Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

35 minutes ago, the_grateful_ted said:

32’s is such a clunky sounding name, + there is already a “number” team in the league. It’s actually baffling how we ended up in a situation with SO MANY bad options, how does the capital of the US not inspire at least two or three somewhat generally well-liked nicknames?

I mean, there’s 5 bird teams. 6 if Washington chooses “RedHawks”. One other team thats on the complete opposite side of the country with a number name isn’t going to hurt much.

San Francisco 49ers

Washington 32s

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, the_grateful_ted said:

32’s is such a clunky sounding name, + there is already a “number” team in the league. It’s actually baffling how we ended up in a situation with SO MANY bad options, how does the capital of the US not inspire at least two or three somewhat generally well-liked nicknames?

Well, it did, "Wolves" of some sort seemed to be the consensus lead with the most positive reception, but "legal troubles" for the most popular and biggest league in America, of course.

I know there is long history behind them, but we have multiple Giants, Cardinals, Jets, in the big 4, and there's countless Eagles, Lions, Falcons, Bears, Raiders etc. when you factor in College Football too. 

Are the Minnesota Timberwolves and Arkansas State RedWolves really giving them THAT much trouble that they have to -potentially- disappoint the fans?

I guess I don't understand the copyrights and trademarks, if they design a whole brand that is independent in design from those others, there can't be that much of an issue, no? Minnesota can't own everything to do with a wolf in sports, right?

• Like 4

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

10 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Well, it did, "Wolves" of some sort seemed to be the consensus lead with the most positive reception, but "legal troubles" for the most popular and biggest league in America, of course.

I know there is long history behind them, but we have multiple Giants, Cardinals, Jets, in the big 4, and there's countless Eagles, Lions, Falcons, Bears, Raiders etc. when you factor in College Football too. 

Are the Minnesota Timberwolves and Arkansas State RedWolves really giving them THAT much trouble that they have to -potentially- disappoint the fans?

I guess I don't understand the copyrights and trademarks, if they design a whole brand that is independent in design from those others, there can't be that much of an issue, no? Minnesota can't own everything to do with a wolf in sports, right?

What about the Washington Independents. That would have been a perfect name

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

There's also the Chicago Wolves of the AHL, and they share a color scheme with Washington Football Team.

spacer.png

• Like 4

spacer.png

1 hour ago, the_grateful_ted said:

Nobody wants anything patriotic and that's the main thing people associate with DC. The Washington Cherry Blossoms and Washington Halfsmokes don't have a great ring to them.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I knew you were old, but that's OLD😁😅🤣

Good catch. I remember it, too.

Let's just say I'll be singing "I Can't Drive 55" to myself in about seven months.

I'm pretty sure we still had a box with that logo that was in the "use for shirts and other clothing" Christmas rotation until a few years ago.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 1/4/2022 at 12:40 PM, flyersfan said:

The NFL has done a good job for the most part in brand cohesion. When you turn a game on, it should be clear the two teams you're watching without any need for extra stuff in terms of logos and field paintings and the announcers telling you. Teal and Orange? Dolphins. Black and Gold? Steelers. The very casual viewer should be able to know what team they're looking at instantly.

Aqua*

• Like 7

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I mean, there’s 5 bird teams. 6 if Washington chooses “RedHawks”. One other team thats on the complete opposite side of the country with a number name isn’t going to hurt much.

San Francisco 49ers

Washington 32s

Sorry to be late to the party on this, but what is the significance of "32s" with regard to Washington? If it is a joke that the WFT is the worst of all the 32 NFL teams then I appreciate the sarcasm but if there is a real meaning could someone please share?  Thanks!

On 1/4/2022 at 11:56 AM, flyersfan said:

Their hints of the phrases in the teasers:

-hail to the greats that laid the foundation for our legacy

-hail to the fans we consider family

-we are and always have been Washington

-we'll fight for our community

-and together we will define our future

-we will launch

The Launch part feels significant, but idk what name that could refer to.

Okay, so the finalists are apparently

• Armada

• Brigade

• Commanders

• Defenders

• Football Team

• Presidents

• RedHawks

“Hail to the Greats... foundation for our legacy”

Armada

Brigade

• Commanders

• Defenders

• Football Team

Presidents

• RedHawks

”Hail to the Fans we consider family”

• Commanders

• Defenders

• Football Team

RedHawks

“We are and have always been Washington”

• Commanders

Defenders (XFL is still active)

• Football Team

“We’ll fight for our community”

• Commanders

• Football Team

”... together we will define our future” & “We will Launch”

• Commanders

Football Team

We have a winner!

Commanders

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tron1013 said:

Sorry to be late to the party on this, but what is the significance of "32s" with regard to Washington? If it is a joke that the WFT is the worst of all the 32 NFL teams then I appreciate the sarcasm but if there is a real meaning could someone please share?  Thanks!

The team was established in 1932. 

Washington Football Team to unveil new name, logo Feb. 2 | theScore.com

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.