Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

28 minutes ago, bowld said:

Any chance this is just the Nike Swoosh on the sleeve?

I don't think I've ever seen a swoosh with a seam in it, so I doubt it.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, Sport said:

I've been championing Washington Warthogs (which would naturally be shortened to Hogs by the fans) this entire time, but I feel very alone in that boat. 

I don't think I've ever stated it for the record, but that was and still is my favorite of all the many nicknames that have passed thru this process by far. (And also yes, the "Hogs" thing would've been only too appropriate.)

• Like 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

That would be an overreaction. They’re still a very historic franchise with a lot of memorable moments: Turk Edwards’ bizarre career-ending injury, 73-0, the career of Sammy Baugh, the end of Vince Lombardi’s career (and life), the Over-the-Hill Gang, Mike Bass’ touchdown on Garo Yepremian’s ill-advised throw, Riggins’ Super Bowl run, Doug Williams and Timmy Smith setting the world on fire in Super Bowl 22, and the 1991 team - arguably the best NFL team of the Super Bowl era, right up there with the ‘72 Dolphins, ‘84 49ers, ‘85 Bears, and (LOLOLOLOL) ‘07 Patriots. 

I do believe the league could find a reason, if HQ really wanted to, to force Dan Snyder to sell the team. That plus the new name could work wonders in the rehabilitation of the franchise. 

I don't think so. Given the history of bigotry in ownership and the horrendous track of the current regime the entire franchise has no belonging in the modern nfl. Send them to the history books where they can live alongside the Pottsville Maroons and Dayton Triangles.

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

Washington Admirals? I beat the Dutch contigent would be pleased.

Well,  if they left it up entirely to the public you'd get the football equivalent of Boaty McBoatface.  😀

0r not.    Washington was an Army General, so the whole Admiral thing doesn't work.  Obviously not the Washington Generals either.  Even if they weren't the Globetrotters perennial whipping boys, you have the USFL Generals.

I don't get why Wolves by itself is a trademark issue when you have the Minnesota Timberwolves.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I don't think so. Given the history of bigotry in ownership and the horrendous track of the current regime the entire franchise has no belonging in the modern nfl. Send them to the history books where they can live alongside the Pottsville Maroons and Dayton Triangles.

Just because ownership has had a horrendous track record doesn’t mean the franchise should contract.*  They’ve played a part in NFL history, with 3 Super Bowls, and fierce, long term- rivalries with some of the most popular teams in the League.

*If that’s the case, the entire AFC West, and the Jaguars should not exist. And those were just of the top of my head.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Unrelated, but I'm suddenly disappointed that "Washington Maroons" wasn't in the running. 😂

• Like 5

Well this thread is running out of steam fast. It has been an exciting 20 plus hours though.

One thing to note: I'd be STUNNED if they are sticking with Washington Football Team.

To go into all this trouble and then just keep the boilerplate name, I just don't see it.  They wouldn't pass up a new chance to generate excitement over a new name and all the merchandise sales to follow. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Needschat said:

I'm surprised the Monopoly didn't try to use the Arena League's Washington Commandos!

spacer.png

The announcement: "Ladies and gentleman Washington football is going commando".

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

FIQ_HTwXEAYQC1Q?format=jpg

Sorry if I missed this, but is there any chance this isn't numbers on the white jersey like we're all assuming.  It looks so different than the gold numbers shown.  Different style, different material.  Could this be a white patch of some kind sewn onto burgundy somewhere else. 

EDIT: Yup this is now being covered already

I'd wager strongly that these are the rear numbers. The current jersey template has a seam running down the center and the stitching closely resembles kiss-cut outlining for twill numbers.

img-3352381-f.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ptaylor said:

Well this thread is running out of steam fast. It has been an exciting 20 plus hours though.

One thing to note: I'd be STUNNED if they are sticking with Washington Football Team.

To go into all this trouble and then just keep the boilerplate name, I just don't see it.  They wouldn't pass up a new chance to generate excitement over a new name and all the merchandise sales to follow. 

Agree. Im sure they moved on when they was informed they WFT wouldn't be able to get a patent 

1 hour ago, ptaylor said:

Having a month long ramp up to just announce nothing is changing would be a real kick in the knackers.

• Like 1