2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

6 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The team already makes so much cash. Then I wonder is it really worth upsetting litterally everybody?

The league and the teams know that after the initial anger over the ads, the majority of fans will get over it, or at least, use to it.  What are fans really going to do?  Not buy tickets?  Not but any merch?  Not watch at all?  Not likely to any of that.  At the end of the day, professional sports is a business, and there's no such thing as too much money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M4One said:

The league and the teams know that after the initial anger over the ads, the majority of fans will get over it, or at least, use to it.  What are fans really going to do?  Not buy tickets?  Not but any merch?  Not watch at all?  Not likely to any of that.  At the end of the day, professional sports is a business, and there's no such thing as too much money.

Exactly, the people who really care about this kind of thing enough to consider it tarnishing something sacred are a rather small fraction of the market for NHL teams; I doubt most fans watching will really care about it.

After all, what's really more important to your average hockey fan who's not super plugged into the design space; a small patch on the jersey or the actual on-ice performance of their team?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Not buy merch with ads on it is the most likely.

It's only the jersey that they are selling with the ad and you can get one without it.  I can't really see too many people, if any, will buy one, even with the charity component attached to it.  Only way I would buy a jersey with an ad is if it were cheaper and I could easily remove the patch like how I did  with the Reebok jock tag.  Everything else will be ad free and I can't see people not ponying up to support their favourite team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

How has no one posted this yet, it leaked like 12 hours ago. Also, kinda weird, since they are phasing down the orange and ditched the navy all together in their regular jerseys again. I was just expecting a white version with royal blue

FdJuiq5XEAM3imC?format=jpg&name=360x360

It's fine, but where is the reverse part?  I guess with having a white jersey the first time around, they didn't want to do it again.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, adsarebad said:

also, all the anniversary patches/celebrations have gone overboard.

you don't put patches on MLB, NHL jerseys every 5 or 10, 15, 20 years.

So ridiculous! 

you do it at 25, 50, 75, 100,  etc !!

Because it you don't,  you will have 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 , 35, 40 year patches.... one every 5 years!

come on man!

What's worse is that many teams insist on sticking the anniversairy logo at center ice, where the team's primary branding is supposed to go.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

49 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The reverse part is having orange on the jersey instead of silver.

But there was no orange on the original, so how is that reversing?  If they are reversing, then it should be a white jersey.  It probably doesn't bother anyone else and probably isn't that big of a deal in the end, but I feel the program should have been called Retro Remixed to be more accurate since many of the first sets did not actually flip the colours around like how St. Louis or Columbus did.  And, yes, I know they said remixed as part of the hype a couple of years ago.  

1 hour ago, M4One said:

But there was no orange on the original, so how is that reversing?  If they are reversing, then it should be a white jersey.

The Reverse Retro has never been just about switching colors on an old design. Several of the very first designs were about taking one era's color scheme and applying it to another era's jersey, like the Kings, Canucks and Capitals. Using the navy and orange on the Oil Drop jersey would fit right in with that idea.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

21 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

The Reverse Retro has never been just about switching colors on an old design. Several of the very first designs were about taking one era's color scheme and applying it to another era's jersey, like the Kings, Canucks and Capitals. Using the navy and orange on the Oil Drop jersey would fit right in with that idea.

Yeah, I know that.  I just feel the name shouldn't have been Retro Reversed, but Retro Remixed.  It's a small detail that bugs me more than it probably should.

Moving on.  My sources says Coyotes getting a burnt orange alt.

My source: instagram.  Trust me bro.

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

Looks better without white.  Also probably without red (or replace the red with white.)

They should wear this full time, using a white sweater only as a clash shirt for when they play a team like the Flyers, though even then it might not be necessary.

Well they'd need to have a white jersey for when they play in Nashville.

I don't mind that they've simplified their colour scheme a bit here. Black for Vegas is basically what navy is for Vancouver. Used prominently in the primary logo and some alternate jerseys, but nowhere to be found on the main uniforms.

While I agree that a team called the Golden Knights should wear a gold primary jersey, I just don't love their shade of gold. It comes across more as a mustard color to me. I would think a gold jersey would pop a bit more, but it just seems drab. IDK, something isn't right with it, but I can't really put my finger on it. The crest gets lost somehow too. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

While I agree that a team called the Golden Knights should wear a gold primary jersey, I just don't love their shade of gold. It comes across more as a mustard color to me. I would think a gold jersey would pop a bit more, but it just seems drab. IDK, something isn't right with it, but I can't really put my finger on it. The crest gets lost somehow too. 

It's just plain ugly. I don't care if they have "golden" in their name, they will always look better using that shade of gold as a secondary color. I know garish and tacky can be synonymous with the general Las Vegas brand, but it doesn't have to be. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

It seems like the type of jersey that looks really nice up close, but the shade gets muddled from a distance/on tv.

spacer.png

On another note, the Coyotes centre ice design has been revealed, and like it had been reported it features both their logo & the Sun Devils pitchfork.

spacer.png

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

It seems like the type of jersey that looks really nice up close, but the shade gets muddled from a distance/on tv.

spacer.png

Every time I see a closeup of this jersey, I think "they made an entire jersey out of the fabric used on Captain Kirk's sleeves."

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1