn't lend itself to a bunch of Nike bull-:censored: trying to explain how a red wolf has ties to Congress and Dupont Circle.

• Like 7

BB52Big.jpg

8 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

If “Football Team” is retained, which probably has an 80% chance doing so, all fans, of the team and not, shall collectively refer to them as the “32s”

That would be easily the worst name or nickname in sports. 32s is awkward to even say.

• Like 4

There is one thing that has driven me nuts since the WFT name started, and it has nothing to do with the name. It's the fact that people keep calling them the Football Team to mock the name. For example,  announcers say "a pick 6 for the football team!" Just call them Washington when you refer to them on the field. It's not that hard. People make it more awkward than it has to be.  I think the awkwardness of WFT has been more fabricated than anything. Soccer has entire leagues made up of these names and the teams are just referred to by their home city. 

Edit: Please keep in mind that I am not saying that I am for or against keeping WFT. I am just stating an observation.

Edited by PlayGloria
clarification
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Hell, I will be celebrating with a bottle of Heinz next month. 

Youngsters🤣🤣🤣

Indeed!

Very underrated sauce, for the record.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

When the league switched from Reebok to Nike as the official supplier, both the Bears and the Chiefs moved the TV numbers to the shoulder, and pushed up the stripes on the sleeve.  (Washington & Las Vegas are the only teams who still put numbers on the sleeves).

What if Washington went down that route too?spacer.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, slapshot said:

Naming a team after its fan base makes as much sense as the Las Vegas Black Holes, Green Bay Cheese Heads or the Buffalo Mafia.

Wasn't the Colorado Crush AFL team meant to be a reference to the Broncos' Orange Crush? I know arena football isn't the best source for an example, but I don't see the issue with going with a name your fans already have an attachment to. When you take the Native American elements out of the WFT brand the only tangible elements you have left are the city name, the colours, and the fans dressed as hogs in the stands.

16 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Sports are entertainment. What's the goal of entertainment? to have fun. At least, it was last i checked.

And nothing says fun sports entertainment like numbers.

bart simpson math GIF

• Like 4