Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

The Diamond pattern is different in the center than the top/bottom. It's showing some sort of a gradient-like pattern, and not a faux mesh since the diamond sizes are different. It's also printed directly on the fabric/twill, it isn't holes like the burgundy, which are uniform in size over the whole number.

From the video, you can see the square pattern with the glimpse of a nameplate, which confirms that its on the shoulder. It could be angled from what I drew below, but this is a ballpark of what we can see:

51MUccM.png

• Like 1

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

14 minutes ago, elliott said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but to me, the dot-diamond thing going on in the bottom-right image is implying some sort of gradient texture within the numbers, kind of like some hybrid between the Seahawks and Rams.

I've really been trying to figure out what the bottom left image is showing. At first glance, the angled seam would indicate that it's showing the arm stripe. So.. the same stripe as the 2nd row, right column... just showing the light jersey instead of the dark jersey. Clearly though, the widths are different, and there is a lack of that diamond texture in the yellow-white-yellow stripe.

Does this mean that there is going to be a weird inconsistency in sleeve stripe design from home<-->away, again much like the Rams?

Or, does the white inner stripe "fade out" in to a different color using a dot gradient and we just can't see it in the teaser image...... like this sort of thing:

spacer.png

The bottom right image has been racking my brain as well. At first glance, it seems like the back number with the white jersey seam, but that doesn't seem totally right.

• the kerning is way too tight for them to be numbers
  • stroke width isn't consistent with the home jersey
  • the home doesn't have the dot gradient effect
  • the material looks different than the home – rubberish material on home and cloth on the away

That being said, I don't know what else that could be. If I had to guess, I'd say we're looking at vastly different home and away sets.

• Like 6

The diamond pattern is obviously a throwback to the seminal Nike uniform previously worn by the DMV’s team with loudest fan base. The Hokies can now brag about their special relationship not only with the Yankees but also the WFT. 
spacer.png

But seriously, I think they’ll claim it evokes the shape of the District before Retrocession.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

This is a super crazy out there idea, but...

what if that diamond pattern means absolutely nothing and it’s just faux mesh?

As much as many of us would like to think otherwise, this is the NFL and specifically Nike we're talking about...I guarantee you they'll say it means something

As some have already said, it may be a foregone conclusion about the shape of "Old DC" (before the Union gave Virginia its land back--and therein lies one tie in, "Fight For Old DC"). Having observed that Nike operates in design cycles, and that right now patterns (and specifically number treatments) are their thing du jour, dang straight they'll come up with something hokey to justify it.

Now, stepping back and looking at some concepts of what could be the new aways, between the dot-matrix (diamond-matrix? Yeah--that's probably what they'll call it) patterns on the road stripe and the same pattern in gradient on what looks to be the numbers, it reminds me, however tangentially, of indigenous wampum belt patterns--it totally wouldn't shock me at all if the design team pulled that one out of their collective hat, as well. 

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

FIQ_HTwXEAYQC1Q?format=jpg

Sorry if I missed this, but is there any chance this isn't numbers on the white jersey like we're all assuming.  It looks so different than the gold numbers shown.  Different style, different material.  Could this be a white patch of some kind sewn onto burgundy somewhere else. 

EDIT: Yup this is now being covered already

• Like 2

90758391980.gif

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

This is a super crazy out there idea, but...

what if that diamond pattern means absolutely nothing and it’s just faux mesh?

The connection between the diamonds & the map of DC makes me thing that they're going to use them in a similar way to Seattle's feather pattern. We already see them incorporated into the numbers & sleeve stripe, and I wouldn't be surprised if the alternate helmet features them.

4 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

To clear it all up, yes, this is different from the home uniform, thats part of the point.

The white is a seam, implying that is the base layer (jersey). The twill used there is the default material for numbers across many American sports uniforms. They are not perforations, you can tell in the largest white diamond on the lower number, it has the same surface texture of the burgundy part on the same number. On the top number's largest diamond, if there were perforations there would be some sort of shadow, which there is not.

Could this be on a sleeve? Yes, (doubtful because they are using twill) but we also saw a white jersey with no yoke or striping coming down the back of the shoulder, with a square pattern on a sleeve cap.

These look like numbers (the black outline and stitching suggests it), and the diamonds are some sort of pattern on them, it looks like some sort of gradient towards the top and the bottom. This picture of CMC is to evidence the sleeve stripes being a jersey fabric and not a twill...

Should the Panthers Update Their Uniforms? - Sports Illustrated Carolina  Panthers News, Analysis and More

• Like 2

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

How often do expansion teams run into copyright problems? The Guardians hit a couple of bumps on the road and now it feels like just about every WFT option has concerns.  Is this common? I suppose when you name your team "Minnesota Wild," you're not in too much danger.

Maybe play it safe and go with "Capitol City Extreme."

I think it's going to be Washington Football Team.

• Like 4

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I wonder if there's a poll anywhere that illustrates percentages of what folks think thr new name will be. There used to be a way to do a poll in here, maybe there still is, I don't know--whatever way, I'm still betting what few internet coins I have on either Armada or Admirals. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

24 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I wonder if there's a poll anywhere that illustrates percentages of what folks think thr new name will be. There used to be a way to do a poll in here, maybe there still is, I don't know--whatever way, I'm still betting what few internet coins I have on either Armada or Admirals. 

There is but one name for the WFT that works at every level and that name is the 32's.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Sorry if I missed this, but is there any chance this isn't numbers on the white jersey like we're all assuming.  It looks so different than the gold numbers shown.  Different style, different material.  Could this be a white patch of some kind sewn onto burgundy somewhere else. 

EDIT: Yup this is now being covered already

Any chance this is just the Nike Swoosh on the sleeve?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tron1013 said:

The diamond pattern is obviously a throwback to the seminal Nike uniform previously worn by the DMV’s team with loudest fan base. The Hokies can now brag about their special relationship not only with the Yankees but also the WFT. 
spacer.png

But seriously, I think they’ll claim it evokes the shape of the District before Retrocession.

That...actually looks good to me. 

3 hours ago, flyersfan said:

The Diamond pattern is different in the center than the top/bottom. It's showing some sort of a gradient-like pattern, and not a faux mesh since the diamond sizes are different. It's also printed directly on the fabric/twill, it isn't holes like the burgundy, which are uniform in size over the whole number.

From the video, you can see the square pattern with the glimpse of a nameplate, which confirms that its on the shoulder. It could be angled from what I drew below, but this is a ballpark of what we can see:

51MUccM.png

I’m pretty sure this uniform is banned under the terms of the Geneva Convention. Then again, we in the United States have a spotty history with international law, and DC is our capitol, so...

• Like 4