CARDINALS: FAUX LEATHER BROWN THROWBACK vs BLACK ALTERNATE

RAMS: NONE vs NONE

49ERS: NONE vs NONE

SEAHAWKS: SILVER THROWBACK vs SILVER THROWBACK

• Like 3

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

15 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

So….now that this firestorm of a debate is over…

What teams are eligible for new uniforms? The Lions (not that they have to change) come to mind.

Now eligible: Lions

Eligible after 2022: Titans, Jaguars, Dolphins

Eligible after 2023: Jets

• Like 3

I would argue the Lions do need to change. Their hard-to-see silver numbers on their Honolulu blues are... well, hard to see. The odd addition of dark grey being in there as outlines would be significantly better as white. They got rid of black from the previous set only to include another unnecessary addition, grey. I won't even mention the alternates because they shouldn't even exist.

Honorable mention: the William Clay Ford patch. I find it funny that they're copying their division rivals, but with an owner who is much more insignificant and hardly ever accomplished anything.

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

20 hours ago, guest23 said:

The flaw with your argument is that every example except for jags teal is a worse option  than what they wear. You are reinforcing the point that the iconic franchises have selected their best option and alternatives worsen their look.

I don't care for this argument. Primary because I don't think a team having one particular helmet for a long time means that its reached an evolutionary end point. Especially when it comes to helmets because the single helmet aesthetic really only came into being in 1950's and 1960's. The Cardinals used a white helmet for home and red helmets on the road as recently as 1957. We accept different helmets for home and away in hockey without even thinking about it. 

So here's my list of teams that could benefit from an alternate (non-throwback) helmet design:

Eagles: White helmets with green wings with the all white uniform

Commanders: Gold helmets with burgundy "W"

Carolina: Black helmets with the blue over black uniform

Falcons: Red helmets for division games

Rams: Same shell but bring the white horns/facemask back with a plain royal/white uniform

Cardinals: Red helmet for road games (also powder blue or sand road uniforms)

Seattle: Grey paired with grey pants

Bills: Red for division games

Jaguars: Gold

Texans: White helmet with solid white uniform

Steelers: Gold helmet when wearing the color rush

Ravens: Purple for games against the Steelers

Raiders: Black helmet one day a year

A few things stick out to me about this list. Almost all of these teams have changed their uniforms at some point or another in the last 50 years. They aren't that many "iconic" NFL looks left. A lot of this is in keeping with the current aesthetic or similar to past designs. My conclusion is that there's a lot of wiggle room when we look at alternate helmets.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I don't care for this argument. Primary because I don't think a team having one particular helmet for a long time means that its reached an evolutionary end point. Especially when it comes to helmets because the single helmet aesthetic really only came into being in 1950's and 1960's. The Cardinals used a white helmet for home and red helmets on the road as recently as 1957. We accept different helmets for home and away in hockey without even thinking about it. 

So here's my list of teams that could benefit from an alternate (non-throwback) helmet design:

Rams: Same shell but bring the white horns/facemask back with a plain royal/white uniform

A few things stick out to me about this list. Almost all of these teams have changed their uniforms at some point or another in the last 50 years. They aren't that many "iconic" NFL looks left. A lot of this is in keeping with the current aesthetic or similar to past designs. My conclusion is that there's a lot of wiggle room when we look at alternate helmets.

White helmets with all white uniforms is definitely not something any of those NFL teams would benefit from, and definitely not a bandwagon I want to see the NFL hopping on. It's something college teams do. It's one thing if that's already a part of a team's identity or history, because it's that team's individual brand. But to do it just for the sake of doing is just as annoying as teams doing BFBS. Team's should be sticking to their brand identities. Mostly in my view this means throwbacks, but I'm sure there could be an exception or two where a secondary helmet could fit in with that team's brand with an alt uniform.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

White helmets with all white uniforms is definitely not something any of those NFL teams would benefit from, and definitely not a bandwagon I want to see the NFL hopping on. It's something college teams do. It's one thing if that's already a part of a team's identity or history, because it's that team's individual brand. But to do it just for the sake of doing is just as annoying as teams doing BFBS. Team's should be sticking to their brand identities. Mostly in my view this means throwbacks, but I'm sure there could be an exception or two where a secondary helmet could fit in with that team's brand with an alt uniform.

I recommend a white helmet with white uniform for exactly two teams on that list. One of which already wore that look:

77422eb1a1e417e0792da097fb7b618a.jpg

The other was part of the team's initial aesthetic. 

E4rAWHPWYAIMjJW.jpg

Indeed I'm also recommending colored helmets for otherwise white capped teams (Bills/Cardinals) and in the Cardinals case, explicitly moving away from an all white uniform.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Change for the sake of change. There are a few teams like the falcons or jets whose identity is not really settled as to what their best helmet color is but the vast majority of franchises don't need to mix and match or do home/away, div/non div.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, guest23 said:

Change for the sake of change. There are a few teams like the falcons or jets whose identity is not really settled as to what their best helmet color is but the vast majority of franchises don't need to mix and match or do home/away, div/non div.  

Forgot about the Jets. Though I suppose that's more of a throwback look than a straight alternate.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I recommend a white helmet with white uniform for exactly two teams on that list. One of which already wore that look:

77422eb1a1e417e0792da097fb7b618a.jpg

The other was part of the team's initial aesthetic. 

E4rAWHPWYAIMjJW.jpg

Indeed I'm also recommending colored helmets for otherwise white capped teams (Bills/Cardinals) and in the Cardinals case, explicitly moving away from an all white uniform.

Yep I read what you wrote :) It's also why I said they wouldn't benefit from it. Eagles best secondary option is the Kelly green throwback. Houston Texans in all white with a white helmet also wouldn't be their best option. 

43 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Yep I read what you wrote :) It's also why I said they wouldn't benefit from it. Eagles best secondary option is the Kelly green throwback. Houston Texans in all white with a white helmet also wouldn't be their best option. 

Ah, see I don’t want the Eagles to use Kelly green as an alternate.

For me, it should be Kelly green all the way or nothing.

I think it would be cool if they went with the 1990 uniforms (Kelly green with silver wings, green jerseys, silver pants) as their full time home uniform and the 1970 uniforms (white helmet with green wings, white jersey/pants) as their full time  road uniform. Swapping out the jersey only when they either wear white at home or play a team that wears white at home.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I would argue the Lions do need to change. Their hard-to-see silver numbers on their Honolulu blues are... well, hard to see. The odd addition of dark grey being in there as outlines would be significantly better as white. They got rid of black from the previous set only to include another unnecessary addition, grey. I won't even mention the alternates because they shouldn't even exist.

Honorable mention: the William Clay Ford patch. I find it funny that they're copying their division rivals, but with an owner who is much more insignificant and hardly ever accomplished anything.

A few white outlines and get rid of the dark grey, and they’re solid. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Keep in mind that this still exists and we can’t truly rule it out

spacer.png

in what way do these "still exist"?  You're just making things up for the sake of posting.

• Dislike 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."