2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

4 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The viewership numbers aren't the key that decides the value, it's what broadcasters will pay for your TV rights; and Phoenix as a TV market is considerably more valuable than Quebec City is.

You don't believe yourself

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The viewership numbers aren't the key that decides the value, it's what broadcasters will pay for your TV rights; and Phoenix as a TV market is considerably more valuable than Quebec City is. Add the fact that you'd need to realign the league for such a relocation to even work (meaning fighting one of Detroit or Columbus on going West) and it just becomes far, far too much hassle to be worth losing a large US market for a small Canadian market.

At one point, no one wanted the Coyotes anymore and were owned by the League. That in itself seemed like an even bigger hassle, especially when they kept getting kicked out of their building.

Re-aligning would not be a problem. But I guess TV broadcasters money is what counts.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Re-aligning would not be a problem. But I guess TV broadcasters money is what counts.

What? It'd absolutely be a huge problem for either Detroit or Columbus if they have to get pushed back out West just to facilitate the Coyotes moving to QC, they literally pushed to move East because they hated being in the West so much so that's already two votes against the idea on principle; and Boston would immediately put a vote against it as well, because Jacobs doesn't want to go back to QC, he wants a team in Houston.

That's three immediate "nay"'s, one of whom is well-known as being effectively the head of the Board of Governors and could very easily sway opinions against the idea by himself.

And of course TV broadcaster money counts, that's where the biggest cut of the league's media revenue comes from, what with that gargantuan deal they just got with ESPN and TNT. What major sports league doesn't try to do things to maximize their TV revenue?

37 minutes ago, the admiral said:

You don't believe yourself

Phoenix's TV market is 2,158,240 people.

Quebec City's metro has a population of 839,311.

If I'm a TV broadcaster in the US looking to buy NHL rights, I'd absolutely pay more for those rights if they have the Phoenix market than if they didn't and had Quebec City instead. On the NHL's end, it makes more sense to keep Phoenix as well; Canada's already got such a massive TV deal anyways between Rogers and Sportsnet that you don't really have any incentive to bump it up with more teams. Maybe when the deal comes up, they'll be interested in bumping it...but that's not for a while yet.

Remember, it took a literal crisis with nowhere to play and owners forcing the team out for the NHL to give up Atlanta, a large US market, to Winnipeg, a small Canadian market. The Coyotes have a place to play with modern amenities, no matter how small it is, and ownership keeping them in place; so there's no incentive from the league to relocate the team at this point, especially since they're right in the midst of getting an arena deal worked out.

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

On 9/22/2022 at 9:55 AM, officeglenn said:

Let's keep it focused on logos and jerseys in this thread, folks. Talk of the long-term viability of the Coyotes in Arizona can go in the Sports in General forum.

anyways

On 9/21/2022 at 10:08 PM, squamfan said:

Based on rumors here is what the coyotes third jersey is going to look like

And here is what the reverse retro is going to look like

Are the people in the Coyotes’ branding department alright? That’s a lot of peyote all at once. Someone make sure they have water and a good tripsitter.

On 2022-09-22 at 9:14 PM, DTConcepts said:

The Bruins have announced a five year (!!!) jersey ad deal with cybersecurity company Rapid7.

Rapid7 were also I think the first tenant in the office building that they built on the site of the original Boston Garden, which was a parking lot for 25 years until they finally built an office building on it 3 months before covid. So that’s interesting. Still couldn’t tell you what Rapid7 is or does.

Don’t forget everyone, TV market money is the only thing that matters. Literally no other factors define the success of a franchise or a sport.

• Like 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

23 minutes ago, Digby said:

Rapid7 were also I think the first tenant in the office building that they built on the site of the original Boston Garden, which was a parking lot for 25 years until they finally built an office building on it 3 months before covid. So that’s interesting. Still couldn’t tell you what Rapid7 is or does.

Do you like the new development around/atop TD Garden? I feel like it's the kind of thing I should like, always being in favor of urban density and against what a modest grey box the arena had always been, but looking at it, something about it feels kind of unwieldy and/or tacky.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

57 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Don’t forget everyone, TV market money is the only thing that matters. Literally no other factors define the success of a franchise or a sport.

Wrong. Ticket sales are more important in the NHL. I would agree with you in the NFL, MLB, and NBA, but the NHL is still a ticket driven market. It's why making the playoffs is so important, that's where NHL teams make money. The farther in the playoffs they go, the more money they make.

5 minutes ago, mjarvie said:

Wrong. Ticket sales are more important in the NHL. I would agree with you in the NFL, MLB, and NBA, but the NHL is still a ticket driven market. It's why making the playoffs is so important, that's where NHL teams make money. The farther in the playoffs they go, the more money they make.

I'm 95% certain he was being sarcastic.

7 hours ago, mjarvie said:

Every pro sports team makes more money the further they get in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just an FYI, I wouldn't read too much into teams not having any ads at this point in time. A lot of these deals won't be finalized until right before the regular season begins, exactly like what happened with helmet ads for many teams in the past two seasons.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, M4One said:

It's a small thing, but it doesn't look right without the pant stripes.

Small things add up. It's really frustrating with a team like the Canucks because they've finally got the uniforms in a really good spot. Obviously the toilet seat collars suck and the font could be better (and the logo argument will never be resolved so I won't even broach it) but they've got a great design they can finally own. And they just can't help themselves by making inexplicable downgrades like removing the pants stripes for no reason.

9 hours ago, M4One said:

It's a small thing, but it doesn't look right without the pant stripes.

Personally I didn't love the old pant stripe design. The white stripes being the same width as the green stripe didn't match the jersey/sock striping, so it looked inconsistent. 

They should have gone with the Islanders-style pant stripe instead. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Love 1

On 2022-09-25 at 12:18 AM, the admiral said:

Do you like the new development around/atop TD Garden? I feel like it's the kind of thing I should like, always being in favor of urban density and against what a modest grey box the arena had always been, but looking at it, something about it feels kind of unwieldy and/or tacky.

I mean that's pretty much it. It's fine. Almost anything is better than an wasteful empty lot in downtown Boston. I'm not really interested in the luxury condos, office building, night club, gigantic underground grocery store or Guy Fieri burrito restaurant so I can't really speak to those. The food court is the usual fast-casual concepts that have enough VC backing to afford rent in a new build, not anything revelatory but better than the nightmare bro bars across the street. The gigantic sports pub is bad. The fancy movie cinema was kind of nice for the few months it was open before covid and bankruptcy. Every new building in Boston makes a big show of "we're not the old stodgy Boston" by adopting a weird offset stack-of-boxes aesthetic, and at this point this is an area where I prefer old stodgy Boston.

• Like 1